Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM

440 posts, read 1,026,907 times

Advertisements

Lately I've opened my eyes to a lot of things in my life and one thing I have noticed more then anything is that people have stopped caring. People seem to have lost a part of their soul and have become selfish. Example-Most people see an accident on the side of the road and slow down just to see whats going on or they complain about traffic because of it and immediately point fingers at who is wrong and assume the person deserved it. When did the world become so cruel? Has it always been so cruel? Why is it that when we pass an accident or r waiting in traffic because of someone we dont think "wow thats awful, that person is a mother or a father or daughter or son or friend to someone" or "I hope they are ok they must be so scared." Would you stop if you saw an accident happen? Would you be concerned even if you didnt know them? Or would you just complain and speed home or wherever your going? Why do people have to get so wrapped up in their own life and be so selfish? This is just one example but it has me very annoyed. I'm not saying that all people are this way but most who I have encountered are. And when I was in an accident recently the person took off and never looked back, not only that, but NOBODY stopped for almost 5 mins on a main rd in rush hour! I know I would have stopped if I saw an accident just happen before my eyes, but would you?
I recently spoke with an elderly lady (74) whos car broke down on a main street, the car was SMOKING to the point of not being able to see through it, she stood outside of her car for 45mins waiving people down and NOBODY stopped!! She had no cell phone and couldnt walk far due to age, it was an old lady not a murderer and nobody stopped. She had to drive her car to the closest mechanic in that condition.
And before people ask what type of neighborhood I live in, its a very nice area shockingly.
There are many other topics that I could point out but I dont want to make this longer then it is haha. I'm no angel I have been selfish many times but I am changing my attitude about life after many recent events. I needed to really rant about this issue...wow! I'm sick of people thinking they are such "good people" though when they are NO WHERE near being a good person. You're thoughts on all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,936,484 times
Maybe it's because you live in Pennsylvania. The last time I went there on business, I thought, "Holy mackerel, people are rude up here."

Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,993,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Maybe it's because you live in Pennsylvania. The last time I went there on business, I thought, "Holy mackerel, people are rude up here."

LOL Well growing up in Philly has definitely taught me that sometimes it's probably in your best interests to let the professionals help out that damsel in distress. Big Butchy her boyfriend might be waiting in the lurches to rob and pummel you.

Where are you located, CPG?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 PM

You're probably right! I guess I just dont understand why people in general act his way (in relationships too...almost as if love is nonchalant also!) IDK guess I need to find a better place to go!! lol

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Dont live in Philly, live in suburbs...still shocks me..guess it shouldnt

Old 09-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Well, I'll say this. To me, the perfect barometer is how important manners are in the raising of a child in a culture. Parents who do not teach their children how to say, at the very least, "Please" and "Thank You," and demonstrate respect for others reap the rewards with self-centered offspring. And society suffers as a result.

Now, of course, there will be the kneejerk reactions from people saying, "Why my kids don't do that and they're perfect little people." Or somebody else will say, "I knew a guy five years ago with perfect manners and he was the biggest a-hole I ever met." However, by and large, a society that believes etiquette is some pointless affectation is really a society that has stopped caring about its personal interactions. And, having lived in the South for some time, I have to admit that I now enjoy teenagers addressing me as Sir. Hey, the area has its imperfections. But at a fundamental level, strangers here know how to treat one another with civility and tact, something that I've grown to really appreciate.

And that elderly lady you cited? There is simply no way she would have been allowed to sit by that roadside by herself for that length of time. Dozens would have stopped. It would have been considered a scandal otherwise.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-02-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
LOL Well growing up in Philly has definitely taught me that sometimes it's probably in your best interests to let the professionals help out that damsel in distress. Big Butchy her boyfriend might be waiting in the lurches to rob and pummel you.

Where are you located, CPG?
Hahahaha...this was in Philly and Allentown. Alabama at this point.

Case in point? If you watch any television at all over the past few years, Liberty National has been showing all these commercials showing nice people doing nice things for other people. I listened to a bunch of Southerners talking about those commercials, trying to understand the point of them. When I pointed out to several people the importance of civility and going the extra mile, this sweet older lady said, "Oh, honey, we do that anyway. We don't need an insurance company to tell us what to do."

That being said, it's not just Southerners. Really, New Yorkers are terribly nice people.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM

I feel the same way, I was outraged when I heard this. She was almost in tears telling me what happened.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:16 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,993,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hahahaha...this was in Philly and Allentown. Alabama at this point.

Case in point? If you watch any television at all over the past few years, Liberty National has been showing all these commercials showing nice people doing nice things for other people. I listened to a bunch of Southerners talking about those commercials, trying to understand the point of them. When I pointed out to several people the importance of civility and going the extra mile, this sweet older lady said, "Oh, honey, we do that anyway. We don't need an insurance company to tell us what to do."

That being said, it's not just Southerners. Really, New Yorkers are terribly nice people.
Yeah, I'm not going to deny I'm a product of my environment. Not saying that I won't help others in need. That's not the case. But in a lot of respects my instinct is to see if someone who is qualified to help is available, before I get myself involved.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM

751 posts, read 2,473,214 times
Wow your posts make me feel like I'm an angel! LOL.

One time on my way to work, I witnessed the tail end of an accident. I didn't see the cars hit, but I saw one car going where it didn't belong after the hit. When I first saw it, my brain couldn't comprehend what was happening! It was very odd. This happened at the intersection before my work parking lot. So I parked my car in our lot and ran down to the accident. The car that was "going where it didn't belong" had 4 adults that seemed to be ok, cause they got out and were swearing about the damage. The other car had a 75 ish year old man, he was very confused and his head was bleeding. I had to convince him to sit down and stay there cause he kept trying to walk around in the intersection. I'm sure he would have been hit by a passing car. As I was running to the accient I called 911 and the lady was like, why are you so out of breath? And I'm like cause I am running to the accident to help them, and she is like, oh you don't need to do that the police and ambulance are on the way. Whatever lady.

One time I saw someone hit a deer head on on the highway but it was rush hour and they were heading in the other direction. So I got off at the next exit and went back to the car. No one else was stopped to help her. She was just shocked and sitting there holding the steering wheel. I asked her if she was ok, and she kinda snapped out of it and called for help herself.

But I'm not a nurse or paramedic so I wouldn't have been able to "help" them, but I just thought being there for them would be better then leaving them alone until the ambulance or police got there.

And it's funny about you saying kids are not polite. I went with my kids to this little pond so they could try to catch the frogs. (We don't keep them, they just get a kick out of seeing them and let them go). And this other boy and his dad showed up cause he likes to catch them too. Well I had been sitting a little ways off, just still in eye sight. But I then took the dog for a walk around the trail, where they couldn't see me through the trees but I could see them. They went over and were talking to the boy and his dad. When I came back and was talking to the dad, he said that my kids are the most polite kids he has ever met! And then his kid proceeded to tell him to hurry up and go get something for him out of the car! No please or thank you. It was so rude of the kid I wanted to scream, but the dad just went and got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships