U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,082 posts, read 5,349,148 times
Reputation: 12576

Advertisements

Listen to any Taylor Swift song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
7,361 posts, read 12,896,172 times
Reputation: 30810
I just got a rep for the story I told about my parents and thought I'd add something. There is a poem that my dad is known for quoting as the way he feels about his life.

I’ve not got lots of riches, and sometimes the road’s been tough
But I've got loved ones all around me, and that makes me rich enough.
Though I've never made a fortune, and it's probably too late now.
But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow.
As I go along life's way, I'm reaping better than I sowed and
Thank God for his blessings and the mercies He's bestowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer, 'Cause my cup has overflowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
40,158 posts, read 15,122,376 times
Reputation: 102034
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
don't know if this story is "great" to anyone other than myself but i'm bored so here goes.
2001 i leave my marriage with my daughter after 18 years of misery. 2002 i start playing rummy and dominoes at break and lunch-time at work with another guy and a couple of the women. one of the women who i've known for a few years played every day with us. we'd had one or two conversations over the years but that's it. i was married and she was taken. as we're playing games she starts making subtle contact with me such as our hands touching when i reach for a card or a domino. or our legs or feet touch under the table. eventually the touching is not so subtle and i figure the other players notice. other guys talk to her at work also and i don't like it. by that time in 2002 she's dating other guys at work and i'm not sure i'm her type. one of the original women that started playing with us suggests i ask her out.
one day she's standing at the break table chatting with me as i'm sitting there and i figure "what the heck she's pretty enough what's the worst that can happen" so i ask her if she'd like to go out sometime fully expecting her to say "no". she shruggs and says "sure why not".
1st date we go out to dinner and realize we have tons of stuff in common and i drop her off at her door and don't even kiss her which i find out later bothered her a little. 2nd date(2 days later) is dinner and a movie and i tell her i don't share so dating other guys is over if she wants to keep dating me. we tell each other what kind of things are important to us and what our values are. we kiss briefly as we say "goodbye"
i'm not gonna get into the 3rd date but we knew we had something very special and made a commitment to each other very quickly. i was going through the whole divorce thing which was awful but she got me through the ordeal. i wouldn't wish divorce on my worst enemy. we've been together just about 8 years now and it's been the happiest 8 years of my life. i had more happiness in our 1st 18 days that i had in the 18 years of my 1st marriage. we're buddies and best friends and we belong together and that's one heck of a good feeling.
good luck to those of you looking for that special someone. have patience but keep you eyes open, you never know what'll happen...
Thanks for sharing, pkrplr. I love happy endings. Still waiting for mine......

I've got a happy love story about my brother to share. When my brother was almost 18 and just graduated from high school, he was at his girlfriend's graduation open house. They had been dating for about a year, but had sort of come to be more just friends than boyfriend and girlfriend. At the open house, his girlfriend introduced her cousin to my brother. There was IMMEDIATE chemistry with the cousin. They started dating. My bro went away to college, and the relationship survived the geographic separation. My bro joined the Air Force and served in the U.S. and in Viet Nam, and the relationship survived that separation, always continuing to grow. They got married on 12/06/1969.

In the 41 years they have been married, my bro and his wife have always acted like they did when they were 17 and first falling in love. They hold hands, they whisper in each other's ear and giggle, they act silly. (Sometimes I jokingly say to them, "Oh, for Pete's sake.....GET A ROOM!" She leaves love notes in his briefcase or his suitcase when he travels for business, and also when he must travel, they talk on the phone every morning and twice each evening, and they have phone sex to keep things lively. How many couples who've been married 41 years still do that?

They've had more than their share of trials, too. My sis-in-law had surgery to remove a massive brain tumor in 1981. Two years later, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent almost three years of brutal, experimental chemotherapy, all while raising two sons. Massive medical bills almost ruined them financially. But through all those trying times, they only grew closer together. To this day, they remain the closest, sweetest, most perfectly matched couple I've ever known. It warms my heart to be around them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
 
4,868 posts, read 7,339,042 times
Reputation: 3134
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Thanks for sharing, pkrplr. I love happy endings. Still waiting for mine......

I've got a happy love story about my brother to share. When my brother was almost 18 and just graduated from high school, he was at his girlfriend's graduation open house. They had been dating for about a year, but had sort of come to be more just friends than boyfriend and girlfriend. At the open house, his girlfriend introduced her cousin to my brother. There was IMMEDIATE chemistry with the cousin. They started dating. My bro went away to college, and the relationship survived the geographic separation. My bro joined the Air Force and served in the U.S. and in Viet Nam, and the relationship survived that separation, always continuing to grow. They got married on 12/06/1969.

In the 41 years they have been married, my bro and his wife have always acted like they did when they were 17 and first falling in love. They hold hands, they whisper in each other's ear and giggle, they act silly. (Sometimes I jokingly say to them, "Oh, for Pete's sake.....GET A ROOM!" She leaves love notes in his briefcase or his suitcase when he travels for business, and also when he must travel, they talk on the phone every morning and twice each evening, and they have phone sex to keep things lively. How many couples who've been married 41 years still do that?

They've had more than their share of trials, too. My sis-in-law had surgery to remove a massive brain tumor in 1981. Two years later, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent almost three years of brutal, experimental chemotherapy, all while raising two sons. Massive medical bills almost ruined them financially. But through all those trying times, they only grew closer together. To this day, they remain the closest, sweetest, most perfectly matched couple I've ever known. It warms my heart to be around them!
This story warmed my heart too! This is precisely the level of love I want someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 AM
 
1,177 posts, read 1,931,234 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Thanks for sharing, pkrplr. I love happy endings. Still waiting for mine......

I've got a happy love story about my brother to share. When my brother was almost 18 and just graduated from high school, he was at his girlfriend's graduation open house. They had been dating for about a year, but had sort of come to be more just friends than boyfriend and girlfriend. At the open house, his girlfriend introduced her cousin to my brother. There was IMMEDIATE chemistry with the cousin. They started dating. My bro went away to college, and the relationship survived the geographic separation. My bro joined the Air Force and served in the U.S. and in Viet Nam, and the relationship survived that separation, always continuing to grow. They got married on 12/06/1969.

In the 41 years they have been married, my bro and his wife have always acted like they did when they were 17 and first falling in love. They hold hands, they whisper in each other's ear and giggle, they act silly. (Sometimes I jokingly say to them, "Oh, for Pete's sake.....GET A ROOM!" She leaves love notes in his briefcase or his suitcase when he travels for business, and also when he must travel, they talk on the phone every morning and twice each evening, and they have phone sex to keep things lively. How many couples who've been married 41 years still do that?

They've had more than their share of trials, too. My sis-in-law had surgery to remove a massive brain tumor in 1981. Two years later, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent almost three years of brutal, experimental chemotherapy, all while raising two sons. Massive medical bills almost ruined them financially. But through all those trying times, they only grew closer together. To this day, they remain the closest, sweetest, most perfectly matched couple I've ever known. It warms my heart to be around them!
awesome love story.
they are truly in love and it's cool to watch that stuff. my aunt and uncle who are both deceased were like that. he was her hero until the day she died and he loved her to death. my wife and i aspire to be like that and we're getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
 
Location: NW Indiana
40,158 posts, read 15,122,376 times
Reputation: 102034
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
awesome love story.
they are truly in love and it's cool to watch that stuff. my aunt and uncle who are both deceased were like that. he was her hero until the day she died and he loved her to death. my wife and i aspire to be like that and we're getting there.
That's wonderful to hear, pkrplr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,904,422 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
Does anyone here have a really great love story to tell? I am sincerely asking.

Anyone?
Yes, I have one that was told to me some time ago :

There was this Indian Reservation that consisted of about 50 people living in harmony until one day a fellow Brave came to the Chief and reported that someone has been stealing a chicken of his every now and then but he doesnt know who would do that. The Chief shrugged it off . But in another weeks time, a different Brave came to the Chief and said someone was stealing his chickens almost every day. The Chief grew very concerned and it made him upset to think there was someone who would do that in his Tribe. In 2 days time, a yet different Brave had a meeting with the Chief and said that ALL of his chickens were stolen. This made the Chief extremely upset and angry , so he devised a plan to end this terrible thing that was happening ; he put out a decree that if the Person whos been doing this is found, that it would be met with death by whipping. He felt sure that there would now be no more problem. But the next day, a group of Braves brought the ongoing Thief to the Chief , as a trap had been layed to capture the Thief and now they had him in thier possession. When the Chief came out of his tent ready to confront the Thief....the Chief stopped dead in his tracks as his eyes couldnt believe what he was seeing ----- the Theif was his very own mother standing there sobbing and asking for mercy. As the entire Tribe gathered around, they wondered just what the Chief would do ..........would he follow thru and watch his own mother being whipped to death ??? The Chief ordered for his mother to be tied to the whipping post and her back was made fully exposed . The Chief then handed over this huge whip to a well built Brave with metal tearing objects on the end of each leather tail . The entire Tribe was in horror at this point. As the big Brave was rearing up to give the first of many lashings, the Chief walked over to his mother and layed his entire body over hers , then shouted out 'Begin the lashings' , and the lashings continued until the Chief no longer moved and his life was taken from him. The Chief was removed from hanging over his mothers body and his mother got up and went free, completely unharmed.

This love story represents the greatest love story known to mankind , with God sending Jesus to die for us that we could be forgiven of all the times we willingly rebelled against God and wished he didnt even exist.

Merry Christmas, indeed ; God is offering his love and mercy to you too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
9,371 posts, read 17,966,816 times
Reputation: 18405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yes, I have one that was told to me some time ago :

There was this Indian Reservation that consisted of about 50 people living in harmony until one day a fellow Brave came to the Chief and reported that someone has been stealing a chicken of his every now and then but he doesnt know who would do that. The Chief shrugged it off . But in another weeks time, a different Brave came to the Chief and said someone was stealing his chickens almost every day. The Chief grew very concerned and it made him upset to think there was someone who would do that in his Tribe. In 2 days time, a yet different Brave had a meeting with the Chief and said that ALL of his chickens were stolen. This made the Chief extremely upset and angry , so he devised a plan to end this terrible thing that was happening ; he put out a decree that if the Person whos been doing this is found, that it would be met with death by whipping. He felt sure that there would now be no more problem. But the next day, a group of Braves brought the ongoing Thief to the Chief , as a trap had been layed to capture the Thief and now they had him in thier possession. When the Chief came out of his tent ready to confront the Thief....the Chief stopped dead in his tracks as his eyes couldnt believe what he was seeing ----- the Theif was his very own mother standing there sobbing and asking for mercy. As the entire Tribe gathered around, they wondered just what the Chief would do ..........would he follow thru and watch his own mother being whipped to death ??? The Chief ordered for his mother to be tied to the whipping post and her back was made fully exposed . The Chief then handed over this huge whip to a well built Brave with metal tearing objects on the end of each leather tail . The entire Tribe was in horror at this point. As the big Brave was rearing up to give the first of many lashings, the Chief walked over to his mother and layed his entire body over hers , then shouted out 'Begin the lashings' , and the lashings continued until the Chief no longer moved and his life was taken from him. The Chief was removed from hanging over his mothers body and his mother got up and went free, completely unharmed.

This love story represents the greatest love story known to mankind , with God sending Jesus to die for us that we could be forgiven of all the times we willingly rebelled against God and wished he didnt even exist.

Merry Christmas, indeed ; God is offering his love and mercy to you too .
Yep, I once dated a very religious Christian girl--every time we did it she'd scream "Oh God, Oh Jesus, Oh God!" Quite spiritual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Tucson
42,837 posts, read 78,860,965 times
Reputation: 22814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Yep, I once dated a very religious Christian girl--every time we did it she'd scream "Oh God, Oh Jesus, Oh God!" Quite spiritual.
I use God's name in vain quite a bit, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
 
3,261 posts, read 4,651,331 times
Reputation: 3968
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I use God's name in vain quite a bit, too.
When it's really that good, even the Atheists find God.

EDIT: Or maybe not??
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:6...3_57d8.jpg&t=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top