U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:30 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,820,448 times

Advertisements

IF cars are a hobby there has got to be a car club or two in Chicagoland. I know Nascar has a race there. You should check it out, look at vendor displays for ideas to grow your hobby...maybe you could find a new job in that field. OTOH it may be hard to meet women there. I've found best results when doing an activity where women will be present like the food shelf, church (watch out you maybe a fresh rabbit amongst wolves), or other charitable activity. Don't miss that annual Breast Cancer walk/run...killer place to meet women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM

809 posts, read 2,596,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
IF cars are a hobby there has got to be a car club or two in Chicagoland. I know Nascar has a race there. You should check it out, look at vendor displays for ideas to grow your hobby...maybe you could find a new job in that field. OTOH it may be hard to meet women there. I've found best results when doing an activity where women will be present like the food shelf, church (watch out you maybe a fresh rabbit amongst wolves), or other charitable activity. Don't miss that annual Breast Cancer walk/run...killer place to meet women.

sorry just had to mention I have NO interest in Nascar whatsoever. That is a WHOLE other breed of racing that just doesnt interest me :P Lol just had to mention that.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM

27 posts, read 61,083 times
Join a gym. The exercise will do your mind good and you can ask people to socialize outside of class. Some gyms have really cool classes. Mine has "biking and beers". We take a spin class then have beers together after. I have met a lot of great people through the gym, which keeps me motivated to go. Meetup.com is a great resource. You can start your own meetup group as well.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk2funk View Post
Join a gym. The exercise will do your mind good and you can ask people to socialize outside of class. Some gyms have really cool classes. Mine has "biking and beers". We take a spin class then have beers together after. I have met a lot of great people through the gym, which keeps me motivated to go. Meetup.com is a great resource. You can start your own meetup group as well.

Kind of cancels each other out doesnt it?? lol.....

But ya, I do have a membership to a gym, I'm kinda shy tho and I really have to pull myself to go there, and once I'm there I kind of keep my headphones on the whole time, head down, concentrate on what I'm doing and hope no one is staring at me as I lift those weights one more excrutiating time :P

Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Ep-

2,070 posts, read 3,641,239 times
I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a few good friends, but I would really like to expand and meet some new people. It's really hard as everyone tends to get busy with kids, SOs, family, etc as we get older. To echo something said earlier, it is easy to find acquaintances but difficult to make friends.

I joined an animal shelter last week since I love animals and have started checking into groups on Craiglist and Meetup. I might actually try some activities I know nothing about and see i I like them. If I don't meet anyone at least I should have a good time and maybe learn something new.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM

15,472 posts, read 7,481,008 times
Keep doing what you're doing as far as working and getting your debts paid off. Remind yourself how that will be good benefit down the road. When that's taken care of, you can set another goal.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,820,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
sorry just had to mention I have NO interest in Nascar whatsoever. That is a WHOLE other breed of racing that just doesnt interest me :P Lol just had to mention that.
Sorry, I prefer F1 type myself. I knew a guy who did work on the mini-indy circuit around the country, maybe check that out. Granted its not a cheap hobby as you mentioned.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Sorry, I prefer F1 type myself. I knew a guy who did work on the mini-indy circuit around the country, maybe check that out. Granted its not a cheap hobby as you mentioned.
Actually my preferred style of racing is either autocross, rally, rallycross or gymkhana.....

I LOVEEEES me some Subarus! LOL (ie the screen name)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or