Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I date within my own race because of the ethnic culture element. As much as as I like some hot anglo guys and some yummy black guys, I have decided that if I am going to live for years with someone, it might as well be someone of my own ethnic background. For me , its all about culture and I wont date someone of my own race that doesn't have the same culture as me. I am latina, and no matter how much I get along with some other races and cultures, its a different thing altogether to be that person's mate.

I have dated anglos, blacks, and latinos. I prefer the latino cause we have had so many things in common that its just easy to get along better. However I do find other races physically cute. Just not compatible.

And yes, I am from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
i'm Laotion and i loooooooooove white boys.
Depends on what gender you are... PM me for directions

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I date within my own race because of the ethnic culture element. As much as as I like some hot anglo guys and some yummy black guys, I have decided that if I am going to live for years with someone, it might as well be someone of my own ethnic background. For me , its all about culture and I wont date someone of my own race that doesn't have the same culture as me. I am latina, and no matter how much I get along with some other races and cultures, its a different thing altogether to be that person's mate.

I have dated anglos, blacks, and latinos. I prefer the latino cause we have had so many things in common that its just easy to get along better. However I do find other races physically cute. Just not compatible.

And yes, I am from Texas.
If you were white you would have a lot of people attacking you for this opinion But that's a different story.

I respect your view. I just don't get the parts I highlighted above.
Dosen't make much sense to me. Just because he's not white/black etc. he has a lot of in common with you

Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
If you were white you would have a lot of people attacking you for this opinion But that's a different story.

I respect your view. I just don't get the parts I highlighted above.
Dosen't make much sense to me.

I try to be honest. I'm sorry if anyone was offended by it. I really do like all races, but when it comes to picking a mate, I prefer someone who knows my parents culture and thinks the way they do. Its about family, and just having many of the same goals in life. For example, I am american, but my parents ideas about life have a big impact on me. So anybody who isn't latino and from my background usually doesn't understand what they and I am all about. So I just pick someone who has about the same background.

P.S. There are people that are latino that do not share the same background as me. Thats why they also don't cut it as a mate. But there are not that many anglo or black guys that know what latino culture means. So I just go ahead and pick someone with the same race , because it means they might have some common culture background, but that is not always the case either.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM

438 posts, read 946,808 times
As others have said, just because someone is of a different race or ethnicity doesn't mean they don't share the same values that you do. Sharing the same racial background does not in any way ensure that traditions and culture will be similar.
In some cases, cultural values can be quite different and I expect that could be a valid reason to discontinue a relationship. For instance, there are a variety of religious attitudes I would not be compatible with. But that could well be a problem within my own cultural group too.
Things like food preferences and daily habits can be worked out.
However I don't make the assumption that just because someone is black or mixed or from a different country, that automatically they are less suitable than a person of my race or nationality.
My s.o. is Latino and I'm white but we've never had significant issues arising from that.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
If you were white you would have a lot of people attacking you for this opinion
Why?

Do you not feel it is fair to have racial preferences in dating and choosing a spouse? I certainly do.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why?

Do you not feel it is fair to have racial preferences in dating and choosing a spouse? I certainly do.
Umm, that's exactly I said/meant.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Umm, that's exactly I said/meant.
Ah. Okay...sorry, guess I misread that.

But why the "people would attack you" thing?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
As others have said, just because someone is of a different race or ethnicity doesn't mean they don't share the same values that you do. Sharing the same racial background does not in any way ensure that traditions and culture will be similar.
In some cases, cultural values can be quite different and I expect that could be a valid reason to discontinue a relationship. For instance, there are a variety of religious attitudes I would not be compatible with. But that could well be a problem within my own cultural group too.
Things like food preferences and daily habits can be worked out.
However I don't make the assumption that just because someone is black or mixed or from a different country, that automatically they are less suitable than a person of my race or nationality.
My s.o. is Latino and I'm white but we've never had significant issues arising from that.
Absolutely. I think that the more narrowly-defined one's sense of culture is, the more inclined they will be to attach immutable cultural characteristics to race, and the less likely they will consider someone who happens to be of a different race suitable for compatibility.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
I have dated Hispanic, Black, Caucasian and Japanese. I prefer Caucasian men. I'm Hispanic. I've had good and bad experiences with all of them.

I have rejected people for being the stereotype. Otherwise, I'm open but prefer Caucasian men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships