Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,290,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I do know Liz. But if you don't know I just refuse to explain because its not my job.
You refuse to explain because you don't know, just admit it. Most of what constitutes "race", "ethnicity" and "culture" was invented during the formation of the nation states within the last several centuries or so. Before that people identified themselves by lineage and tribe.

"Culture" for the most part is propaganda and a myth. It creates identity where there is none because all substantial ties have been replaced by nation states.

Believe it if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,377,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
You refuse to explain because you don't know, just admit it. Most of what constitutes "race", "ethnicity" and "culture" was invented during the formation of the nation states within the last several centuries or so. Before that people identified themselves by lineage and tribe.

"Culture" for the most part is propaganda and a myth. It creates identity where there is none because all substantial ties have been replaced by nation states.

Believe it if you want.
This is why I didn't want to start a discussion with you. You already have your pre-conceived notions on the subject and anything I say would of been useless. Since I don't want to get into what is and isn't culture, then I will just say, beleive what you want. I have no reason to lie about the existance of culture and traditions.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
This is why I didn't want to start a discussion with you. You already have your pre-conceived notions on the subject and anything I say would of been useless. Since I don't want to get into what is and isn't culture, then I will just say, beleive what you want. I have no reason to lie about the existance of culture and traditions.
My notions are not preconceived. They're well documented by anthropologists and philosophers alike. But it is apparent you have already bought into this notion of Latino culture, so I can see there is not point in persuading you. But I do think, if you are going to claim to want someone who understands what "Latino culture means" you should at least attempt to understand it yourself. What does Latino culture mean? It means a land of Natives was conquered and the people who lived there originally were slaughtered, forced into slavery, rationed off and their history, language and identity was stripped away. They were made to adopt the Spanish language, given Spanish names, forced into a Spanish style of life, while any vestiges of their previous way of life has wasted away and has been forgotten with time. That is what Latino culture means.

People identify themselves by Latino, for the same reason they identify themselves as anything else. The original ties to the land and to their history has been replaced by empires, city states and nation states. Hence the birth of "culture". All substance has been replaced with symbolism, and the myth of mass identity.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 AM

cul·ture

cul·ture [kúlchər]
n (plural cul·tures)
1. arts collectively: art, music, literature, and related intellectual activities, considered collectively Culture is necessary for a healthy society.
popular culture
2. knowledge and sophistication: enlightenment and sophistication acquired through education and exposure to the arts They are people of culture.
3. shared beliefs and values of group: the beliefs, customs, practices, and social behavior of a particular nation or people Southeast Asian culture
4. people with shared beliefs and practices: a group of people whose shared beliefs and practices identify the particular place, class, or time to which they belong 5. shared attitudes: a particular set of attitudes that characterizes a group of people The company tries hard to avoid a blame culture.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:16 AM

What you are describing Liz sounds like history, but not culture.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 AM

Some Books On Culture:

Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism
By Benedict Anderson

Amazon.com: Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism, New Edition (9781844670864): Benedict Anderson: Books

The Invention of Tradition
By Eric Hobsbawm

Amazon.com: The Invention of Tradition (Canto) (9780521437738): Eric Hobsbawm, Terence Ranger: Books

Culture and Imperialism
By Edward W. Said

Amazon.com: Culture and Imperialism (9780679750543): Edward W. Said: Books

Race, Nation, Class: Ambiguous Identities
By Etienne Balibar

Amazon.com: Race, Nation, Class: Ambiguous Identities (9780860915423): Etienne Balibar, Immanuel Wallerstein: Books

Old 09-09-2009, 02:54 AM

Default A Research Paper You Can Read:

Ethnicity and Identity in the Caribbean: Decentering a Myth

By Ralph M. Premdas

http://www.nd.edu/~kellogg/publicati...rs/WPS/234.pdf

Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM

37,470 posts, read 45,693,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
"Culture" for the most part is propaganda and a myth.
Have you ever been outside of the US?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Have you ever been outside of the US?
Have you ever read philosophy on culture?

And to answer your question, no I have not been outside of the US. In fact I have never been outside of the small town I live in. Its been years since I even left my neighborhood. Are you trying to tell me, suburbs do not exist in other parts of the world?! Aaaahhh too much for my limited traveling experience to handle!

P.S. I hope you are picking up on my sarcasm.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,602,635 times
LizCab44,

I wanted to thank you for clearing up what culture really is and for providing so many informative links. The definition that temptation001 provided is like so many definitions that we adhere to, definitions that have been spoon-fed to us that we rarely dare to question.

I'm believe culture is much more individualized and forever changing. But too many people treat is as something static that they inherit, like eye color. It still amazes me how many people will say they're Catholic or some other religion, not because they necessarily agree with it, but because that's what their parents were. Each of us has the option to reject our parents' culture or only incorporate certain elements of it. Saying that culture X consists of language A, religion B, and food C is overly simplistic. It's this kind of thinking that causes so many to form preconceived notions about others. If I meet someone from Iran, should I assume that I know what language he'll speak, what religion he follows, and what food he likes? Of course not. I dated someone of another race who did this. She was so convinced my parents would not accept her because their "culture" would be incompatible with someone like her. Little did she know that my parents would've readily embraced her.

temptation001 seems to have been stumped. Instead of describing the Latino culture or describing how that culture even came into existence like you did, all we were given was a dictionary definition. IMO, everyone has a unique culture. There are beliefs and practices that my parents have which I have rejected. Likewise, there are some that I've incorporated. Does that mean I no longer belong to the same culture? Is being part of a culture an all-or-nothing proposition? What I also reject is the contention that you have to belong to someone's culture to truly understand them. I think that sells people short to say that they're not capable of truly understanding someone of a different background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships