Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times

Advertisements

Yup, I'll admit to it. Turned 30 this year. Divorced. In a good relationship - with a man who has had a vasectomy. I'm in school for the next 3-4 years.
*sigh*
I enjoy being around kids but sometimes I feel a little jealous, angry, sad.
The boyfriend says he'd get a reverse vasectomy if and when we both felt ready, probably when I am close to being done with school. IF we are still together. Things are great now, but divorce has made me cynical. It's just as well that I'm in school because emotionally I am not ready to 100% commit to someone. Not that you have to be committed to someone to have a baby.
I always thought I'd have 2 kids, ideally before turning 30. Now I'm looking at not even starting to try until I am 34, and I am nervous about thinking of trying much after age 35-37, due to the increased risk. I am open to adoption, but in my heart I'd really like to have at least one biologically.
Anyone else stressed about this? I don't really have anyone else to talk to about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Of course I am. But nothing social. I just set some milestones in my career and I'm clearly running out of time. Will turn 30 next year, eeeeeewww

Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,473 times
Problem with your plan is this: You say you are not ready, which you may no be. But by the time you are "ready" you may be single and not able to find anyone to have a kid with and this could be years pushing into your 40's.

But since you are not even married I would not even persue it yet anyhow, just something to think about as that clock ticks!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,213 times
LOL...I feel like that grandfather clock in the corner...

If I could just get someone to pull on that chain and keep me runnin I'd be just fine....

Old 09-08-2009, 02:41 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
That alarm went off a long time ago and it was so annoying i took that clock and threw it across the room.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
I'm 24 and I got the "Where is your life going?!" talk from my mother a few months ago. I find it rather disturbing, because out of all my siblings (I have 6), I, at 24, have been the most successful at this point in life. I have a career, a house, a car, I almost have a dog...

It's sad that success in my life, according to my mother, is defined as having a husband and kids. She said "you're not getting any younger, why haven't you found someone to marry??". Please. I'm practically still an infant to 90% of the world.

So, to answer your question: NO, I do not stress over my biological clock. I DO want to have my own family someday, but for goodness sake, give me some time!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Deadlines are usually a good way of motivating someone to do something they're not particularly anxious to do, like their taxes. But when it comes to major life decisions like getting married or having kids, deadlines can actually be a bad thing. I had a friend who was determined to get married before turning 30. Like a lot of women, she was worried that if she married too late, she'd miss out on her chance to start a family and she didn't want to have kids without being married first. So what happened? At 29, she was dating some guy who she wasn't really in love with, but she married him anyway. They had a kid and then a few years later, they divorced. She doesn't regret having her child. She just regrets who the father is. And unfortunately, that person will be in her life forever.

Too many people have kids for all the wrong reasons. They think about how happy they'll be to have kids, how all their friends have kids, how much their parents would love grandkids, and how their time is running out. Rarely do you meet someone saying they'd make a great parent and that any child would be lucky to have them as a mother or father.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Didn't bother me back then and now that time has WAY passed by to think about, doesn't now. No regrets at all.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
No. I want my clock to hurry up and explode so I dont have to keep taking BC pills. Id rather have hot flashes than children.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm 24 and I got the "Where is your life going?!" talk from my mother a few months ago. I find it rather disturbing, because out of all my siblings (I have 6), I, at 24, have been the most successful at this point in life. I have a career, a house, a car, I almost have a dog...

It's sad that success in my life, according to my mother, is defined as having a husband and kids. She said "you're not getting any younger, why haven't you found someone to marry??". Please. I'm practically still an infant to 90% of the world.

So, to answer your question: NO, I do not stress over my biological clock. I DO want to have my own family someday, but for goodness sake, give me some time!

You are SO young...Mom needs to back off!! Be proud of your accomplishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships