Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:38 PM

16 posts, read 32,726 times

Advertisements

Thank you again for all the honest posts. I agree that I need to separate myself from this...especially considering that my recent health has been reduced to illness upon illness. Its funny to think that I continue to think about what ppl may think or what will happen, when its very clear that this could literally take my life from me. I dont know why its like that...but I do understand that w/o my mental and physical health, I cant do anything in my life. Plus the high chance of physical abuse that is creeping and ready to reveal itself is something that I know I should not wait around to see. I really right now just have to look at my health, as hard as it is for me to just focus on myself...I honestly see that if this lifestyle persists, I will regret so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_GW View Post
Thank you again for all the honest posts. I agree that I need to separate myself from this...especially considering that my recent health has been reduced to illness upon illness. Its funny to think that I continue to think about what ppl may think or what will happen, when its very clear that this could literally take my life from me. I dont know why its like that...but I do understand that w/o my mental and physical health, I cant do anything in my life. Plus the high chance of physical abuse that is creeping and ready to reveal itself is something that I know I should not wait around to see. I really right now just have to look at my health, as hard as it is for me to just focus on myself...I honestly see that if this lifestyle persists, I will regret so much more.
Its a tough situation for you right now, but remember, its only for a season in your life. I hope you can save your marriage if you are both committed to professional counselling which is what its going to take..but theres no guarantee unfortunately. Distancing yourself from her (as in a seperation) if you feel rage when youre together, is the best thing ; you can make the situation so much more worse if you were to hit her hard and cause damage . You also need a good support system for yourself right now, as in family and close friends...so, draw on them and their strength . I would also spend lots of time on your knees bringing your pain to God and seeking wisdom.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
Sometimes things are so broken that they just can't be fixed. It's sad but true, and while you have a lot of living ahead of you, in the end, life is short and you can't afford to waste one more day in this toxic relationship. I wish you the best of luck.
I agree with this analysis. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Don't worry about what others might say. They are not in your situation and they have no idea how bad it is. You got married and gave it your best shot. It didn't work and is broken beyond repair. Get out and save your health, mind, and wife from potential abuse. Think of it as a lesson learned and get on with your life.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:05 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,772 times
Dude, like the Skid Row songs says,
the party's over, get the **** out!

Unless you're just codependent, in which case I would tell you to not only get out, but to seek therapy.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,269 times
Josh, I had a gf in a similiar situation. The husband ending up committing suicide. You need to seek professional help and separate. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
The last time Josh posed was the end of November...sure hope he comes back and gives us an update and that he is doing okay

11-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Josh_GW
15 posts, read 5,569 times

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate the support, it gives me some strength to keep pushing forward in my life, something I really need right now. Thank you!

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
Yeah, I would say you guys both have domestic violence issues (as is often the case, check out the work of Straus), and at least your wife is co-dependent.

You BOTH need therapy, SEPARATELY. Go down to the county mental health center and request it.

My guess is the relationship won't last.

Regardless of what she does, you need to change yourself. Even if she hits you first, you should not hit her back. You can't change her, but you can work on yourself. Good luck, these types of relationships can be very hard to break out of.

(By the way, if you do leave, and she calls you, threatening suicide, DO NOT go rescue her. Call the police.)

Old 12-12-2010, 06:09 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Its clearly a very toxic relationship. Both of you need counseling. I'd get out now before a pregnancy happens, then before you get yourself involved again later in life, seek counseling.
^^^^This^^^^

If you end up getting out of this relationship without getting counseling, you'll repeat the same patterns with someone else.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Screw the counseling. It seldom works and you need something in your life together to make it worth the effort by both parties. This is seldom the case and even less likely if there are no children. Just leave and take whatever share the courts will give you.
IF the OP doesn't get counseling, he's very likely to repeat the same old patterns over and over again in future relationships.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Maybe they fell in love and then fell out of love. Who needs "counseling" to figure the obvious out. LOL.

I don't think a counselor can resolve those world issues. Our society is filled with all sorts of people and a lot of times people change when in relationships for the worse and it's out of their hands. Sometimes it works out well and other times one or both of the partners become raving neurotic maniacs.
Nahhh. For the most part, I disagree. Emotionally healthy people are attracted to other emotionally healthy people. Unhealthy is attracted to unhealthy.

Now, since the OP is young, some of this can be chalked up to inexperience, but not most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships