Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,661,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
No problem. When we get married

I have to fly the will you marry me banner over Texas soon. Saving up money for the aeroplane guy. If I had completed my lessons, I'd be flying it myself.

Quote:
you can take care of them when they are small, and I'll take over when they are bigger.

No shifts. I don't mind another full time job. Overtime's fine too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,395,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
The littlest one, a min-pin, dragged the telephone book outside. The book was bigger and heavier than he is. I figured he was calling for take out.
Ha! Probably already knows your credit card number by memory too.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:01 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,395,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I have to fly the will you marry me banner over Texas soon. Saving up money for the aeroplane guy. If I had completed my lessons, I'd be flying it myself.
Aww , that would be sweet. But my main requirement is that on the day of the wedding, I get fireworks. If you want you can save for that and arrange fireworks all up in the sky that say "Just married!" Or my name and his.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,661,693 times
Quote:
Aww , that would be sweet. But my main requirement is that on the day of the wedding, I get fireworks. If you want you can save for that and arrange fireworks all up in the sky that say "Just married!" Or my name and his.
HIS?!?!?!?! LMAO

Old 09-12-2009, 06:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,407,823 times
I don't have pet-related dealbreakers.

I like dogs, am ambivalent about cats, was raised on a farm with plenty of both, but haven't owned either to date in my adult life, and could go either way as far as owning either in the future. So it's no dealbreaker to me if my partner either does or doesn't like or want those particular pets. My SO, as it turns out, is allergic to cats, and as I'm not exceptionally fond of them, it's not an issue. We both like dogs, but neither of us has the time to devote to one, currently. Pets are costly, an additional responsibility when we are working and going to school full-time, and one more thing to deal with when we do our routine visiting with our families, both of whom are out of state. So, again, a nonissue, as pets don't especially fit our lifestyle currently.

On the other hand, while, "I don't like dogs" isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, "I don't like kids" absolutely is.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM

830 posts, read 2,707,437 times
Quote:
What it immediately tells me about you is that you are self-righteous, overly quick to judge, and like to assume the worst about people.

to be a fixture in my company, you have to bring something to the table
Hey, you said it... I didn't just make up an assumption out of nowhere.

I think that to require an animal to bring something to the table in order to have value is a red flag. If someone I was dating suggested to me that since my cats contribute nothing to me but vet bills that I should get rid of them, he'd be out the door. It isn't an animal's job to titillate or entertain a human being, in my opinion. If it happens that I get entertained or receive some other emotional benefit from the animal in the course of natural behavior, that's fine. But I'm not going to select for it.

Judgemental? I suppose. But I guess there's a place to use your judgement about ethics and motivations, and for me the treatment of animals would be a top indicator. There are a lot of things I'll put up with but that isn't one of them.

As far as volunteering at shelters, that's wonderful. But I've been immersed in that culture too and can't say it relates all that much to how conditionally or unconditionally a person values animals' lives.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,516,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Hey, you said it... I didn't just make up an assumption out of nowhere.

I think that to require an animal to bring something to the table in order to have value is a red flag. If someone I was dating suggested to me that since my cats contribute nothing to me but vet bills that I should get rid of them, he'd be out the door. It isn't an animal's job to titillate or entertain a human being, in my opinion. If it happens that I get entertained or receive some other emotional benefit from the animal in the course of natural behavior, that's fine. But I'm not going to select for it.

Judgemental? I suppose. But I guess there's a place to use your judgement about ethics and motivations, and for me the treatment of animals would be a top indicator. There are a lot of things I'll put up with but that isn't one of them.

As far as volunteering at shelters, that's wonderful. But I've been immersed in that culture too and can't say it relates all that much to how conditionally or unconditionally a person values animals' lives.
I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to gain something from having an animal (or an SO). I think, for the most part, people want pets for companionship; to have someone to care for and someone who cares for them. That isn't necessarily selfish. To expect someone to bring something to the table doesn't have to mean "what have you done for me lately"? When it comes to life partners, animals or humans, we expect them to enhance our lives. Otherwise, whats the point?

Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,977,388 times
A simple of rule of the universe (& from the movie War of the Roses)

Cat people should marry cat people
Dog people should marry dog people

Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,911,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Is there something that you are attached to, that would be a deal breaker if the person you were dating told you they didn't like it?

I am a big animal lover. I don't require that the guy I'm dating love every animal out there, but if he didn't like dogs - I think that would be a deal breaker for me. I just don't understand how a person could not like them . I mean they're cute, loveable, cuddly, loyal - what more can a person want?!

Thoughts?
I agree. If they were not able to love something like a dog or puppy than you will have alot of trouble in the future.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,017,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Jasper is a lucky guy, but it sounds like he's earned your love and loyalty.
He has indeed. Ive had him since he was a pup, and I a teenager. We've been on adventures together, and gotten through some tough spots together.

Any dog of mine has a forever home. Ive promised Jasper that he'll always be safe. Nobody will ever abuse him, and he wont have to worry. He'll never be hungry...and that even if someday I cant be here at home with him, he'll always have a home.

Id like to believe he understands when I say it, 'cause I get kisses whenever I do.

Try to make me choose between a man and my animals...the animals win every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships