Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, there are pet lovers. Then there are neurotics who treat pets as substitute friends.

My wife's grandmother has always been like that. For as long as I've known her, she's has these stupid dogs that she dotes on. Our children will go visit her and she'll ignore them because she's always fussing with the dog. She would never go on family vacations because of the dogs. She wouldn't attend my MIL's mother's funeral because she couldn't figure out what to do with the dog. She stayed downstairs during Thanksgiving dinner because the dog had a hurt paw. So basically, she's saying that dogs are more important than her own flesh and blood. It hurts my wife's feelings.
A bit on the excessive side, fer sherrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
A bit on the excessive side, fer sherrr.
I bought a home this year and my dad won't come see it (jersey to boston) because he doesn't want to leave his cat. Come on.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, for a bunch of people who are all searching for lasting relationships, you are sure ginning up a lot of excuses to keep from actually having one.

So what if the guy isn't enamored with dogs? What if this is an incredibly attractive, attentive, considerate, successful guy who just has a virulent allergy to dogs? Would you really give him the boot just for that?
I dated a gal for a short while who was very attractive in every sense -- until she told me I'd have to get rid of my cat and dog before she could move in with me. She suddenly wasn't that attractive. So long babycakes.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I bought a home this year and my dad won't come see it (jersey to boston) because he doesn't want to leave his cat. Come on.
That's too bad, especially when you're not that far apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I dated a gal for a short while who was very attractive in every sense -- until she told me I'd have to get rid of my cat and dog before she could move in with me. She suddenly wasn't that attractive. So long babycakes.
Yeah, that would have been a pink slip moment.

This is one of those deals where people can't think beyond themselves. She may not like animals and she has a right to that. She should never expect anyone to give up their pets for her. If she's that grand of a deal that she feels she is entitled to that, she should have no problem finding someone to be petless with.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Thinking more on this....

"Must love dogs (or cats)" isn't really my line after all.

"Must show concern for their welfare" is.

No one has to love my pets. There are plenty of times when I wish I didn't have all of them. But asking me to get rid of them would show clear disregard for their welfare, and that is what I won't tolerate. Ask me to get rid of my sofa, that ugly picture on the wall, whatever. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Ask me to get rid of my animals to suit you, and you're going out with a footprint on your behind.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If anyone refers to their pets as "fur babies" run far, far away.
LOL, I do this! Shh...don't tell anyone.

To answer the OP's question: I don't see a relationship working out if a man didn't like dogs or, really, animals in general. Not impossible, of course, but not likely. I'm a huge animal lover and even my allergies --which can get pretty bad-- won't deter me from having a dog (which I do) or pretty much any other kind of pet I could care for (no other pets just yet, though).

Old 09-11-2009, 09:09 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helplessinfl View Post
My deal breaker has been CATS... I can't stand any animal who will wake you early in the morning... scratches on closed doors for attention... goes to the bathroom in the house ( litter boxes are GROSS !! ) and after they go to the litter box, they jump up on your counters, tables, couch... ICK ..... FREAKING GROSS !
And my love of dogs was a deal breaker with one man and I only have one very loveable dog.
sorry you hate cats, but at least you don't have to get out of bed and walk them in the rain.
to me thats the biggest downside to dogs, well that and their inability to go without you for more than 8 hours

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times
Is it just me or are a lot of women a little too much into their animals "Obsessively" ie they sleep in thier beds, they cannot leave them for more then 8 hours, refer to them as their "kids" etc.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Adults, children, pets, they're all just conglomeration of cells anyway.

Why is it "obsessive" that I'd share my bed with a dog if it wouldn't be odd to share it with another human (whose germs I'm much more likely to be infected with)?

The dog likes sleeping in my bed. She's a dog and I'm her pack. That's all. There's no reason she should sleep anywhere else.

I don't leave her for more than 8 hours or so because she'd pee on my floor. You'd pee on the floor too if you couldn't open the door to your bathroom.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
The dog likes sleeping in my bed. She's a dog and I'm her pack. That's all. There's no reason she should sleep anywhere else.
theres plenty of reasons and none of which you can tell me are non-factors -
fur, smell, fleas

and if you want her in your bed, you CAN NOT blame humans for not wanting to also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships