U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:22 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,932,398 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a situation where I am forced to be around someone who is very manipulative. And when I say manipulative, I am not just talking your average liar, I am talking Machiavelli manipulative! I try not to let my guard down around him, but even I, knowing what a snake he is, find myself becoming wrapped up in his words and leaving myself vulnerable.

So, what should I do? What would you do? I feel like I should start wearing garlic around my neck and splashing myself with Holy Water everytime I am around him! I don't think I've ever met someone so conniving! Its unnerving.

And leaving the situation, is not an option. Unfortunately, due to circumstances I have to be around him. I try to avoid him, but in some instances he is not avoidable. I would just like some advice from people with experience, or some good mental/conversational tactics so I can avoid being manipulated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,501,936 times
Hmm, does this pertain to anything of a romantic/sexual nature? Is he making you want to jump him lol?

I would advise to keep the facts in your head and put little to no credit into your feelings.

Remember, FACTS. You KNOW he's manipulative so be skeptical about everything he says and does.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,979,679 times
I've been around people like this and they use everything you say against you. Say as little as possible, answer with one word responses, so he has less ammunition to use against you or twist around to make you look bad. Also don't believe anything he says. If you never respond and won't engage in a conversation with him he'll move on to another target. Good luck, these people are really bad news.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,538,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post

And leaving the situation, is not an option. Unfortunately, due to circumstances I have to be around him. I try to avoid him, but in some instances he is not avoidable. I would just like some advice from people with experience, or some good mental/conversational tactics so I can avoid being manipulated.

Thanks
You must be in a bind, if you cannot leave this situation.
Avoidance, would be my first clue. You didn`t mention if he is a friend, BF, or what? That would be another story.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:35 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I am currently in a situation where I am forced to be around someone who is very manipulative. And when I say manipulative, I am not just talking your average liar, I am talking Machiavelli manipulative! I try not to let my guard down around him, but even I, knowing what a snake he is, find myself becoming wrapped up in his words and leaving myself vulnerable.

So, what should I do? What would you do? I feel like I should start wearing garlic around my neck and splashing myself with Holy Water everytime I am around him! I don't think I've ever met someone so conniving! Its unnerving.

Thanks
These kinds of people can be so difficult to be around, I feel for ya!

I'd do this - picture him with a big sign draped around hid neck saying "LIAR" - because that's what manipulators are, they basically lie to you with just enough of the truth to make you doubt yourself to get what THEY want.

So, get a visual and keep it in your head - remind yourself constantly that he can't be trusted -even to the point of having a mantra of some kind you repeat over and over in your head.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
I recommend increasing your vocabulary and talk in a way where he would have to look up the words and actually renders him speechless. I recomend the book "Word Lovers Dictionary."

Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,472,581 times
"Machiavelli manipulative" is a good thing

Old 09-12-2009, 04:58 PM

42,628 posts, read 44,075,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I recommend increasing your vocabulary and talk in a way where he would have to look up the words and actually renders him speechless. I recomend the book "Word Lovers Dictionary."
Or just turn the tables on him....if he has an idea to of something to do...and you don't, reword it so he thinks he got his way...but in realality YOU won. Your way.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,795,930 times
Always wear your poker face, liars and manipulators think there so
good at there game and everyones stupid, its an illness, whats worse,
their convinced their lies are truth. You could let it go in one ear and out the other.
Why can't you be honest and say, I don't have time to hear this. What do you have to lose.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:05 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
If it's a situation where you are being 'asked' to do something just say, "That's a great idea, YOU should do that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or