U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM

9,372 posts, read 10,152,716 times

Advertisements

I was once told about an oilman who wouldn't do business with another oilman until he saw him climb an oil derrick. Although that may not be a subtle clue, I began to wonder what I used to judge people by at first sight.
Things Like;
1. a person with an older car but new tires-frugality?
2. A man wearing a nice suit with calloused hands- might be a business owner?
3. forty year old well dressed man with a ponytail-- self employed
4. People with nice teeth- grew up either middle class or on welfare with a medical card.

Obviously none of the things I use are 100% accurate and at some times might be misleading, When I managed a small store I always had to make judgment calls about shop lifters, it was hit and miss.

I am curious, What do you use to use to make quick judgements of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,619,666 times
I walk around with rolled up socks in my pants

Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I was once told about an oilman who wouldn't do business with another oilman until he saw him climb an oil derrick. Although that may not be a subtle clue, I began to wonder what I used to judge people by at first sight.
Things Like;
1. a person with an older car but new tires-frugality?
2. A man wearing a nice suit with calloused hands- might be a business owner?
3. forty year old well dressed man with a ponytail-- self employed
4. People with nice teeth- grew up either middle class or on welfare with a medical card.

Obviously none of the things I use are 100% accurate and at some times might be misleading, When I managed a small store I always had to make judgment calls about shop lifters, it was hit and miss.

I am curious, What do you use to use to make quick judgements of other people.

Judging a book by it's cover will almost never give you a good read

Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,249,479 times
I look at people's skin. You can tell how a person eats, sleeps and lives by the condition of that. Also the way a person moves/walks. That tells a lot about who they really are inside.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,249,479 times
Hee hee...my favorite:

YouTube - Kramer figures out George's secret code

Old 09-14-2009, 02:04 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,263,280 times
I stare at teeth. It's a bad habit, but you can REALLY tell how a person is by their teeth. Yellow, tartary, crooked, stained--it's all a bit of a turn-off for me. I realize there isn't much someone can do to fix crooked or missing teeth unless they have good insurance or lots of money, so I won't write someone off for having unsightly teeth when it comes to those two issues.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I look at people's skin. You can tell how a person eats, sleeps and lives by the condition of that. Also the way a person moves/walks. That tells a lot about who they really are inside.
Thats a good one, I heard some dr. say "the eyes are the window into the colon"

Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,934,512 times
I look at a person's interests, and their belief systems. What shows do they watch? Movies? Are they republican, democrat, independent?

Its funny but almost everytime I meet someone who likes the same movies and books as me, our personalities are very similar. Very weird how that happens. I think certain personalities gravitate towards certain forms of entertainment.

I just talked to someone the other day, we were talking about a certain movie, and it was like we were completing each others sentences. It was a strange connection.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Judging a book by it's cover will almost never give you a good read
I don't go totally by looks alone for instance if some one won't ever look you in eye , I try figure out why?
I'm sure women have certain things they have to notice about a would be attacker to make a quick judgment to protect them selves.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,934,512 times
Some examples of subtle clues (superficial and not so superficial):

Hybrid car: Earth conscious
SUV: Not so earth conscious
Bumper stickers all over car: I don't give a crap what people think about me.
Long hair with a beard: A bit of a nonconformist
A man who tans with very white teeth: vain
Flashy material things: materialistic
Apple computer: A bit of a tech guy/gal
Into scifi and fantasy: deep thinker, escapist
Into movies where things get blown up every 5 seconds: thrill seeker
Watches independent and foreign films: intelectual
Likes animals: compassionate
Likes to see animals shot and killed: not compassionate
Gives money to homeless people: understanding
Likes to drink or eat excessively: trying to avoid problems/issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or