Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM

323 posts, read 805,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Women, when a man has you over his place and prepares you a nice homemade meal, and the presentation is great as well as the taste, how much of a turn-on is it? Does it heighten the chances you'll sleep with him afterwards? This assuming you're already dating or that you're on the threshold of becoming a couple.

If so - what exactly is it that is so enticing or charming or whatever about a man who knows his way around the kitchen and can present you with a yummy and well-presented meal?

And, also - if the alcohol accompanying the dinner is wine, does it matter how he serves you... does a decanter, or does he serving it after briefly explaining the name and type of wine, etc, as a waiter/sommelier would, mean anything?
It is a HUGE turn on and heightens the chances that I'll sleep with him afterwards exponentially lol!!! I don't know what it is really that is so amazing about a man who can cook and such. I think for me it's the effort that goes into it---tidying the house, preparing and serving all the food, etc. It takes soooo much more thought and effort to invite me over and make me dinner than it does to whip out your visa or cash and buy me an expensive dinner, and I guess that is something that impresses me. As far as the wine goes, I'd rather not have someone I'm dating serving it to me like they are my server. Perhaps it'd be better to bring it up in the dinner conversation or something, rather than present it like a speech (b/c if it were me, I don't know much about wine, and while I'd think it was sweet of you, it'd probably make me kind of self-conscious that I don't know much about it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:36 PM

20,629 posts, read 19,289,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Women, when a man has you over his place and prepares you a nice homemade meal, and the presentation is great as well as the taste, how much of a turn-on is it? Does it heighten the chances you'll sleep with him afterwards? This assuming you're already dating or that you're on the threshold of becoming a couple.

If so - what exactly is it that is so enticing or charming or whatever about a man who knows his way around the kitchen and can present you with a yummy and well-presented meal?

And, also - if the alcohol accompanying the dinner is wine, does it matter how he serves you... does a decanter, or does he serving it after briefly explaining the name and type of wine, etc, as a waiter/sommelier would, mean anything?
Hi Sprawling_Homeowner,

Don't lay it on too thick. If a woman takes an interest in wine, then I would gladly explain it. I had lots of women over at my apartment because I knew how to cook. Its an easy in.
I like wine. Why? Because its never the same. Its the grapes, the weather, the place, and how its made; its an agricultural product. Beer drinkers usually drink the same beer over and over again. That is an indication that they would bore me easily. There is a beer sub culture that likes different beers as well, and I belong to it. Its getting to be the season for an oatmeal stout. I have not been drunk in 20 years. Its food.
I do find the haughty metro sexual sub culture of wine irritating. Of course you match wine, but its not rocket science. Ketchup goes on a burger too. I like warm climate Cabernet Sauvignon to go with fish because they are very citrus like lemons, for example. A pinot gris will taste like water with a barbecue. Try a beer or a red Zin.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
I think it's great and I WILL show my appreciation.

It makes me feel loved and special to know that my man took the time to plan, prepare and serve a meal. Even better if there's candlelight and wine but chili dogs and a beer are OK too. Even MORE better if he is also wearing something sexy and took the time to lay out some lingerie and heels for me. Sometimes, he puts a little love note on top too.

It's romantic. It's taking the time to honor the person you love.

And in my experience you always get back MORE than you give.

I do things like this for him too. Every chance I get. I look for opportunities to do romantic things for/with him.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
Men who drink wine are called gay.
Mayors who think like that should be recalled.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,771,728 times
Hell yeah, I'd love that! I once dated a Parisian man and he cooked this amazing fish dish that I have not been able to recreate. He had a highly developed sense of aesthetics and I ate him up like CANDY! I have another ex that could make barbecue ribs that fell off the bone! Oh lawd that was good! I nearly married that man!

Go for it, man! Oh, and as for the wine it's fun for some people to hear about it. I like that kind of thing but not everyone has an inner wine geek. So, go easy.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not impressed by a man cooking or serving wine.
If all it was was cooking and serving wine, I'd be unimpressed, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
These are things all grown-ups are supposed to know how to do.
You don't need me to tell you that knowing and doing aren't always the same thing, do you?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Aw, come on, what has happened to romance.
You didn't get the memo? It was ruled politically incorrect a sadly long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No wonder people dont want to date anymore.
See what I mean? Who says romance has to die because a marriage licence was signed, sealed, and delivered? The trouble with our world is, we let the world get in the way, all the way . . . if we could find a way to keep our buttinski relatives, buttinski friends, and buttinski kids out the door when it matters the most (and anyone who says you can't or shouldn't is begging to end up in divorce court), we should damn well find a way to tell the world when it's time for the world to back off and keep it there.

And when we do, we make sure our partner isn't going anywhere without being romanced to within an inch of his or her life---because the whole reason we're putting up with the world in the first place is to make life with that partner . . . and there was a reason why we wanted to make life (and love!) with (and to!) that partner.

And don't tell me you can't afford to do it, either. I learned the hard way---you can't afford not to do it. If your partner isn't the single most awe-inspiring, love-inspiring, passion-stirring presence on this planet, and you don't want to make him or her feel like the most awe-inspiring, love-inspiring, passion-stirring presence on this planet every minute you have alone together, then the world wins . . . and you lose.

Bloody right I'll kill all the lights in the kitchen in exchange for at least three or four candles . . . bloody right I'll whip out the knives, spoons, Mixmaster (OK, bogart the Mixmaster---I lost mine in my divorce, though I'm holding out to get another frame-up restored vintage [pre-1967] model), and get to work. Bloody right I'll do one of two things with my partner---a) Sit her down, tell her not to move even her pinkie, and let me whip her up even a simple dinner or breakfast or lunch and let her feel like the princess she is; or, b) draw her in and let's whip it up together. Ladies and gentlemen, you'd be absolutely amazed to discover that your kitchen can be the most romantic and sensuous room in the whole house.

I still am.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think it's great and I WILL show my appreciation.

It makes me feel loved and special to know that my man took the time to plan, prepare and serve a meal. Even better if there's candlelight and wine but chili dogs and a beer are OK too. Even MORE better if he is also wearing something sexy and took the time to lay out some lingerie and heels for me. Sometimes, he puts a little love note on top too.

It's romantic. It's taking the time to honor the person you love.

And in my experience you always get back MORE than you give.

I do things like this for him too. Every chance I get. I look for opportunities to do romantic things for/with him.
I rest my case!

(Fair disclosure: I am the man who has the honour of being loved and romanced by this lady. And I still leave her little love notes on top!)

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM

4,482 posts, read 5,319,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
Hell yeah, I'd love that! I once dated a Parisian man and he cooked this amazing fish dish that I have not been able to recreate. He had a highly developed sense of aesthetics and I ate him up like CANDY! I have another ex that could make barbecue ribs that fell off the bone! Oh lawd that was good! I nearly married that man!

Go for it, man! Oh, and as for the wine it's fun for some people to hear about it. I like that kind of thing but not everyone has an inner wine geek. So, go easy.
haha. ate him up like candy.

repped.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,622,012 times
I think it would be great!
I came home from work one day, and my son was dressed up in his little suit and tie, greeting me at the door. DH was in the kitchen cooking our meal, and they had me a place to sit that was all set up resturant style. They even named their resturant!
I thought it was the sweetest thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships