U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:13 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,257,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaase0217 View Post
Firstly, this is called "coerced reproduction" and happens more often than you might think and in many forms. Sabotaging the birth control is just one way to do this. Other ways include emotion coercion to not use a condom, etc.

Amnesty International's Rome Statute includes crimes against women being forced into reproduction as a crime against humanity.

Simply because an individual's brain is too simple to comprehend HOW this might be accomplished does not mean that it cannot be accomplished.

It happens every day.

If my ex-husband had done that to me, I'd have just gotten an abortion, end of story--and marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,897,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaase0217 View Post
Firstly, this is called "coerced reproduction" and happens more often than you might think and in many forms. Sabotaging the birth control is just one way to do this. Other ways include emotion coercion to not use a condom, etc.

Amnesty International's Rome Statute includes crimes against women being forced into reproduction as a crime against humanity.

Simply because an individual's brain is too simple to comprehend HOW this might be accomplished does not mean that it cannot be accomplished.

It happens every day.

THis post is a year old you know.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,897,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If my ex-husband had done that to me, I'd have just gotten an abortion, end of story--and marriage.

Me as well.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:13 PM

25,584 posts, read 31,700,505 times
Thank God I am fixed... There is no sabatage with me.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:33 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,916 times
That would be a big mistake if he did that. I think he should just comply with his wife's wishes and not have kids. Same thing for vice versa.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:17 AM

7,981 posts, read 3,431,885 times
These things should have been discussed before marriage. My friend and his wife didn’t want kids and they agreed on it before marriage. She got off the pill and switched to a diaphragm and she got pregnant. Neither was happy about the pregnancy. The friends and relatives were happy. She had the baby and the wife didn’t want to take care of the baby too much. She made the husband get up for the changing and feedings. She never spent much time with the child. The father who didn’t really want kids became the go to parent. The wife was on the lazy side. Needless to say they got divorced and the father had custody of the child most of the time. The child had a good childhood as far as I could see. The point is, unless you both are on the same page it becomes a burden for one parent. She most likely would resent the child. Is it worth it? Don’t we have enough unwanted kids out there already?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM

9,159 posts, read 16,562,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
These things should have been discussed before marriage.
Until you bumped this thread, they were last discussed before 2011.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:34 AM

6,373 posts, read 2,285,056 times
I have a feeling that maybe the original caller, or the radio station even, wasn't being real. Like maybe the whole situation was invented somehow, for attention or ratings.

1. Obviously, a husband who is willing to sabotage his wife's body is NOT a loving and supportive husband. So, straight up, we can surmise he's a liar, and maybe worse. I find the idea of sabotaging the birth control to be too vague, and thus suspicious. Wife would notice if a pill was missing. Now granted, poking a hole in a condom would possibly do the trick, or poking a hole in her diaphragm would work...but the husband doesn't sound like a guy who would be willing to even use a condom...so I think we can rule that one out. Otherwise, the other methods of BC are either on or in the woman's body...

OR

2. The radio station or the radio host set this up to garner ratings and controversy/attention.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,199,518 times
Oi, another old thread, but at least it's not a first-time (or one shot wonder) poster, who rezzed it.

I actually wonder sometimes if my ex sabotaged our BC. I found out after the divorce, what he never told me when we got together. See, going in, I told him flat out that I didn't want kids and didn't especially want to be a wife, either. I wanted to do things with my life other than raising a family. However, when I got unexpectedly pregnant, I got in deep with the hormonal baby-love, and I think I was a pretty good Mom, at least until the divorce drama happened, then things got much harder of course...beside the point though. I played the hand I was dealt. I thought it was an accident, the first pregnancy. The second was on purpose, because I didn't think I wanted an only child, I figured if we were raising one, we may as well have two. Seemed the "right" number of kids. And we were only using condoms that first time, and I don't feel they are truly reliable on their own, so I figured that was why protection failed. Even though the condom did appear to be intact afterwards, nothing seemed amiss. *shrug*

Well I found out after our divorce, he admitted that he always wanted kids to raise, that his last wife had miscarried like 18 times or something, and it was one of the reasons their marriage didn't work, that he wanted a family and she wanted to give him one, but apparently couldn't. Wow. Seriously wow. If I'd known that going in, it might have affected my choice to be with him. But he didn't let on, in the early days, about many things he'd reveal to me later about himself.

Looking back at things, it would not shock me in the slightest to find out that he sabotaged that condom, poked holes in it or something. He's admitted to lying and hiding a number of other things over the years, even as he still insists he's the ultimate embodiment of "honor, loyalty, and integrity." Pssh...whatever.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 AM

2,845 posts, read 1,802,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Thank God I am fixed... There is no sabatage with me.
Same here, got fixed in my twenties so never any surprise for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or