U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,316,180 times

Advertisements

thats exactly what i was thinking!!!

i think that its a beautiful gesture.
many cultures dont grieve their dead, they celebrate their life.

if they want to link theer anniversary to thier sons death so be it. its part of the processing of death for them.

i dont see anything wrong with it.
but then again my cultures view of death and life are different from others.

we party with our dead. even on theer death-averseries
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Maybe they are part of a religion that looks at death as a homegoing.

Maybe they thought this would make their son smile and they wanted to make a day that would probably be sad forever, a happy occassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,316,180 times
i really wish i could rep ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think it's weird; it depends on how it was handled.

When my grandmother died, my aunt married her boyfriend that she'd been living with for 8 years and had 2 kids from (something my grandmother had been asking her to do for years). It wasn't at the funeral but at church the next day because we still had a lot of family there - it was kinda a bitterweet moment because they didn't do it while my grandmother was alive to see it but at the same time we all know she would have been estatic about it and we all were kinda smiling imagining how excited she would have been. My aunt said she felt like my grandmother was smiling down on them from Heaven.

People handle grief differently. You shouldn't call people ridiculous because you don't agree with something they're doing, especially if it doesn't affect you.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 PM

260 posts, read 828,011 times
I really feel aweful for this family. One of my husband's friend had an adopted daughter battling cancer since she was about 11 yrs. old. Him and her mom had been living together for about 10 yrs. and never considered marrying. By the time the little girl was 15 yrs. old, it was obvious that she was not beating the brain cancer, so they went ahead and got married in a nice small family attended ceremony, although they really didn't love each other any more and had been having issues. Shortly after they got married, the little girl died, but at least they made that sacrifice for her and she was soooo happy to see her parents get married. After 13 yrs. of being together, the mom went completely nuts after her daughter died and became a party animal, which created more problems with her husband, and they are now in the process of getting divorced. It's been a sad couple years for this family, and they have a 13 yr. old son that is going through all of this.
I feel sooo bad for all involved and my heart truly goes out to the family that lost their beloved 7 yr. old. I understand why they got married that day.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM

12,248 posts, read 13,470,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The parents of a 7-year-old boy who died after an upstate New York car crash have fulfilled his wish that they get married, and they did it at the child's funeral.

Amilcar Hill and Rahwa Ghirmatizion got married during Monday's funeral service in Buffalo for their son, Asa Hill. Asa died a day after his grandfather's car was involved a chain-reaction highway crash last week.

Couple get married at child's funeral - Wonderful World- msnbc.com

How appropriate since marriage is like death to some of us.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,832,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BUFFALO, N.Y. - The parents of a 7-year-old boy who died after an upstate New York car crash have fulfilled his wish that they get married, and they did it at the child's funeral.

Amilcar Hill and Rahwa Ghirmatizion got married during Monday's funeral service in Buffalo for their son, Asa Hill. Asa died a day after his grandfather's car was involved a chain-reaction highway crash last week.

Couple get married at child's funeral - Wonderful World- msnbc.com

sounds like making lemonade outta lemons. i can't knock "love".

looking at it disapprovingly is making lemons outta lemonade.

kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: edit after seeing linked article
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or