U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 PM

6,011 posts, read 13,077,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Motivation.

Nothing! That is the problem.

It is the big empty, the big I-don't-care, the feeling that setting and attaining goals over and over until you die is no different than just going ahead and dying.
I don't know if you were joking or not. Yours was a funny post. But seriously, if you were serious, maybe get a dog? Volunteer for a good cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 PM

7,005 posts, read 18,565,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
You just need a cat.

Hellooooooo nurse!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Cats are too aloof. The one that lives here only wants to be scratched on his terms...when HE wants to be scratched--and even then, he's not sure about it.

"I want attention--but don't touch me!"

So?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
I can relate to that. I also needed an older male, you know, that kind of guy you can get advice from, who will help you no matter what happens...I don't care how gay this might sound.
You guys that are feeling a want or need for male - or even female - "parents" or someone in your life to fill that vacant parent role should think about volunteering at a retirement home or with a recreation center that offers fun activities for older people. I have done this in the past and met lots of amazing people. I used to be scared of old people, but through volunteering I realized what all we can learn from them. They have so much to teach us if we will just put forth the effort to pause and listen. Anyway, just a thought.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I don't think anyone can ever say: "my life is perfect!!!" If anyone here thinks that their life is absolutely perfect, sign in HERE

.................................................. .................................

and then tell us the secret.

I think a lot of us can say that they are satisfied with their lives, but very few feel overwhelming feeling of happieness and joy. That's because those type of moments are very short and temporary. You feel like that usually when you go through some spiritual awakening, or falling in love or winning a huge lottery or giving birth to a child...The overwhelming feeling of happiness is momentary in this life. Mostly it's satisfaction or unsatisfaction.
I think I mostly agree with you, nothing is ever perfect, but a few years ago my entire family - me, my husband, and our two kids - survived a near-death (drowning in a freezing river) experience and ever since that day we have all woken up every day simply thrilled to be together and all alive. Before that experience, I think we all had a tendency to get down in the dumps over really small stuff... we had more "wants" and when those wants weren't fulfilled within our expectations we got depressed about it... (So stupid.) But, since that experience - and recently we also survived a fire, too, in which we had to evacuate and leave everything behind, which reinforced our feelings about life - we really feel blessed (and I don't use that word very often) and really do feel that overwhelming feeling of happiness every day that we have together. We are filled with joy and people often comment about it to us. We just had to learn the hard way how fast your life can be ripped away from you to realize how lucky we are to simply be alive. (This is about the time, too, that my husband and I made a decisions to stop taking negative, toxic, s h i t from people - even if the people were blood-relatives. It's not worth it - life is too short!)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,483,732 times
A Ferrari parked in my driveway

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM

12,977 posts, read 29,539,286 times
Whats missing in my life?

1. Grandparents who lived closer who can babysit when I/we need them to.
2. More time in the day to train more in my martial arts.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,095,282 times
I miss my dad. He would have been 66 this year. (He died when he was 52.) And I miss my mom. She would have been 62 this year. (She died when she was 59.) Other than that though, I can't complain. I have a very good life. Hopefully, knock on wood, I got the pain and loss part out of the way young.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,701,561 times
I'm missing a career. Without a job, I have no money of my own, no spare money to buy ANYTHING, no stability in our family.

I also would like a purpose, not just going through the day 'doing chores' mindlessly. I have a husband, son and dog I love but I have to be more than wife and mommy and dog walking mommy.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 AM

247 posts, read 335,354 times
I've been married 30 years tomorrow. I've been career Military all of my life. Just a short time before my scheduled retirement (while stationed in Iraq) the jeep I was in hit a land mine. I lost both legs from just above the knees. I was the only survivor out of 5 in the jeep.

They sent me home 3 months ago. I've been without legs for a little more than a year now due to recovery time, and some reconstructive surgeries. My Docs called me this morning and told me my new legs are there today. I will celebrate this by taking my wife out to dinner and maybe a little slow dancing for our 30th anniv. tomorrow.

I am blessed to have a loving wife. I am blessed to have 8 children. One of my daughters was kidnapped, beaten, raped and murdered when she was 9 years old. She would be 17 now if she were still alive. She's really the ONLY thing I feel I am missing.

My wife and I have adopted 3 special needs kids one blind, one deaf, and one with down syndrome. Our adopted kids are from Mexico, Taiwan, and Africa. I feel blessed to be given the chance to be a Father to every one of these children.

I have a good life. I am grateful that the Lord has blessed me with so much, and has given me so many wonderful and caring friends, and such a beautiful and loving family.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM

4,941 posts, read 7,279,456 times
I miss my brother. He was killed tagically in Dec. 2006, he was only 31. I have no other siblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships