Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times

Advertisements

I have had dogs all my life and have treated them like family. Even when my kids were newborn I had dogs.
If one of them had ever attacked one of my kids the dog would have been put down. Probably by me with a gun.
I'm not talking about a little nip if a small kid is teasing the dog or maybe falls on it or causes pain in some innocent way. If the kid would have been old enough for me to make them understand they hurt the dog and it reacted to protect itself I would train the kid to not hurt the dog.
As much as I have cared about my pets over the years, if one of them would have ever made an unprovoked attack on any of my kids, I would have destroyed it.
Plain and simple.
No one or nothing hurts my kids unprovoked.
I have a sweetheart lab/mix and small grandkids. The dog loves the grandkids and vice versa.
But if the dog ever went after one of my grandkids, as much as I love this dog, I would put her down. And that would be hard to do because this is one of the best dogs I have ever had in my life. But it would be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
this is a true story which i thought was really bizarre. I am curious what your response is to the family's decision to keep the dog:

when my kids were small, we spent time with another mom and her two small children, our husbands worked together. They had a dog. The lady made a comment one day at her house about not leaving the kids unattended with the dog, who was behind a gate. She then went on to explain why...

They had the dog for many years before they had kids. Then their first child was born. When the baby was an infant, the dog attacked the little girl and ripped off much of her face. She nearly died. The little girl (when I met the family) was 5 years old and had already had 7 operations for plastic surgery, and was expected to have at least 3 more plastic surgery operations.

The family made the decision to keep the dog. I asked her "how could you keep the dog after your kid nearly died?" and "Aren't you afraid the dog could attack the kids again?" They had another baby, another little girl 2 years later. The mom said people ask them that often but she said the dog was a member of their family before the kids were born, and they could not get rid of a member of their family.

the whole thing gave me the creeps. we later had a falling out and I was relieved to see the association end.

what is your response to someone like the lady I met?
how would you have handled this if it was your dog?
My mom had a devoted dog named Gidget. While she was pregnant with me, that dog was at her side, growled at people coming near her, and slept at her feet for 9 months. When I came along, the dog became protective of me while in mom's presence.

While mom stepped away, I was a toddler at the time, the dog attacked me and tried dragging me off the second floor balcony. My mother put the dog down that day. Her beloved Gidget, that she had had for so many years, it broke my heart when she told me she put her down.

My mom explained it like this, "even though they are house trained pets, and part of the family, they are still animals, and you can never fully trust an animal. You always have to be on your guard at least a little for strange behaviors. My kids come first."

I have to say it was a powerful lesson learned, but if a dog tore up a child's face, my child's face, he's getting adopted out or put down. End of story.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Quote:
this is a true story...They had the dog for many years before they had kids. Then their first child was born. When the baby was an infant, the dog attacked the little girl and ripped off much of her face. She nearly died. The little girl (when I met the family) was 5 years old and had already had 7 operations for plastic surgery, and was expected to have at least 3 more plastic surgery operations.

The family made the decision to keep the dog. I asked her "how could you keep the dog after your kid nearly died?" and "Aren't you afraid the dog could attack the kids again?" They had another baby, another little girl 2 years later. The mom said people ask them that often but she said the dog was a member of their family before the kids were born, and they could not get rid of a member of their family.

the whole thing gave me the creeps. we later had a falling out and I was relieved to see the association end.

I thought dogs like that were supposed to be destroyed. I guess animal control didn't know about it. Good for them, sort of, that I wasn't their neighbor...

You could have reported them to protective child services, I'd bet, now that I think of it.... O well.

Kate

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
this is a true story which i thought was really bizarre. I am curious what your response is to the family's decision to keep the dog:

when my kids were small, we spent time with another mom and her two small children, our husbands worked together. They had a dog. The lady made a comment one day at her house about not leaving the kids unattended with the dog, who was behind a gate. She then went on to explain why...

They had the dog for many years before they had kids. Then their first child was born. When the baby was an infant, the dog attacked the little girl and ripped off much of her face. She nearly died. The little girl (when I met the family) was 5 years old and had already had 7 operations for plastic surgery, and was expected to have at least 3 more plastic surgery operations.

Absolute disgust. In no way, shape, or form does a dog come anywhere close to the importance of a child. What's more, as every vet I've ever met said, once a dog gets used to biting people it will never stop.

Dogs are not people. They are not family members. They are animals, albeit mostly friendly ones. People who cannot understand this and actually imperil small children by not understanding this have nothing but my contempt.

The dog should have been destroyed. Period. End of story.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 PM

240 posts, read 437,260 times
Default Bad dog ,bad parents

[quote=Tzaphkiel;10782540]this is a true story which i thought was really bizarre. I am curious what your response is to the family's decision to keep the dog:

how would you have handled this if it was your dog?[/quote

well if this was me I would have put the beast to rest.As for the parents sound like they have a mental issue,no way in h*ll I would have kept the dog alive.
When I was 5yrs.old I was walking from my house to next door to play with a friend,my other next door neighbor was outside with his dog andas I was walking his dog broke loose from him and ran and bit me in the back I did not know the dog was coming until I felt him knock me down,the owner never yelled to warn me or nothing,well my daddy made the neighbor take me to the hospital my sister rode alone with me and my daddy showed up about 10 minutes afterward,I asked him
where was he at,he had stayed behind and killed my neighbors dog for biting me,did my neighbors get mad of course but they were not about to go up against my daddy 6'5 335

Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
If it was my dog, I would have marinated it in some lemon sauce and had the friggen thing for dinner. I hear they taste like chicken, but then again, what strange meat doesn't?
I've heard it tastes good. It's a very famous Korean delicacy. I once attended a Korean buffet during a business trip and there were several dishes of dog meat. It did smell nice, but I didn't try

But forget dinner, if a dog did that to my child, I'd behead the freaking dog with my own hands

Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
that would be 1 dead dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships