U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM

16 posts, read 14,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
More likely than not. A lobotomy pacifies aggressive behavior, the majority does not get zapped into a vegetative zombie state. It will change ones personality. . . not erase their memory and wipe out their hormones out of existence.
My understanding of a lobotomy was simply that it had been conceived by early 19th century neurosurgeons as a way to cure people from dementia, psychosis, and types of depression.

There had never been any proof such a procedure works and often left it's patients (victims) in a vegetative state. I believe it was considered one of the most barbaric procedures in medical history.

I'm not guessing many of you would **** someone on life support so I doubt the question of sex after a lobotomy is that relevant.

So that is why we no longer use it...and you ladies can use prozac as a substitute nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM

24,671 posts, read 57,967,046 times
Quote:
I just had these scary, quick pics in my brainer when you said Fruit Loops and dating sites, I had a terrible image of him sitting around in a dim room in baggy discolored tidy-whites. Make the image go away before I do my own home lobotomy with an ice pic.
Can't help you out there, girl. He says what he says and all I do is sometimes come up with what he says with no embellishments at all. When he was going on about the start of football season he also added in wings, pizza and his hair hanging out. Sorry!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOJoe View Post
My understanding of a lobotomy was simply that it had been conceived by early 19th century neurosurgeons as a way to cure people from dementia, psychosis, and types of depression.

There had never been any proof such a procedure works and often left it's patients (victims) in a vegetative state. I believe it was considered one of the most barbaric procedures in medical history.

I'm not guessing many of you would **** someone on life support so I doubt the question of sex after a lobotomy is that relevant.

So that is why we no longer use it...and you ladies can use prozac as a substitute nowadays.
Not far off the mark.

"The idea of brain surgery as a means of improving mental health got started around 1890, when Friederich Golz, a German researcher, removed portions of his dogs’ temporal lobes, and found them to be calmer, less aggressive. It was swiftly followed by Gottlieb Burkhardt, the head of a Swiss mental institution, who attempted similar surgeries on six of his schizophrenic patients. Some were indeed calmer. Two died.

One would think that that would be the end of the idea. But in 1935, Carlyle Jacobsen of Yale University tried frontal and prefrontal lobotomies on chimps, and found them to be calmer afterwards. His colleague at Yale, John Fulton, attempted to induce “experimental neurosis” in his lobotomized chimps by presenting them with contradictory signals. He found that they were pretty much immune to the process.

It took a certain Antonio Egaz Moniz of the University of Lisbon Medical School to really put lobotomy on the map. A very productive medical researcher, he invented several significant improvements to brain x-ray techniques prior to his work with lobotomy. He also served as the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Ambassador to Spain. He was even one of the signers of the Treaty of Versailles, which marked the end of World War I.

He found that cutting the nerves that run from the frontal cortex to the thalamus in psychotic patients who suffered from repetitive thoughts “short-circuited” the problem. Together with his colleague Almeida Lima, he devised a technique involving drilling two small holes on either side of the forehead, inserting a special surgical knife, and severing the prefrontal cortex from the rest of the brain. He called it leukotomy, but it would come to be known as lobotomy.

Some of his patients became calmer, some did not. Moniz advised extreme caution in using lobotomy, and felt it should only be used in cases where everything else had been tried. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for his work on lobotomy in 1949. He retired early after a former patient paralyzed him by shooting him in the back.

Walter Freeman, an American physician, with his colleague James Watts, performed his first lobotomy operation in 1936. He was so satisfied with the results that he went on to do many thousands more, and in fact began a propaganda campaign to promote its use. He is also famous for inventing what is called ice pick lobotomy. Impatient with the difficult surgical methods pioneered by Moniz, he found he could insert an ice pick above each eye of a patient with only local anesthetic, drive it through the thin bone with a light tap of a mallet, swish the pick back and forth like a windshield wiper and -- voilà -- a formerly difficult patient is now passive.

Freeman recommended the procedure for everything from psychosis to depression to neurosis to criminality. He developed what others called assembly line lobotomies, going from one patient to the next with his gold-plated ice pick, even having his assistants time him to see if he could break lobotomy speed records. It is said that even some seasoned surgeons fainted at the site. Even Watts thought he had gone too far.

Between 1939 and 1951, over 18,000 lobotomies were performed in the US, and many more in other countries. It was often used on convicts, and in Japan it was recommended for use on “difficult” children. There are still western countries that permit the use of the lobotomy, although its use has decreased dramatically worldwide. Curiously, the old USSR banned it back in 1950 on moral grounds!

In the 1950s, people began getting upset about the prevalence of lobotomies. Protests began, and serious research supported the protesters. The general statistics showed roughly a third of lobotomy patients improved, a third stayed the same, and the last third actually got worse!

There have been a few famous cases over the years. For example, Rosemary Kennedy, sister to John, Robert, and Edward Kennedy, was given a lobotomy when her father complained to doctors about the mildly retarded girl’s embarrassing new interest in boys. Her father never informed the rest of the family about what he had done. She lived out her life in a Wisconsin institution and died January 7, 2005, at the age of 86. Her sister, Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founded the Special Olympics in her honor in 1968.
"

Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 PM

7,269 posts, read 9,386,903 times
@ West: Not exactly, studied briefly on lobotomies back in college. . you will find that they performed them for a broad spectrum of psychological issues, one of the main ones was aggression. Maybe about half, if that, were perceived by some that were observing to be in a lethargic state, but not a comatose state. France was still doing random procedures not too many years ago. As the years pass, as we grow further away from the "lobotomy era" does it become more misunderstood, especially by the social and comical jest of the procedure.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Can't help you out there, girl. He says what he says and all I do is sometimes come up with what he says with no embellishments at all. When he was going on about the start of football season he also added in wings, pizza and his hair hanging out. Sorry!
I hope to gawd you mean the hair on his head.

You are really terrorizing me this evening, lol.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,227,451 times
I like the way the questions are getting more and more creative.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Sunil's, I figure there has to be a reason for this question. . .are you contemplating to possibly have sex with a post-lobotomy patient?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I hope to gawd you mean the hair on his head.

You are really terrorizing me this evening, lol.
About the hair, I think he just said hair so I don't know .... We do know that he has a receding hairline and that he sports a short haircut but he also recently grew a beard in the hopes that this would enhance his image with the fairer sex but whether he still has that or not is purely speculative. Obviously growing the little beard didn't do much in the relationship arena and he hasn't mentioned it since so maybe that's all gone. In which case - yes, WHAT hair? Dream on, girl, and may your visions be calmed somewhat with thoughts of Nair, etc.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Sunil's, I figure there has to be a reason for this question. . .are you contemplating to possibly have sex with a post-lobotomy patient?
I think it was maybe a test question to liven up the doldrums?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
About the hair, I think he just said hair so I don't know .... We do know that he has a receding hairline and that he sports a short haircut but he also recently grew a beard in the hopes that this would enhance his image with the fairer sex but whether he still has that or not is purely speculative. Obviously growing the little beard didn't do much in the relationship arena and he hasn't mentioned it since so maybe that's all gone. In which case - yes, WHAT hair? Dream on, girl, and may your visions be calmed somewhat with thoughts of Nair, etc.
Oh dang. TV is like a walking cartoon. You know, like the type of funny cartoon illustrations in Playboy.

The visual of him having baby smooth 'little girly' parts under the faded out, baggy tighties with possible red and purple spots on them from the drips off the from spoon eating his Fruit Loops. Ew! Yucky-POO! LOL - *YACK!*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or