Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times

Advertisements

Upon Becoming A Monk

It was late last year when I came upon what would prove to be a momentous decision: I would become a monk.

Now this wasn't due to any slight, real or perceived, that was brought about by a failed relationship, nor was it a fool's journey, thinking that I would ever after avoid the baser elements of the human race. No, this was quite simply a desire to become a more spiritual being.

This included, of course, adopting a minimalist lifestyle, plenty of prayer and exercise, a return to simple, healthy foodstuffs and a total abstinence from sex. The latter is what brings this story to mind here on the Relationships Forum - I thought perhaps that others frequent this electronic town hall who would like, or need, to learn the wondrous benefits of monkhood. So, here is my brief, almost-one-year story...

After I sold off most of my worldly goods, I proceeded first by plane, then by train, bus, pack mule and finally by foot to the Temple of The Most Wonderful Lost Lust, located in the Sung-Shan mountains of Tung-Feng county, Honan Province, China. Fellow martial artists might recognize this location as being the same in which the fabled Shaolin Temple resides; unfortunately, my grueling training schedule would not allow a pilgrimage to this sacred location.

Upon my arrival I was greeted by the Head Abbot, a portly fellow with the last name of Ancostello (a surprise, but he turned out to be from Hoboken, New Jersey - what a small world!). Abbot Ancostello introduced me to my roommate and training partner, a shifty, pale-looking Greek named Spiradyme - first name Kanyu. So along with Brother Kanyu Spiradyme and Abbot Ancostello, I entered what would be my living space for the following year - a tiny room with a single thread-bare blanket, a small wooden pillow and the stump of a melted yellow-white candle.

The trials and tribulations that I underwent were many and difficult, and I would spare those of you with weak constitutions. For those who, however, enjoy a good tale of suffering, know that yours truly was subjected to physical, mental and spiritual tests that would have eliminated any lesser man. Indeed, at times I devoutly wished nothing more than a cold bottle of beer to quaff and a warm female body to embrace.

Instead, I had to make-do with lukewarm porridge (watery pumpkin with a little rice) and the company of my Senior training instructor, Brother Wang-Chung. Wang-Chung was a true sadist, putting we acolytes through inhuman exercises and laughing insanely all the while. His comeuppance occurred in late August, when one of the bolder Brothers organized a vendetta in which we would all take part (said vendetta was launched by one Brother stealing beneath our windows and whispering “Everybody, Wang-Chung - tonight!”). Sister Lolita Humbert from the Temple of The Most Amazing Golden Yum-Yum (just down the road) having been offered a small yet sufficient payment in local coin late that night, we alerted the Head Abbot to Brother Wang-Chung's indiscretion.

Abbot Ancostello discovered Brother Wang-Chung working diligently through pages 274-279 of the Kama Sutra with petite little Sister Lolita. His ejection from the monastery was fast and painful, while we who had brought about his downfall suppressed our laughter until the Abbott had retired for the evening.
Meanwhile, my training was paying off handsomely. I had lost any urge to indulge in matters of the flesh (despite Brother Harold “Happy Tails” Hapsburg's repeated attempts to teach me the martial technique known as “Dragon Grabs The Two Celestial Pearls”). My diet had become healthier, my body strong and sleek, and my mind sharp as a tack. I had forsaken alcohol, tobacco and drugs of any sort.

I was purified. I was a truly spiritual person. I was at peace.

...until just now, when I returned home and connected to this damned forum once again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Upon Becoming A Monk

It was late last year when I came upon what would prove to be a momentous decision: I would become a monk.

Now this wasn't due to any slight, real or perceived, that was brought about by a failed relationship, nor was it a fool's journey, thinking that I would ever after avoid the baser elements of the human race. No, this was quite simply a desire to become a more spiritual being.

This included, of course, adopting a minimalist lifestyle, plenty of prayer and exercise, a return to simple, healthy foodstuffs and a total abstinence from sex. The latter is what brings this story to mind here on the Relationships Forum - I thought perhaps that others frequent this electronic town hall who would like, or need, to learn the wondrous benefits of monkhood. So, here is my brief, almost-one-year story...

After I sold off most of my worldly goods, I proceeded first by plane, then by train, bus, pack mule and finally by foot to the Temple of The Most Wonderful Lost Lust, located in the Sung-Shan mountains of Tung-Feng county, Honan Province, China. Fellow martial artists might recognize this location as being the same in which the fabled Shaolin Temple resides; unfortunately, my grueling training schedule would not allow a pilgrimage to this sacred location.

Upon my arrival I was greeted by the Head Abbot, a portly fellow with the last name of Ancostello (a surprise, but he turned out to be from Hoboken, New Jersey - what a small world!). Abbot Ancostello introduced me to my roommate and training partner, a shifty, pale-looking Greek named Spiradyme - first name Kanyu. So along with Brother Kanyu Spiradyme and Abbot Ancostello, I entered what would be my living space for the following year - a tiny room with a single thread-bare blanket, a small wooden pillow and the stump of a melted yellow-white candle.

The trials and tribulations that I underwent were many and difficult, and I would spare those of you with weak constitutions. For those who, however, enjoy a good tale of suffering, know that yours truly was subjected to physical, mental and spiritual tests that would have eliminated any lesser man. Indeed, at times I devoutly wished nothing more than a cold bottle of beer to quaff and a warm female body to embrace.

Instead, I had to make-do with lukewarm porridge (watery pumpkin with a little rice) and the company of my Senior training instructor, Brother Wang-Chung. Wang-Chung was a true sadist, putting we acolytes through inhuman exercises and laughing insanely all the while. His comeuppance occurred in late August, when one of the bolder Brothers organized a vendetta in which we would all take part (said vendetta was launched by one Brother stealing beneath our windows and whispering “Everybody, Wang-Chung - tonight!”). Sister Lolita Humbert from the Temple of The Most Amazing Golden Yum-Yum (just down the road) having been offered a small yet sufficient payment in local coin late that night, we alerted the Head Abbot to Brother Wang-Chung's indiscretion.

Abbot Ancostello discovered Brother Wang-Chung working diligently through pages 274-279 of the Kama Sutra with petite little Sister Lolita. His ejection from the monastery was fast and painful, while we who had brought about his downfall suppressed our laughter until the Abbott had retired for the evening.
Meanwhile, my training was paying off handsomely. I had lost any urge to indulge in matters of the flesh (despite Brother Harold “Happy Tails” Hapsburg's repeated attempts to teach me the martial technique known as “Dragon Grabs The Two Celestial Pearls”). My diet had become healthier, my body strong and sleek, and my mind sharp as a tack. I had forsaken alcohol, tobacco and drugs of any sort.

I was purified. I was a truly spiritual person. I was at peace.

...until just now, when I returned home and connected to this damned forum once again..

hahahahahaha - YAY! You're back!!! I know I missed your posts

Old 09-17-2009, 11:27 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
What was wrong with American monasteries?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Gosh, why does Abbot Ancostello sound so familiar? Sounds like someone I dated? No?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Welcome back! We missed you!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
HAHA our pal Phil has not lost his flair for creative BS in fact it seems to have grown

Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hahahahahaha - YAY! You're back!!! I know I missed your posts
Aw, thank you. I missed you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor
Welcome back! We missed you!!!
*sniff*...now I'm gonna' get all weepy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito
Gosh, why does Abbot Ancostello sound so familiar? Sounds like someone I dated?
Were they on first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala
What was wrong with American monasteries?
Well, my orange robes clashed with the yarmulke...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:45 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
This guy
I have been looking my whole life for a person with a sense of humor like this. When he said he traveled across the world only to meet up with someone from Hoboken, New Jersey, I though it was the begining of a most tragic story. That's like inheriting a Sultan's Harem where upon lifting the first veil you see Betty Friedan's face staring back at you.

But no, a most elaborate satire.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
This guy
I have been looking my whole life for a person with a sense of humor like this.
With all due respect, keep looking.

Trust me.

Even the stray dogs in the temple avoided me.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
One of the handful of posters I could relate too. It is nice to see a creative and articulate writer back on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships