Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

What is it about how sometimes, not very often, how you just don't like someone. For no real reason. I'm a pretty mellow guy, easy to get along with.

Is it some kind of psychic type of thing, something subliminal, subconscious. I saw this guy today at the grocery store and he just didn't seem right to me. He looked untrustworthy, maybe even dangerous.

Not fair, cause maybe he is just some average Joe and I'm assigning nefarious traits to the poor guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
I dunno...I think those instincts are often right on the mark.

You shoulda cold-cocked the guy, just in case.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
It can very well be subliminal subconscious or gut instinct...sort of like an electrical vibe. I remember being in a store and there were these two young girls like maybe 13 years old at best and there was this guy in line behind them and this guy gave me the weirdest vibe and my instincts immediately kicked in and I didn't want him to follow the girls outside of the store so I leaned over in the lane and said to them, they'll ring up what you have in the back counter of the store and the girls trotted off to the back register and I was relieved. There was just something about him that troubled me.

There is a book about this very thing worth reading and it's called, "The Gift of Fear" I highly recommend it, it's very good and speaks about this very thing.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:10 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I dunno...I think those instincts are often right on the mark.

I'm literally laughing my ass off.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:11 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What is it about how sometimes, not very often, how you just don't like someone. For no real reason. I'm a pretty mellow guy, easy to get along with.

Is it some kind of psychic type of thing, something subliminal, subconscious. I saw this guy today at the grocery store and he just didn't seem right to me. He looked untrustworthy, maybe even dangerous.

Not fair, cause maybe he is just some average Joe and I'm assigning nefarious traits to the poor guy.
I'd say it was your gut intuition kicking in. I would always err on the side of caution and trust it to protect yourself, just in case.

This happens to me with both men and women in a variety of places. If I sense something isn't right, I try not to have any interaction with that person at all. I do my transaction and get the heck out of there.

That reminds me of that famous book that guy wrote about trusting your senses when danger is near or you just don't trust the person who's giving off those vibes. You go with your gut.

See, Thursday007 already beat me to it! She knows!

Last edited by cricket_factor; 10-10-2009 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: Poster above already mentioned the book and author!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Pretty unnerving exercise we did once - one had to stare on the other's person's eyes, deeply, and say, "I trust you" or "I don't trust you", (truthfully, based on the feeling they got), and do so with the rest of the people. Invoking the subconscious? Very surprising results.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:21 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Creepy. One time, I was doing that "internet" dating thang, and met a guy at Starbucks, he looked "okay" but I don't know, just something seemed "off" to me. For whatever reason...I left quickly, and never let him know where I lived or anything. Who knows? But he just creeped me out.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:27 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
That's the kind of thing I teach to my advanced students - you'd be surprised how reliable it can become with a little work.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,661,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Yeah......That was a good one!

As for your question, yes, it happens to me to.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 PM

720 posts, read 1,407,995 times
People creep me out all the time. It's a gut instinct and I am usually right if I feel like someone's light bulb is burnt out....better to be safe and cynical than dead and mutilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships