U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 03:26 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,353,153 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of mine (woman in her late 40s) takes her mother on nearly every vacation with her and her husband. The woman isn't frail and doesn't live with them, so it's not some sort of health or safety issue. She just wants her mother to come along and she says her husband doesn't mind.

I think this is weird and I've told her so. I couldn't even imagine my mum going on vacation with me and my husband, if I was married. She simply wouldn't allow it. In fact, my folks paid for a vacation for me and my former SO so we could get away and have bonding time and they watched our son!

Why on Earth would a woman take her mother with them on vacation? And why would a husband put up with that?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 03:28 PM

22,779 posts, read 26,638,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why on Earth would a woman take her mother with them on vacation? And why would a husband put up with that?
Some people get along well with their mothers, like friends.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Some people get along well with their mothers, like friends.
Um, I got along GREAT with my mum -- that isn't the point. Aren't vacations important for couples to get away and enjoy each other? The mother lives in the same town as her daughter so it's not as if they don't see each other much.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,922,733 times
It would be weird for me, but if the three of them like it, no worries.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 PM

19,078 posts, read 22,195,835 times
I wouldn't take my mom on every vacation (not that we can afford vacations at this juncture any way), but I'd like for us to go on a cruise together (husband's included). My mom and grandma are very close; best friends.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 4,073,188 times
I love my mother very much, and we have a great relationship... but taking her along on vacation, that is just a bit strange.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It would be weird for me, but if the three of them like it, no worries.
I guess. I reacted with something like "you're kidding!" when she said her mother was going with them again. (She's gone along on every one of their past several vacations.) After I reacted, I felt a little badly and now I'm wondering if this is a common thing in families. It surely wasn't in mine. Heh, if I invited my mum along, she'd think something was wrong with our relationship and I wanted her to run interference!

Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,863,555 times
Every family is different. Maybe all three get along fabulously well and enjoy having a large block of time to just have fun with each other. As long as the married couple feels they get enough "us" time on a regular basis, why not? I'd say it's somewhat unusual, but not weird or unhealthy.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 PM

9,410 posts, read 18,229,378 times
Nothing wrong with having a close family member along on a vacation from time to time. Especially while they are still healthy enough to get around and enjoy life. Perhaps the "Honeymoon" aspect of their life is long over, and vacations are merely a chance for a change of scenery, not quality time together or something romantic. I sometimes wonder why some couples even bother to go on vacations together. They're bored with one another's company and by the looks of their vacation photos nothing changed...they have that look on their face like "We've been stuck together 24/7 since we got off the plane, if he/she says or does _______ one more time I'm going to snap!" While it's nice to get away together once in a while, once you've been togehter for a couple of decades the thrill probably comes more from sightseeing than being in one another's company.

Believe it or not, some people out there actually like their inlaws.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:48 PM

9,194 posts, read 14,536,067 times
I might do it once in a while, but not on every vacation. Doesn't sound like he's "putting up" with anything if he doesn't mind. Some people make great in-laws, some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships