Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Oh see I never accomplish anything, and I consider myself a loser because Im a high school dropout with a GED, and can't get a minumum wage job.
oh, now I see - it's you, sorry didn't read the whole thread first.

Start by setting some goals for yourself - not huge ones, little ones are fine to start. Every day, have one goal you plan to accomplish. As you go about setting these goals and accomplishing them you will begin to feel better about yourself.

Also, if you are on medication for your depression it is imperative that you take it the way it was prescribed EVERY DAY, okay? Your depression could be making you feel worse about yourself than is normal, so don't let it beat you - beat it down instead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
Quote:
Oh that post was nice, but Im only 17 and was teased alot in grade school, so thats why I dropped out of high school and got a GED. I quit everything I do. I've been diagnosed with depression. And right now Im struggling to find a job. So everything in my life seems to be going wrong.

You can't get self-esteem by quitting everything cause people give you a hard time, kiddo.

There is a book in my local library called The Myth of Self-Esteem. I haven't read it but you can Google it if you can. When you accomplish something and have something to be proud of, that's when the self-confidence comes in. But with your negative thinking 24/7, wow. That amazes even me.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,054 times
By the way, have you been looking for temporary work?

Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,029,958 times
First of all, stop whining and start DOING.

Now!!!!

I am getting the impression that you're waiting for something or someone to tell you what you're supposed to do and life does not work like that. You need to be self-motivated and active - not passive.

You said you dropped out of college. . . my suggesting is to go back and finish it! Get your degree! Stop being so weak and letting every little thing bring you down. You must be strong. You must have perseverance. It will be hard and there will be times you feel like quitting - this applies to almost anything - but you need to have the strength and determination to not give up. Being a quitter will get you nowhere in life.

Stop being so negative too. It's bad energy. You think negatively and therefore you act negatively.

You would be amazed what a change of mindset can do to you. It can change your life, your future, and yourself. I'm not just rambling a bunch of sh*t either. I'm speaking from experience.

I have pity for people who have unfortunate situations bestowed upon them. However, I do NOT have pity for those who choose to sit and whine instead of going out and making the changes they want in their life.

We're in the same generation. I understand how you feel. I get your issue with self-esteem and other people making fun of you. Don't let that control you though. You can not control the things that happen in this world but you can control how you choose to react to them. Stop giving up so early. If you keep letting yourself get defeated so easily, you really won't make any progress.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
Quote:
How do you do it?
Aight man, I'll try to help ya out as much as I can here..

First, building up self esteem is really all about attitude. Read this quote: "Live is 90% attitude and only 10% what really happens."

That quote changed my life.

Seriously.

Ok, here's some things about self-esteem in general:

Change how you look and look the way you see yourself. If you want to be a professional, get a suit and tie. Wear them. You'll be amazed at how much you can change your self esteem just by changing your appearance. Get a new hair cut, hell, dye your hair if it'll make you feel better.

Talk to people about anything. Seriously, the more people you talk to, the more comfortable you'll feel with yourself. If you're shy, this will help you tremendously. Force yourself to do it - soon enough you won't even think about it when you do, it'll just be natural. Trust me on this one..

Get out. Go outside and talk a walk, exercise.. Go to a busy park and say hi to everyone you pass. Exercising, even a little, always boosts self esteem.

Think of it this way, that's all a good start. Like I said, it all has to do with attitude.

Now, about the whole job situation:

I've spent many years writing resume's and helping people figure things out. EVERYONE has special skills and abilities that employers look for - Everyone. You just have to figure out what yours are. You have to look outside the box on this one. For example, are you the type that likes to keep things clean and organized? Your room, car, whatever? Well, more than likely, you're a detail oriented person - that goes great on a resume.

Thing is, you're 17.. Employers know that you're not going to have a lot of education or experience yet - that's expected. We know that - so don't worry about that. Focus on creating a skills based resume. Again, another example, if you know how to use word, excel, or any of that - that's something you can put on your resume. You know how to move around online - you're computer literate. All of these things can be used, so give yourself more credit. Forget about people looking at you weird because you have a G.E.D., or that you didn't go to college.. all of that doesn't really matter. What employers look at is one thing: Can you do the job or not? Hell, you don't even have to put your education on your resume if you don't want to..

Alright, I've rambled long enough. I'll give you one final piece of advice: Go to the library and pick up a book called, "What Color is your Parachute?". Get the most recent one you can find, and then work through it. I can pretty much promise you that it'll help you get a job as well as help you increase your self esteem. I've recommended that book to almost everyone I've helped, and so far, it's always done the trick. There's several pages you'll want to photocopy, so be ready for that.. but just do it.

Anyway man, I wish ya the best.. I hope that at least some of this helps..

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
Aight man, I'll try to help ya out as much as I can here..

First, building up self esteem is really all about attitude. Read this quote: "Live is 90% attitude and only 10% what really happens."

That quote changed my life.

Seriously.

Ok, here's some things about self-esteem in general:

Change how you look and look the way you see yourself. If you want to be a professional, get a suit and tie. Wear them. You'll be amazed at how much you can change your self esteem just by changing your appearance. Get a new hair cut, hell, dye your hair if it'll make you feel better.

Talk to people about anything. Seriously, the more people you talk to, the more comfortable you'll feel with yourself. If you're shy, this will help you tremendously. Force yourself to do it - soon enough you won't even think about it when you do, it'll just be natural. Trust me on this one..

Get out. Go outside and talk a walk, exercise.. Go to a busy park and say hi to everyone you pass. Exercising, even a little, always boosts self esteem.

Think of it this way, that's all a good start. Like I said, it all has to do with attitude.

Now, about the whole job situation:

I've spent many years writing resume's and helping people figure things out. EVERYONE has special skills and abilities that employers look for - Everyone. You just have to figure out what yours are. You have to look outside the box on this one. For example, are you the type that likes to keep things clean and organized? Your room, car, whatever? Well, more than likely, you're a detail oriented person - that goes great on a resume.

Thing is, you're 17.. Employers know that you're not going to have a lot of education or experience yet - that's expected. We know that - so don't worry about that. Focus on creating a skills based resume. Again, another example, if you know how to use word, excel, or any of that - that's something you can put on your resume. You know how to move around online - you're computer literate. All of these things can be used, so give yourself more credit. Forget about people looking at you weird because you have a G.E.D., or that you didn't go to college.. all of that doesn't really matter. What employers look at is one thing: Can you do the job or not? Hell, you don't even have to put your education on your resume if you don't want to..

Alright, I've rambled long enough. I'll give you one final piece of advice: Go to the library and pick up a book called, "What Color is your Parachute?". Get the most recent one you can find, and then work through it. I can pretty much promise you that it'll help you get a job as well as help you increase your self esteem. I've recommended that book to almost everyone I've helped, and so far, it's always done the trick. There's several pages you'll want to photocopy, so be ready for that.. but just do it.

Anyway man, I wish ya the best.. I hope that at least some of this helps..

Good luck!
Thank you for the great post!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
Quote:
Thank you for the great post!

No problem man.. let me know how everything goes.

If ya need any help when you get to the resume part let me know and I'll do what I can.. Good luck boss..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Self esteem starts with liking yourself and believing in yourself, if you don't believe in yourself, no one else will either.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,149 times
What about patience does that help? I've become a materalitic 17 yo who wants everything now. But if i get the discipline and focus to go to college, I can make my future a whole lot better. The only unfortunate part is that spring semester doesn't start til January, so I'll have to wait a while.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:40 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Quote:
What about patience does that help? I've become a materalitic 17 yo who wants everything now. But if i get the discipline and focus to go to college, I can make my future a whole lot better. The only unfortunate part is that spring semester doesn't start til January, so I'll have to wait a while.
Patience isn't so much related to life as it is maturity. Even as adults we have things we have to be patient for and yes, once you've realized a goal you've set for yourself, in that regard yes - your esteem wil gradually come up. Patient is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships