Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 02:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
One could argue the opposite. Perhaps it is the women that find marriage less appealing. Now that women are more or less on equal footing as men as far as earning potential and given the reproductive control over our bodies we no longer feel we must be dominated in a marriage. Why marry when we are expected to earn an equal income as well as be a domestic servent and produce children. Most women can financially support themselves, buy a home and car, have sex whenever they want, afford to hire someone for repairs and dont have to deal with cheating, physical and emotional abuse or picking up after and cooking for someone daily.
you could be right. but that would not explain the avalanche of CDF female posts on lack of committment lack of interest passive aggressive and all around lack of quality male attention.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-21-2009 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
As far as the belief that men get raped in a divorce and that is why men dont want to marry, have any of you actually looked up the divorce laws in your state? Im not doubting that there are cases where a wealthy man's wife never works and so it appears that she gets more than her share, but this is not the majority. Normally, marital assests are split 50/50, how they are divided is battled over in mediation. Alimony, only after 10 years of marriage and only when one salary is much less and for a set amount of time. CS is another issure, but based on who has custody and on both salaries.

Actually, I think men have it better in divorce these days since most women work or have an education for earning potential and have contributed financially to the purchase of houses, cars, etc. and no alimony is paid.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I do wonder if one of the issues mentioned in that song actually happens--where the wife can FORCE the man to live somewhere other than the residence he has with her.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Ah, but what if you're NOT expected to work for compensation?
Most women work prior to marriage, during and after marriage. If you create a relationship where one gives up their ability to be able to support themselve then the other should be willing to compenstate.

Quote:
you could be right. but that would not explain the avalanche of CDF female posts on lack of committment lack of interest passive aggressive and all around lack of quality male attention.
There will always be those on each side. Not unlike yourself, I have resentments towards my stbx and am often outspoken on these issues, but, Im not worried about male attention or givin up on future relatinships, tho marriage is definately out. My explaination is that this is often a venting place and people often let their emotions all hang out here, but not so much in real life.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I do wonder if one of the issues mentioned in that song actually happens--where the wife can FORCE the man to live somewhere other than the residence he has with her.
If there is physical abuse involved.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I find it peculiar that many women in this discussion have made it a point to throw out something along the lines of: "I don't NEED a man to buy anything for me, I make more money than he does anyway.. blah blah..."

I have a difficult time relating this recurring theme to the O.P.'s post.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
As far as the belief that men get raped in a divorce and that is why men dont want to marry, have any of you actually looked up the divorce laws in your state? Im not doubting that there are cases where a wealthy man's wife never works and so it appears that she gets more than her share, but this is not the majority. Normally, marital assests are split 50/50, how they are divided is battled over in mediation. Alimony, only after 10 years of marriage and only when one salary is much less and for a set amount of time. CS is another issure, but based on who has custody and on both salaries.

Actually, I think men have it better in divorce these days since most women work or have an education for earning potential and have contributed financially to the purchase of houses, cars, etc. and no alimony is paid.
yes and i know the difference between reading code and what happens in a court. they are not split 50/50. a settlement is reached by the attorneys after debts and assets are listed. they "negotiate" the settlement. that means buddy you pay her credit cards. its like criminal law, just because you were found not guilty by the court does not mean you did not rape her.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
If there is physical abuse involved.
Does she have to PROVE it, or merely claim it?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
One could argue the opposite. Perhaps it is the women that find marriage less appealing. Now that women are more or less on equal footing as men as far as earning potential and given the reproductive control over our bodies we no longer feel we must be dominated in a marriage. Why marry when we are expected to earn an equal income as well as be a domestic servent and produce children. Most women can financially support themselves, buy a home and car, have sex whenever they want, afford to hire someone for repairs and dont have to deal with cheating, physical and emotional abuse or picking up after and cooking for someone daily.
I'd agree. Women are brought up to think Career Career Career Career. Fine and dandy, but the problem comes when they put their family lives and opportunity to raise children aside to keep going w/the career. I would rather be single than marry that type of woman.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Redisca, in some other thread, showed with evidence that men who actually want custody get it 90% of the time. The reality is that most men don't want it. If they file for it, it's usually as a barganing tool that's later dropped once they get what they're really after (I'm assuming assets).
It took me awhile, but I found the info you referenced without a link. As I expected, it wasn't true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Redisca is an attorney, so she's aware of what's going on. I'm from NJ and I'm saying you're wrong.
More like, Redisca is an attorney, so she knows how to push her agenda regardless of truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships