Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Did you ever consider your children might not WANT any of those homes?
In that case, the children can always sell the homes, split the money and use that as seed money to buy houses that they want to live in. The beauty of owning a home is that one builds equity that can be used for later on.

Renting is like leasing a car, it makes no sense at all. Once your lease period is up, you have absolutely nothing to show for it, but the landlord and the dealership still made their profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
And you haven't had to fix anything on the car, and you can get something else that runs well. I don't own a car. One of the reasons for that is that they seem to develop major mechanical problems when I do. I've blown 3 engines, and 4 transmissions. It is unwise for me to do anything but--at the most--rent a car. It's even better for me to walk a few miles back and forth.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
While I agree that it's generally expected that a person in his 30s be more mature and responsible than someone in their 20s, the danger is in inferring too much meaning into certain things. Some people are far too quick to fill in the blanks with their worst thoughts. Oh the person is over 30 and doesn't own a home? He must be lousy with money. Oh the person already has a child? She must be looking for a daddy for her kid. Some people will ask why the person doesn't own a home yet or why the single mom came to be a single mom. But others won't even bother to get the full story. Instead, they'll assume the worst and move on, only they might've missed out on someone really great for them.
I agree, Denny. I will go back to what I said before (hmm, maybe it wasn't in this thread):

1. We assess a lot about a person in a face-to-face meeting. How he speaks, what he's wearing, how he carries himself, how he treats other people. We infer a lot from that information, right or wrong. We may be wrong--perhaps the dirty, rough-looking guy is a millionaire who helped an old lady change a tire on the way over--but we all rely on these impressions of people. If we meet someone online, we have to find new ways to evaluate the person. Some of these methods are clumsy.

2. "Do you own your own home?" does not necessarily mean "You'd better own your own home."

Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM

149 posts, read 228,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Of course it helps that I didn't want to have kids.... and I also feel that the US is overpopulated in the sense that we aren't creating good jobs fast enough to keep up with our growing population. So all of you making babies for decades is what is causing our high housing prices and current recession. Stop having kids!
So, you are saying since I got married and had a child I raised housing prices? Are you serious? I hope you were being facetious! Houses are at an all time low right now. Thats not even logical thinking. Come on...you can conceive a better reason than that!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM

19,631 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
While I agree that it's generally expected that a person in his 30s be more mature and responsible than someone in their 20s, the danger is in inferring too much meaning into certain things. Some people are far too quick to fill in the blanks with their worst thoughts. Oh the person is over 30 and doesn't own a home? He must be lousy with money. Oh the person already has a child? She must be looking for a daddy for her kid. Some people will ask why the person doesn't own a home yet or why the single mom came to be a single mom. But others won't even bother to get the full story. Instead, they'll assume the worst and move on, only they might've missed out on someone really great for them.
This is so very true. If you have ever been a victim of negative assumptions, it is not a good feeling. Such thinking is also based on stereotypes and a black/white rulebook that does not always bear true. We are such a cynical society. If someone merely looks at you or asks a few narrow questions and thinks they know your story, that is quite arrogant. It seems we could at least listen to each other and then make our judgements.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotncndy30 View Post
So, you are saying since I got married and had a child I raised housing prices? Are you serious? I hope you were being facetious! Houses are at an all time low right now. Thats not even logical thinking. Come on...you can conceive a better reason than that!
Soooooo you're the one that caused all this and stopped me from getting a house a few years ago. I'm gonna tell on ya! Mooooooom!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
The thing is, why is a house viewed as something better than an apartment? I'd rather live in an apartment downtown that a house in suburbia.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree, Denny. I will go back to what I said before (hmm, maybe it wasn't in this thread):

1. We assess a lot about a person in a face-to-face meeting. How he speaks, what he's wearing, how he carries himself, how he treats other people. We infer a lot from that information, right or wrong. We may be wrong--perhaps the dirty, rough-looking guy is a millionaire who helped an old lady change a tire on the way over--but we all rely on these impressions of people. If we meet someone online, we have to find new ways to evaluate the person. Some of these methods are clumsy.

2. "Do you own your own home?" does not necessarily mean "You'd better own your own home."
And we all know the OP of this thread is never ever prone to hyperbole or jumps to conclusions.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
The thing is, why is a house viewed as something better than an apartment? I'd rather live in an apartment downtown that a house in suburbia.
Because a lot of people equate it with being financially stable and responsible with money. Not true.

I can buy a house. I can pay a mortage. But ooooohhh there's a BASS boat on QVC for a really good price. I'll buy it. Ohhhh I need a trailer to tow it. Gotta buy the trailer. Uh oh, my car won't tow that much weight. Gotta get a bigger car or truck. Ok now we're set. Oh but wait, QVC is having a special on a beer cooler that doubles as a coffee table with a picture of your favorite SI swimsuit model. Oh I gotta get me one of those and I'll get one for Bill and one for Jimbo and one for Jed and one for Dad. Dang, I'm out of beer, better stock up on more, lots more for my boat party that I'm going to have when I get it. Hey Dodge brought back the Charger, the one my Dad always talked about. I gotta have one of those too.

And on, and on and on.

Doesn't matter if you own or rent, if you do the above, then you're not financially stable nor are you responsible with money.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:08 PM

19,631 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
. I'm working on that. A lot of people are fleeing suburbia and their Mcmansions full of stuff in favor of smaller digs in downtown areas. Even if they have to rent. It's a quality of life issue and it's about what you value and how you want to spend your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships