U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 AM
 
1,526 posts, read 2,334,711 times
Reputation: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't understand why ANYONE would want to own a home.
For the most part so you have a place of your own. Ideally with no HOA either. Plenty of ground. Like an estate.

No crap from landlords, no crap from neighbors.

As a personal sanctuary from the suckitude of what people have done to this planet in many places, LOL!

Heck, don't most of the "Rich and Famous" have large estates quite well secluded from "the masses"?

Yeah, property values are down at the moment, but only relative to a trumped up credit bubble.

The fundamental, intrinsic value of a paid off place of your own on this planet has not changed.

Either you can afford it, or you can't. But that doesn't change it's intrinsic desirability. Unless of course you are capable of fooling yourself in a Sour Grapes fashion.

Sort of like the poor person who says, "What does anyone need with a Bentley [or other pricey item]?"

Well, clearly no one may need a Bentley, etc. but it still may be quite a desirable item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2009, 04:24 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 26,402,591 times
Reputation: 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
For the most part so you have a place of your own. Ideally with no HOA either. Plenty of ground. Like an estate.

No crap from landlords, no crap from neighbors.

As a personal sanctuary from the suckitude of what people have done to this planet in many places, LOL!

Heck, don't most of the "Rich and Famous" have large estates quite well secluded from "the masses"?

Yeah, property values are down at the moment, but only relative to a trumped up credit bubble.

The fundamental, intrinsic value of a paid off place of your own on this planet has not changed.

Either you can afford it, or you can't. But that doesn't change it's intrinsic desirability. Unless of course you are capable of fooling yourself in a Sour Grapes fashion.

Sort of like the poor person who says, "What does anyone need with a Bentley [or other pricey item]?"

Well, clearly no one may need a Bentley, etc. but it still may be quite a desirable item.
Unless you live far from your neighbors, you still have to deal with their "stuff". Some neighborhoods work out well, some are more problematic. Houses, condos, duplexes, and apartments are all capable of being rented. If you rent a house with a yard, it usually becomes your responsibility to mow it. Since I live in an apartment, I don't have to worry about mowing a yard--and, since I don't WANT children, I don't really have much reason to have one (a yard).

I have never desired to own any sort of property. That gives me more money to spend on...going out to eat, since I don't really cook that well, or whatever else I might want to spend it on, whatever services I want provided for me instead of doing it myself. My funds don't go to any sort of vehicle either. Don't own one, don't want one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 26,402,591 times
Reputation: 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I don't have one, but think about all the wasted rent money...it could be going to something that belongs to you.
I don't put a value on owning "things"...including real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 05:11 AM
 
16,623 posts, read 13,837,041 times
Reputation: 11466
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't put a value on owning "things"...including real estate.
So you'll give me your house? That is awfully nice of you. I've always wanted a vacation spot in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,238 posts, read 26,402,591 times
Reputation: 10565
It's not mine to give, remember? I'm only renting...an apartment at that, not a house. Though there ARE houses for rent around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
 
Location: right under the ceiling fan ;)
607 posts, read 843,844 times
Reputation: 555
To OP, you have got to be kidding me, did someone tell you that you need to have a home by the time that you are in your 30's? Dude if they said that to you I must say that is total bull****! If I met a guy who did not own a home I could care less, just as long has he is happy I will be happy. Don't let that lady or man get to you man, if you are happy in your pad that is all that should matter and that lady or anyone for that matter should NOT bring you down for that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
 
3,220 posts, read 3,964,170 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't put a value on owning "things"...including real estate.
Also, when in a House one's most likely paying a mortgage which means it's "not yours" it's the banks house, the one making the payments has their name on it as debt in which even if paid off the municipality, town, state, etc...., can take that house away if taxes aren't paid. Annnnnd the person taking up that space gets to spend money repairing, maintenance, worries, etc.,,, too.

So when is the house and property it sits on freely "yours" with no monies coming out of pocket just to stand in that space?

Equity is a word used very much but it also can be either a zero sum or negative sum game.

It's really only "great" if one purchases the home paid in full, but still has to worry about the other bills and responsibilities associated with having a home.

Here in Northern NJ the real estate prices is high and so are the ultra high property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
20,901 posts, read 18,495,497 times
Reputation: 29289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't put a value on owning "things"...including real estate.
That's fine. As many people have said, it's not really about the house. It's about stability and planning for a secure future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,647,971 times
Reputation: 4466
Where I grew up I was impressed if anyone had an apartment of their own! (Long Island). Very few people in their 20s can afford an apartment there and many live at home.

I still feel like the OP and all you other folks must date very vacuous people if all they care about is what you earn or own!

If I was in my 30s and single I would be doing my own thing, saving money, whatever, not worrying what a 'guy' can do for me. Apparently I am one of the lesser material people..

Now I am in my 40s, yes, I would love a house and a great job OF my own...not looking for my husband to provide these. I would love to be an equal partner, not unemployed, and not looking 'for a sugar daddy.' Women, get some self respect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 4,329,917 times
Reputation: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Where I grew up I was impressed if anyone had an apartment of their own! (Long Island). Very few people in their 20s can afford an apartment there and many live at home.
Born, raised and still there. Not sure when you left but nothing has changed in that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I still feel like the OP and all you other folks must date very vacuous people if all they care about is what you earn or own!
I had a few girls turn away from me back when I was living with my parents and yes some asked outright what I earned. I wouldn't tell them as it was none of their business and we're on a date, not engaged. Best thing is if they're asking material questions, they're not for you. Just move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If I was in my 30s and single I would be doing my own thing, saving money, whatever, not worrying what a 'guy' can do for me. Apparently I am one of the lesser material people..
Those with a good head on their shoulders did that. And same goes for guys too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Now I am in my 40s, yes, I would love a house and a great job OF my own...not looking for my husband to provide these. I would love to be an equal partner, not unemployed, and not looking 'for a sugar daddy.' Women, get some self respect...
Not there yet and yes I would love a house too and we're working on saving for one. Problem is these young'uns say "Why don't you have a house?" And they have no clue on the concept of affording one. Those who are not familiar with Long Island, with the cost of living here being high, even two incomes is sometimes not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top