U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM

27,238 posts, read 25,151,188 times
If you own your own home, things like floods, fires, hurricanes...can destroy your entire investment overnight. If you rent, you can simply find somewhere untouched and start over. You don't have to worry about paying off the mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM

20,604 posts, read 17,181,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you own your own home, things like floods, fires, hurricanes...can destroy your entire investment overnight. If you rent, you can simply find somewhere untouched and start over. You don't have to worry about paying off the mortgage.
That's why I have insurance.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM

238 posts, read 315,808 times
Quote:
You are right to some extent but dont you think it would be a great feeling to have your own place you can home and not apartment. Renting is fine but owning is staking a claim of the neighborhood,county,state and nation. Think about it!

"things like floods, fires, hurricanes...can destroy your entire investment overnight" - Are you saying one shouldn't venture due to these catastrophes?

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Why take unnecessary risks? We're only here until we die anyhow, so everything is temporary.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:52 PM

16,623 posts, read 12,969,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
You are right to some extent but dont you think it would be a great feeling to have your own place you can home and not apartment.
People do buy apartments and rent single-family homes, you know.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM

300 posts, read 222,907 times
Quote:
Oh for crying out loud! Thats what insurance is for - to replace the structure and household possessions lost.

We own 3 homes - with no mortgages! And we have the total and complete enjoyment of them - to do pretty much as we want - AND, our family enjoys our homes AND when we pass on, we can give these homes to our children and grandchildren.

There are homes that stay in the family for generations!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
miu

12,687 posts, read 20,840,003 times
Default Do women expect a guy in his 30's to have a HOUSE???

^^^ Returning to the thread topic... basically women expect a man in his 30's to be living more responsibly than a younger man in his early 20's. In one's 30's, it's time to live like a mature adult and be able to shoulder responsibilities like marriage, raising kids and hopefully owning their own place. In one's 30's, it is time to have a decent career or job and be living in a way that results in having funds for retirement. And that man shouldn't be counting on living only on his future monthly social security checks.

And if a woman acts disapointed that TVSG doesn't own his own place, then all he has to say is that he hasn't found the right place to buy, but he does have a savings account and is ready to move on a purchase if the right situation happens.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be impressed by a man that overpaid for his place or bought a place that he can't afford to pay the mortgage on. And I'm not a fan of the condo concept.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Oh for crying out loud! Thats what insurance is for - to replace the structure and household possessions lost.

We own 3 homes - with no mortgages! And we have the total and complete enjoyment of them - to do pretty much as we want - AND, our family enjoys our homes AND when we pass on, we can give these homes to our children and grandchildren.

There are homes that stay in the family for generations!
Yeah? I've had some experience with "insurance" after the 2004 hurricane season. It didn't cover her expenses to fix her home at all. She ended up moving further inland instead.

Did you ever consider your children might not WANT any of those homes?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM

300 posts, read 222,907 times
Quote:
Yeah? I've had some experience with "insurance" after the 2004 hurricane season. It didn't cover her expenses to fix her home at all. She ended up moving further inland instead.

Did you ever consider your children might not WANT any of those homes?
A) We don't live where there are Hurricanes. Yuck!

B) We asked our children that very question: Their answer was a resounding - YES - they wanted the homes!

I realize that owning is not for everyone. But, the fact is, a majority of people do want to own their own home. They want the stability of staying in one place - and not having a landlord deciding not to re-rent to them.

I met my husband at a school I was attending. He invited me to his home (he did own it) and he make the most wonderful meal for me - there was caviar and wonderful wine and soft music ......

That was 30 years ago - and it has only gotten BETTER. Over the last couple of years we built two of our homes - one in Alaska and one outside of Phoenix - where we have a wonderful outdoor entertainment area with a fully equipped outdoor kitchen with pizza oven and all sorts of things. I only mention this because, you cannot build these sorts of things into a rental home. We enjoy a certain lifestyle - and a rental home would not fulfill that lifestyle.

Sorry - I went off on a tangent =

Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM

7,301 posts, read 7,779,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
^^^ Returning to the thread topic... basically women expect a man in his 30's to be living more responsibly than a younger man in his early 20's. In one's 30's, it's time to live like a mature adult and be able to shoulder responsibilities like marriage, raising kids and hopefully owning their own place. In one's 30's, it is time to have a decent career or job and be living in a way that results in having funds for retirement. And that man shouldn't be counting on living only on his future monthly social security checks.

And if a woman acts disapointed that TVSG doesn't own his own place, then all he has to say is that he hasn't found the right place to buy, but he does have a savings account and is ready to move on a purchase if the right situation happens.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be impressed by a man that overpaid for his place or bought a place that he can't afford to pay the mortgage on. And I'm not a fan of the condo concept.
While I agree that it's generally expected that a person in his 30s be more mature and responsible than someone in their 20s, the danger is in inferring too much meaning into certain things. Some people are far too quick to fill in the blanks with their worst thoughts. Oh the person is over 30 and doesn't own a home? He must be lousy with money. Oh the person already has a child? She must be looking for a daddy for her kid. Some people will ask why the person doesn't own a home yet or why the single mom came to be a single mom. But others won't even bother to get the full story. Instead, they'll assume the worst and move on, only they might've missed out on someone really great for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships