Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

Regarding financial stability- eh, I had way more money as a renter
But a few years down the road when your mortgage payment is miniscule compared to the average rent, and when you sell your house someday and make a good buck on it, you'll be glad you're not renting and making your landlord's mortgage payment for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I graduated college late (25), but was married at 26, had my first child at 27, and bought a house at 28.
So pretty much you did nothing at 29.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:43 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
So pretty much you did nothing at 29.
Hey, even God took a rest on the 7th day!

Actually, yes I did do something at 29....I started the job I'm at now.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:00 PM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
But a few years down the road when your mortgage payment is miniscule compared to the average rent, and when you sell your house someday and make a good buck on it, you'll be glad you're not renting and making your landlord's mortgage payment for him.
Add in taxes, insurance, maintenance, higher utility bills, repairs, time spent on fixing, maintaning and improving property, timing the market correctly, being strapped to the property for a period of time or possibly ending up upside down, less money going to 401k and other investments. Put it all together and figure out the real numbers, the own vs. rent gap isn't so wide.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
My previous land lady bought a second home for her friends that were in need. She paid the mortgage with my rent check. That was a motivator for me. But, I still don't know if it all evens out. Maybe it will in decades, certainly not in a few years. There are also sacrifices that aren't financial. I used to love it when it rained. I'd sit at my window and enjoy. Now, I worry about the gutters and basement leaking lol. Same goes for snow. A storm meant no work, and all play. Now- is my roof in good shape? I don't mean to complain, I'm just noting a few things as a new home owner.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My previous land lady bought a second home for her friends that were in need. She paid the mortgage with my rent check. That was a motivator for me. But, I still don't know if it all evens out. Maybe it will in decades, certainly not in a few years. There are also sacrifices that aren't financial. I used to love it when it rained. I'd sit at my window and enjoy. Now, I worry about the gutters and basement leaking lol. Same goes for snow. A storm meant no work, and all play. Now- is my roof in good shape? I don't mean to complain, I'm just noting a few things as a new home owner.

Before you buy a used home Inspectors check the roof, plumbing, check for termites, etc, etc. There is a list of systems checked.

Normally any problems have to be repaired before you buy & move in/take possession of home. The seller pays for repairs.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM

218 posts, read 799,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Renting is like leasing a car, it makes no sense at all. Once your lease period is up, you have absolutely nothing to show for it, but the landlord and the dealership still made their profit.
As a renter, I think there is a difference in how people who prefer to rent view renting and those who prefer to own view it. Buyers see it as making someone else's mortgage payment. Renters (by choice) view it differently depending on their situation.

I haven't lived in one place more than five years in my lifetime and not more than three years since being on my own. Part of what I pay for, as a renter, is the ability to move as often as I do without worrying about selling a house first or ending up a landlord myself (which I have even less desire to do). In my case, rent isn't just about paying for a place to stay it's also about paying for the ability to leave.

Home ownership can be a great thing, but it isn't always and I think that's something to keep in mind, particularly if you won't be there long enough to ride out the rough patches. When the furnance dies, the roof leaks or plumbing needs replaced it's the owner's responsibility not mine. And should the need arise to sell the home it may not be possible to sell it for what you paid much less what else you may have put into it.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Before you buy a used home Inspectors check the roof, plumbing, check for termites, etc, etc. There is a list of systems checked.

Normally any problems have to be repaired before you buy & move in/take possession of home. The seller pays for repairs.
Yea, I had all that checked. The basement does leak after weeks of rain, but there is a french drain on this property. I'm sure it needs to be snaked. The roof, apparently, is in excellent condition and not that old (5-6 yrs). That's not the point, tho. I worry just the same. This kind of stuff didn't dawn on me until I bought my home. As mentioned, it's simply a huge responsibility, so that changes things/perspective. OTOH, I wouldn't change anything. I love my home. I just wouldn't point fingers or make negative judgements about someone that elected to forgo the responsibility.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,785 times
Home ownership is typically what people strive for as they get older. That was my goal to own a home by 30 because usually (minus this economy for the next 5 years) most wealth is obtained that way. It's a tax write off for you. It's also stepping up to the next level if you are planted where you are. Not having one makes others wonder about your stability or what might be preventing you from doing so (credit issues?)

Old 10-01-2009, 04:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
It's a tax write off IF your itemized deductions are higher than your standard deduction. I've known people who owned homes that did not exceed their standard deductions on mortgage interest and real estate taxes alone. Though it's pretty much a given that if you DON'T own a home, you won't exceed the standard deduction anyhow.

As far as "why"--lack of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships