Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Its well known women find a man well off in terms of money, a large attraction.

But IMO the point is lost on some women. My point is there are plenty of ways to get rich. Some through genuine hard work (which is how I have made my money). I know men who are rich because of inheritance and I'm sure many get rich through devious means. At the end of the day though sadly, someone in society well off financially in most cases reaps the rewards regardless of how they became that way.
First of all, I would not respect a woman whose opinion of someone was a function of his wealth. Second, I agree that you can't always tell if someone earned their wealth or obtained it through other means. This is why I can't stand it when conservatives rail against the estate tax (or the death tax as they like to call it). I'd rather be taxed on something I didn't earn like inheritance or capital gains than on my income. I have more respect for the person who earned his wealth than the person who had it given to him. But the gold diggers out there probably don't really care how a person got rich, just as long as he's rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

But IMO the point is lost on some women. My point is there are plenty of ways to get rich. Some through genuine hard work (which is how I have made my money). I know men who are rich because of inheritance and I'm sure many get rich through devious means. At the end of the day though sadly, someone in society well off financially in most cases reaps the rewards regardless of how they became that way.
And sometimes the golddiggers reap the rewards -- like they say a fool and his money.....

Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
My point is more of a consideration needs to be applied as to how someone made their money. On a case by case basis rather than a one size fits all.
You mean as in asking someone what they do for a living; the question women get labeled as gold diggers for?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:

By only going after the money, many women end up with problems.

• he goes to jail and she's now broke.
  • he skips out to some Central American country, takes his money and leaves her behind.
  • he's gunned down by his criminal accomplices and she's now broke.
  • he dies or divorces her and the courts don't recognize that he had much income, since he didn't report much on his tax return. Meanwhile the IRS moves in to seize what he has for back taxes.
I'm always amused by women tearfully telling their hard luck story, every time one of these criminals is exposed. Big Ponzi scheme locally and the ex figures she's owed $1 million! Get to the end of the line!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
By only going after the money, many women end up with problems.

• he goes to jail and she's now broke.
  • he skips out to some Central American country, takes his money and leaves her behind.
  • he's gunned down by his criminal accomplices and she's now broke.
  • he dies or divorces her and the courts don't recognize that he had much income, since he didn't report much on his tax return. Meanwhile the IRS moves in to seize what he has for back taxes.

How is it you know so much about this?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Well, there's a big difference between marrying a guy who is starting his neurosurgery residence and marrying a trust fund baby who knocks off every day from his hobby job at 2 p.m. to hit golf balls or meet a friend for drinks.

A smart woman will be able to tell the difference between the first guy and the second guy. Knowing my fair share of trust fund babies, I can tell you that, eventually, they blow their money. In our neighborhood, there are several of those families who have been living off the dividends of their bank stocks willed to them by doting parents. Three of those houses are in foreclosure.

My wife and I do well for ourselves. But even if I won the cotton-picking lottery, I would make my children work. For you cripple your children when you make their lives easy.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
All true but I'm not sure I get your point.

In many countries and societies people marry to preserve and accumulate wealth. The wealthy marry the wealthy. That's why they stay wealthy. Lot's of people are willing to forgo passion and accept comfort.
How incredibly boring that would be!!!! I could never do it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I can identify with what the OP is saying. It goes without saying that (all things equal) women will prefer a wealthy man over a middle-class man, and middle-class over poverty. I understand that aspect well enough.

However, one observation has always perplexed me - that is, when it comes to doling out respect, I've observed that men have an obvious preference for a fellow man who has earned his wealth. The guy who inherited it all, often bears the brunt of jokes and snide remarks, if not outright hostility.

However, when it comes to women and showing preferences for men, there seems to be little or no distinction between a man who earned his wealth, and a man who didn't. Beach houses and land rovers are just beach houses and land rovers, whether they're the result of character, hard work, perseverance, intelligence, and decision-making... or whether they're just the result of total luck.

So, in short, the claims that 'character/personality is what matters', does not really jibe with what I've seen in the real world. It's about the tangibles, not the intangibles.

Last edited by le roi; 09-28-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I don't know how people ignore the personallity that comes with how you get what you have. Like the trust fund babies..I dated some of those and my god..They seem to need to have their butt kicked. I found them very self serving and annoying to the point where money did not matter. Working well off are very intense and demanding. I really do not like that either. Rich people are all evil. Because if you look far enough into it, making money is just taking advantage of someone else in some form or another.

Like take for example if you had a business that required labor. Cost of labor in the u.s. at living wage vs. what you can get away with paying someone in china that is just accepted poverty. Bill Gates ripped off the original designer of the windows system for a very low cost. Starbucks shuts out local companies by lowering the prices of beverage and gets the traffic to shut down the local, then increases prices again. They also pay crap wages to the coffee farmers. Should I go over the DaBeers diamond family? Or oil wars?

Excessive money always brings some sort of evil to the table. You just have to look for it.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Wow. Is this jealousy or what. Earned (new money) is good, old money is bad? Then all money is evil? I've never known an inheriter of wealth who blew it all, don't think that is the norm. Self-mades can be really cheap and uptight, worried about losing it. No, inheritences should not be taxed, by the time it gets to that point the money which was earned at one point has often been triple taxed. That is just wrong.

Does anyone expect that a true gold digger would care how a guy got his money anyway? It's a gold$digger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships