Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

I think 30 is an ideal age range to get married. I was first married at 23, and that lasted about 5 years. In your twenties, you are still growing as a person, discovering and figuring things out. Often you have more questions than answers, and as you develop and mature emotionally and mentally, your priorities shift. Most of my family members are both sides married young (late teens/early twenties), and often it was out of an unexpected pregnancy or the desire to get out of the home and away from a strict parent. I think by 30, each person has a much more clear vision of the direction their life is headed and they stand a better chance of growing together as opposed to growing apart through many of life's trials during your twenties. Lot's of young couples in their early twenties are often not financial secure either, and that puts even further strain on the marriage. Compound that with kids at an early age and the odds are stacked against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I think if the culture promotes it, and the family members help the young couples get on there feet, then it's just fine!

Living in California for a while I had to get use to the the Mexican culture and I noticed that the young people got married and get into serious relationships at very young ages, however, many do just fine because they have a huge support from there family and community.

However as an American; especially a BLACK American living in a post modern society; there is no culture/community! So with that being said, you got to take more time out of your life to acquire BASIC resources to be able to support a family ALL ON YOUR OWN. So in other words, it's stupid to get married and have kids so young as an American.
I think you are correct in many ways. The way I remember families were structured in former USSR is that they all tried to live close by as a tied family (well, on most occasions), they supported each other in getting married and having children.
It's much harder here.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I think Russia is moving in the "marriage later" direction now, with Westernization and women being able to make good living, especially in bigger cities. Yes, I remember how "You are 23, and still not married?!?!" question hit you as if you missed the train. My sister is 33 and not married yet, living with our parents, and I am not sure if she suffers at all.

You know, I was wondering if Russia is becoming more like other Western countries in this respect, interesting point.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
When I went to school, there were a handful of Russian babes in the arts college next door. Truly "Miss Universe" types. For the record, everyone from Russia looks so, LMAO. I should have married one of those back in the day

I merely hung out with them and ran away. Stupid me.
Well...I'm not gonna dispute that.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Well......

Mom does not entertain them primarily for the reason that the moment they dig into family history, they go schizo and mom goes schizo and it's a huge stress generator. My father is an untouchable (you perhaps know what it means). I'm a cross breed and this is a pain point of prospective FIL's and MIL's. They always look for the thorough breed

The girls are extremely pretty. But.... before they reject me later on and I feel like crap, I always stay away from them, despite the fact that many stalk me around America. Coz just 0.01% of the men from my place are FIT and I'm one of them, lol.
Oh OK, remembering the class system escapes us here, I guess. Forget to think of classes (Indian or British or what ever else that may be). Lol about fit. Yes the Indian guys in my company were Gandhi-thin, mostly. While couldn't call them "fit", exactly, but the eye rested on them at least, as opposite to obesity.

So would you be opposed to marrying any other ethnicity? American, Russian, Irish?? Or the tradition is too tight to escape?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You know, I was wondering if Russia is becoming more like other Western countries in this respect, interesting point.
Have you seen Russia lately? (not that I travel there often). Moscow is THE most expensive city in the world. My city in boondoggles - hotels charge $325 a night. The cars are clogging the old streets. It's been booming and people can find jobs with better $$ and afford better lifestyle. Geez, my own family travels the world like they are millionaires.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Have you seen Russia lately? (not that I travel there often). Moscow is THE most expensive city in the world. My city in boondoggles - hotels charge $325 a night. The cars are clogging the old streets. It's been booming and people can find jobs with better $$ and afford better lifestyle. Geez, my own family travels the world like they are millionaires.
I know, they really progressed in the past 15 years. I haven't been there, actually to be more specific, I'm from Ukraine and it hasn't been growing in the same way as Russia. Just watching Russian Television Network and seeing what's going on kind of clues me in.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I agree with Cool68. There are so many life experiences to be gained in the 20s and so many changes that occur, I think it would be really hard to settle down and maintain the married lifestyle.

I don't personally believe in the institution of marriage, but if I did, I would wait. I see way too many young people getting married knowing that they can get an easy divorce if, oops, they made a hasty decision.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
I think it's a symptom of the ever increasing age span of adolescence in American culture. Americans grow up too slow. At the age of 25, every one should be mature enough to support a family. Currently, however, some Americans can't even be trusted to find a job without mommy and daddy's support at that age. It's nonsense to think that you can't handle basic adult responsibilities until your post-30 in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships