U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:03 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,576,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I like people for their heart, especially if it's the same size as mine and they're an organ donor
Haha Make sure to check the compatibility too
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM

596 posts, read 1,196,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Haha 30 years ago, maybe this still applied. I think it may have died off or is at least on it's last leg these days.
And this is probably why I am single (never married) and in my 30's

Old 10-04-2009, 11:32 AM

20,377 posts, read 18,252,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Dang, Gwynedd

I could hear the curled lip sneer and disgusted loathing in your voice (typing?) all the way over here. Now, Please, breath deeply, and think a good thought....yes, good thoughts, ...good thoughts, We don't want to burst any,,,, any.... veins....

{Phil realizes he is now object of Gwynedd's full and undivided attention and her focused stare. Phil quickly exits for health reasons, his own health}

{in the words of Bug Bunny:} *BYE*
Hi philwithbeard,

Actually I rarely post with malice. In this very thread I also lampooned the other exaggerated point of view. I do it with delight and equal opportunity . I especially like to tie myself to the post and make myself quite spectacle of ridicule. It is also interesting what the handle of the great Welsh ancient royal house of Gwynedd affords me. It is often confused with a woman's name and from it flows a mighty well of Rorschach ink.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,284,405 times
Gwynedd:

Sorry, Dude, I really thought your user-name was some computerizing name spelling of Guinevere, or in USA, Jenny. (Don't the Welsh pronounce the "Gu" letters the same as we (USA) pronounce the letter "J" ?) I didn't think of the Welsh connection at all. Again, sorry for the really flat joke.

Phil

Old 10-04-2009, 06:38 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,817,109 times
Quote:
Before I get the "you need to meet different women" shpeel, let me tell you I've met them in bars, churches, classrooms, book stores, etc. Everywhere you can imagine. And it all boils down to one thing...finding a man who will be able to shower them with material goodies.

Am I way off base here?
It's not the location, it's the type of woman you are drawn to, or the type you draw. There's always going to be a variety of people in any setting.

Personally, financial assets is low on my list. If he's financially responsible and independent, and is not a tight-wad, then that's good enough for me. I can buy my own things

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,765,006 times
Quote:
I know, I know. This sounds soooo stereotypical, but I'm pretty sure I have it pegged now. Most women I've met seem to have their brains wired to think that a man is not worthy unless he has significant purchasing power.
I'm a 23 year old male, just moved to Denver after college. Given the state of the economy, I'm not rollin' in a Beemer or sportin' $10k Rolexes. I don't dress in Armani and I don't eat out a lot. Yet, it seems that everytime I meet a girl, it's the same story. First, they put on a facade and act all genuine and unmaterialistic. They say things that make you think that they're down to earth and that they just want a man to treat them well. After a couple weeks, the truth starts to trickle out. They talk about how they want to find a man that can buy them a BMW, buy them a house, and take them across the world.

Before I get the "you need to meet different women" shpeel, let me tell you I've met them in bars, churches, classrooms, book stores, etc. Everywhere you can imagine. And it all boils down to one thing...finding a man who will be able to shower them with material goodies.

Am I way off base here?

No, not really. It's just human nature for a woman to find a rich/powerful man more desirable than a man who sweeps the streets. (*shrugs shoulders*)

Truth be told, even guys kiss the ### of rich guys, I have seen men be all nice and proper to a guy who is wealthy but then go and treat the waiter or bus boy like crap. Sfff, I hate guys like that (shakes head).

Regardless, I would not worry about it because (and I wish I had a graph) as a woman gets older, her power to get what she wants out of men will decrease, so in a way, females are in a race to maximize their opportunity's.

However, the older a man gets (this is you) the more power you will build up as you age, then girls will be chasing you. (lol) I'm in the streets from Cali to NYC and I never failed to see an old bloke in his C6 Vette riding alone; these old guys always have some good looking gal with them.

On a side note, one other aspect to take under consideration, is that, in the 21's century THERE IS more money going around, and more wealth/materialism in our faces compared to the 20th or previous century's. We are living in exciting times because of this, simply because a young 20 year old stud out of HS can sign a deal with a record/apparel company and make 20 mil; just like that! Ha, a lot of women are trying to get a piece of that; and I don't blame them. Sff, who WANTS to work behind a register or answer phones for 40+ years of their life.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM

61,281 posts, read 83,458,217 times
not so, they want him to be good looking young and compliant too.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM

554 posts, read 995,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Only took you 23 yrs. come to the conclusion that every female in existance was born, lives and dies with no other concerned or goal than to get a mans money? The one with the most suff wins.

I know girls who told me that them and their friends place VERY heavy importance on the cost of an engagement ring. If a guy spends whatever they consider to be 'low' on the ring, it's the end of the world. These girls straight out told me that it's so they can show off to each other and one-up each other on who has the most expensive ring. This is real, no exaggeration.

With that said, of the guys I know who are in the situation of having a serious gf and taking the next step - they are spending $5,000+ on the ring. These guys make around 13-$18/hr. How f'd up is that? Poor guys....

If I had the place a bet on my own situation, I'd bet I never get married. It's because of more than just these reasons, though. Love is an emotion, and emotions change. I think I rather not combine finances(and my own personal energy) with something that is likely to end.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,765,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I know girls who told me that them and their friends place VERY heavy importance on the cost of an engagement ring. If a guy spends whatever they consider to be 'low' on the ring, it's the end of the world. These girls straight out told me that it's so they can show off to each other and one-up each other on who has the most expensive ring. This is real, no exaggeration.

With that said, of the guys I know who are in the situation of having a serious gf and taking the next step - they are spending $5,000+ on the ring. These guys make around 13-$18/hr. How f'd up is that? Poor guys....

You can thank the corrupt diamond industry for promoting the belief that a woman needs a "expensive" engagement ring (the price is artificially inflated) to make her feel good about herself and choice of man.

Sff, there was a time when the grandma or the mom would give their daughter there own wedding band and dress so she could get married.
I would LOVE to be apart of that type of tradition were family heirlooms were passed down and I was apart of it.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 PM

9,859 posts, read 11,266,283 times
Three (short stories). A much younger former co-worker was getting engaged. I advised her to go easy on her sweetie like one of my ex's did on me. She actually suggested getting cubic zirconia in her ring. It made a $5K ring cost $500 and made just as nice a show. The co-worker said, no, she wanted as much ring as he could afford and that her guy wouldn't want things any other way. Don't know how that worked out.

Another ex-co-worker. Married one year. Been in court all that time with major department store. $10K ring appraised for only $5K. Don't know if the legal stresses did it or irreconcileable differences but that marriage is no more.

Last story. 60 Minutes did a piece on George Lucas (Star Wars). By his own admission he is a piece of work who has a great deal of difficulty with personal relationships and in fact was recently divorced with custody of his children. The following week the producers admitted they were overwhelmed with the volume of mail from female viewers who wanted contact information for Mr. Lucas.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships