Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times

Advertisements

I have a thought on this;
Women always say that confidence is a turn-on.
Whenever I am in a relationship I feel better about myself, more confident, more self-esteem because somebody wants to be with me.
Hence a man that is taken may be projecting a confidence that is in turn attractive to other women.
Perhaps subconsciously women learn that "taken" men are more confident so that when told a man is taken, he automatically becomes more attractive.
Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
There's an area of economics that talks about people assign value to things. One of the ways we determine how valuable something is based on how much others want or don't want it. You see this at work in the stock market. So many people buy stocks, not because they really understand the company whose stocks are being sold, but because others are buying that shares of it. In their minds, they're thinking "if everyone else is buying, they must know something I don't." Likewise, if no one is buying something, then that sends a signal it must not be worth much. So it's no surprise that the same behavior is seen in personal relationships. If a person is taken, it automatically increases his or her value. The person who's single is treated like leftovers. People see him or her and wonder why no one's snatched them up already.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
my wife is CERTAIN that my best friends girlfriend wants in my pants.. although i dont understand why, i mean, im not a troll, but my best friend and i look like brothers, other than he is clean shaven with no ink and i have a goatee and a couple tattoos...

i guess anything is possible though, right?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
I think it's true, I have a couple of friends who has gone from having one girlfriend to the next(never been single for more than a week straight since we were about 13 as far as I know) , almost always; the new women are women who have been in the surroundings of the last girlfriend...

Another friend has as far as i know never had a girlfriend, and when I'm with both of them at the same time it becomes appearent that whenever any other the first mensioned friends are anywhere near my second mensioned friend women litterally don't look twice at my second friend if they brought their girlfriends while it's more random but still clearly to their advantage when they don't...
I'm unfortunatly alot like my second friend when it comes to women... so I don't know if i'm objective...

I just see this all the time, I can't help but to compare people who are in obvious "luck" with women (or call it socially skilled or whatever) with people who are not (including myself...)
And having a woman on your arm seems to be THE best way of getting more...(next to being famous/ known to have deep pockets)

I think it's kinda wierd thing though, I mean can't women judge a guys worth themselves?
Guys can spot an attractive lady wether she has 150 guys drewling around her or is alone in the desert or among 150 other chicks on a beach...

You're not alone on that. Its been my experience that when a group of friends go out to eat, a waitress will be more chatty and smiling with the guys who are there with their SO's while those who are there by themselves only get a "what will you have".

Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
my wife is CERTAIN that my best friends girlfriend wants in my pants.. although i dont understand why, i mean, im not a troll, but my best friend and i look like brothers, other than he is clean shaven with no ink and i have a goatee and a couple tattoos...

i guess anything is possible though, right?
Next time she brings it up tell your wife that you truly believe she just wants a pair of your pants and you'll be willing to give her a pair, her choice of color.

Maybe, but perhaps she just sees you as a friend who she gets along with and your wife may be interpreting it as she wants you.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
So it's no surprise that the same behavior is seen in personal relationships. If a person is taken, it automatically increases his or her value. The person who's single is treated like leftovers. People see him or her and wonder why no one's snatched them up already.
I have to disagree. Sounds like something single people say when they can't get a date. Blame it on what they think is everyone else's preconceived notions of single people. That it can't possibly be something about that individual that is driving down people's interest, it has to be the fact that they've been single for so long. I don't think being taken causes your "stock" to go up. Not amongst people you'd want to have a relationship with anyway. How many guys have you seen who've taken their rings off when out at parties or clubs? They don't want women to know they're married because they know that they won't have anything to do with them. To these guys, the ring is more like an albatross than a lure. Like Max's Mom said, some guy's are attracted to married women because they know there's no commitment involved and they just want them for sex on the side. When a woman is looking for a boyfriend or husband, she's not more attracted to men who are already taken just because they are taken. Yes, there are a few like that, but that's not the majority.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There's an area of economics that talks about people assign value to things. One of the ways we determine how valuable something is based on how much others want or don't want it. You see this at work in the stock market. So many people buy stocks, not because they really understand the company whose stocks are being sold, but because others are buying that shares of it. In their minds, they're thinking "if everyone else is buying, they must know something I don't." Likewise, if no one is buying something, then that sends a signal it must not be worth much. So it's no surprise that the same behavior is seen in personal relationships. If a person is taken, it automatically increases his or her value. The person who's single is treated like leftovers. People see him or her and wonder why no one's snatched them up already.
This is a good point. I have noticed at the grocery store checkout and elsewhere that people often choose the longer line to stand in and wait. While this defies common sense the only logic I can come up with is they must think, "Gee more people are already in line at checkout #2 than #1. They must know something that I don't. Maybe that cashier is better. I'll go join them!" The more people that are at checkout #2 the more valuable it is deemed. Weird.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I have to disagree. Sounds like something single people say when they can't get a date. Blame it on what they think is everyone else's preconceived notions of single people. That it can't possibly be something about that individual that is driving down people's interest, it has to be the fact that they've been single for so long. I don't think being taken causes your "stock" to go up. Not amongst people you'd want to have a relationship with anyway. How many guys have you seen who've taken their rings off when out at parties or clubs? They don't want women to know they're married because they know that they won't have anything to do with them. To these guys, the ring is more like an albatross than a lure. Like Max's Mom said, some guy's are attracted to married women because they know there's no commitment involved and they just want them for sex on the side. When a woman is looking for a boyfriend or husband, she's not more attracted to men who are already taken just because they are taken. Yes, there are a few like that, but that's not the majority.
There's a huge bias towards single people in our society. Think about the saying "all the good ones are taken." If you're over 30 and single, you'll be frequently asked why you're not married. The implication is that something is wrong with you if you're not married by a certain age. True, there are many people out there who are single, not because people think they have less value, but because there's actually something wrong with them. But it's also true that, as a society, we're often to quick to come up with reasons for why someone might be single.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Yep. We want what other people have, especially their men and their money.

May God forgive us all.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Yep. We want what other people have, especially their men and their money.

May God forgive us all.

Well you can't have my brand new shiny quarter that has Washington D.C. stamped on the back of it. Won't give it up, no way, no how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships