Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

Gary Chapman's Five Love Languages: Learn the Languages

Receiving Gifts
Presents and physical tokens of affection move you. It's the fact that someone is thinking about you enough to give you something that moves you. The objects are of secondary importance to the relationship and sentiment with which they were intended.

Quality Time
This can be expressed either through those intimate tête-à-tête discussions or via doing things together.

Acts of Service
You prefer to show your love through favors and chores and doing things for others. You feel put-upon and unappreciated when your efforts are taken for granted.

Physical Touch
You want to give and/or receive affection physically. This may or may not center on sex.

Words of Affirmation
You need to hear praise to know you are loved, and you may also prefer to express your affection verbally. Negative comments cut right to the bone. You want to hear that you're loved and how much and why.

The above descriptions are not my own, they come from THIS site: Five Love Languages Descriptions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM

For me, it would be acts of service. That is how I best "communicate". I respond most when people do things for me, and I do things for them to show my love for them.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
#4, #2 and #5. In that particular order.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quality time, words, and touch are tops, then service, and lastly, gifts.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Physical Touch is big for me and I discovered after the last guy I dated would not hold my hand when we walked together.

Quality Time and Acts of Service follow.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,028,639 times
When it comes to parents and family, I'm #1 and #5

To guys I'm involved with romantically, all of them!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Order: 3, 4, 2, 1, and lastly, 5

Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Is it conceivable though, that some people may communicate exclusively in only one of these languages?

If any, quality time and gifts would follow, but I consider gifts to partly fall under acts of service. "Because I know how much you like this, I wanted to tell you what I saw today (and maybe, "...I just had to pick it up!")

My room mate loves cryptograms--I like them okay, but I like more of a variety of puzzles. I happened to see a book of them while out getting my Edy's fruit bars. Had I not forgotten my bank card, I might have gotten it for her anyhow. It's a little thing, but it's something I know she would enjoy temporarily.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Is it conceivable though, that some people may communicate exclusively in only one of these languages?

If any, quality time and gifts would follow, but I consider gifts to partly fall under acts of service. "Because I know how much you like this, I wanted to tell you what I saw today (and maybe, "...I just had to pick it up!")

My room mate loves cryptograms--I like them okay, but I like more of a variety of puzzles. I happened to see a book of them while out getting my Edy's fruit bars. Had I not forgotten my bank card, I might have gotten it for her anyhow. It's a little thing, but it's something I know she would enjoy temporarily.
Maybe, but I don't think any one person can fall into only category. They may show less ratings on the other particular 4, but unless they have some emotional issue, I don't think I can see a normal person only communicating in just one of these languages.

For your example: Your gift would be "Service", followed by "Quality Time" if you handed it directly to her as you would be spending time with her and creating a memory.

You can communicate in one language at a point in time though (Your example, but just dropping it off in her mailbox instead), but not throughout your entire life.

The reason is because humans crave love. It is a drug and once you had a taste of it, you are forever hooked

Old 10-04-2009, 10:33 PM

182 posts, read 647,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Maybe, but I think that it would not be a good thing in building relationships. Most people need a combination of those, and if you were with someone that only did one thing (For instance, gave gifts) but never spent time with you, touched you, do things with you, told you they loved you, it probably would feel rather incomplete. I personally would hate it if someone told me they loved me and then had no actions to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships