U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

18,266 posts, read 17,645,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Uh-huh, nice point. How do we change the "old=bad" opinion, though?
Exactly. We do it through showing that looking like this isn't an automatic 50th birthday present.
Attached Thumbnails
"Miss 50 year old" Contest in Las Vegas-0807091228.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM

21,277 posts, read 19,330,844 times
I think images of people in their 50s and 60s are definitely changing. Irene Ryan was 60 when she began playing Granny Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies, with her little spectacles and her white hair scraped into a bun, knitting in her rocking chair. Compare her to Sophia Loren, who is in her 70s and still a fox.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM

21,277 posts, read 19,330,844 times
A better comparison than Irene Ryan and Sophia Loren is Irene Ryan and Sigourney Weaver, who is turning 60 in a couple of days. There's a big difference in Irene Ryan's 60 and Sigourney Weaver's 60!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A better comparison than Irene Ryan and Sophia Loren is Irene Ryan and Sigourney Weaver, who is turning 60 in a couple of days. There's a big difference in Irene Ryan's 60 and Sigourney Weaver's 60!
No kidding. I just saw Sigourney on the Emmys, and WOW does she look great.

http://www.newsgab.com/forum/attachm...5&d=1253549454

Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,895,101 times
It isn't about pretending you aren't past 50, and just because a woman takes care of herself doesn't make her a ****. That's the kind of mindset that destroys much of the motivation of people of both genders to stay in shape.

Running a gym, and having been involved in martial arts for almost 40 years now, I'm particularly sensitive to people that make comments like this. Much of the time it's envy - if you can't make the effort to get in shape, you tear down those that do.

Then there are those who equate being in shape with being narcissists, concerned only with how they look. There's a lot more to being in shape than just how you look - it's how you feel, how you think, how you live your life.

Then there's the crowd that blames their genetics. Let me tell you something - genetics plays about a 1% role in whether you're in good shape or not. Anything else is whining and excuse-finding.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM

5,259 posts, read 5,146,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
It isn't about pretending you aren't past 50, and just because a woman takes care of herself doesn't make her a ****. That's the kind of mindset that destroys much of the motivation of people of both genders to stay in shape.

Running a gym, and having been involved in martial arts for almost 40 years now, I'm particularly sensitive to people that make comments like this. Much of the time it's envy - if you can't make the effort to get in shape, you tear down those that do.

Then there are those who equate being in shape with being narcissists, concerned only with how they look. There's a lot more to being in shape than just how you look - it's how you feel, how you think, how you live your life.

Then there's the crowd that blames their genetics. Let me tell you something - genetics plays about a 1% role in whether you're in good shape or not. Anything else is whining and excuse-finding.
I agree 100%. I wish people would stop with their preconceived notions of how a 50 year old woman should look. This isn't 1950. I sure as hell don't want to be fat, gray, and overly-wrinkled at 50 if I can do something about it now by working out and eating well. I also don't want to be the stereotypical 'knitter' or 'quilter' (not that there's anything wrong with those activities, but it seems that they are so closely associated with 50-somethings).

Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM

3,078 posts, read 2,169,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

Apples and oranges, or at least different kinds of apples. This was not a fitness competition. It was a beauty contest emphasizing the current media version of hotness and it fit in just fine in Vegas. It was only "slutty" because of that stereotypical level of campiness. See their suits and implants? I don't know how you got those wires crossed. Most people I know who are serious about health and fitness do not believe in implanting silicone and do athletic things rather than trying to look like a reality tv star.

I think genetics accounts for well more than 1% of how your body looks. You cannot change your basic shape, just work with what you have. Still, most women don't have the time or desire to obsess over their appearance after a certain age, so they don't have to make excuses.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM

11,425 posts, read 11,379,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I agree 100%. I wish people would stop with their preconceived notions of how a 50 year old woman should look. This isn't 1950. I sure as hell don't want to be fat, gray, and overly-wrinkled at 50 if I can do something about it now by working out and eating well. I also don't want to be the stereotypical 'knitter' or 'quilter' (not that there's anything wrong with those activities, but it seems that they are so closely associated with 50-somethings).
I agree, but I dont want society thinking this is the standard for the average 50 yr. old woman either. We are just now making headway in debunking that the 18 yr. old size 0 super model is representitive of the average 30 yr. old.

There is a huge difference between being an in shape and active 50 yr. old and the women in this contest. They are beautiful and I admire them for looking like 20 yr. olds, but the photos scream of a life devoted to plastic surgery. There is no amount of weight lifting, jazzercise, yoga, etc. that is going to perk those boobs and butt up like that, and make those wrinkles and stretch marks dissappear.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,022,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Wow! I can only hope I look that good when I'm 50! That is awesome!
Did you read the comments. This is a hoax.

Incidentally, some women, with a $hit load of plastic surgery can look a lot younger but their wrists usually give them away. Very wrinkly. A doctor friend pointed this out once and I've seen a lot of it since. However, none looked like that in a bikini.

Pure BS. Women have enough issues without having this slung their way!

Then again, its their choice to marry for money.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You cannot change your basic shape, just work with what you have. Still, most women don't have the time or desire to obsess over their appearance after a certain age, so they don't have to make excuses.
Wow do I disagree with that. If someone is very overweight, becoming FIT absolutely WILL change their basic shape. And I, for one, was never talking about anyone "obsessing over their appearance". For me, it's all about this one body that I have, and I intend to make it last as long as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships