U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM

826 posts, read 842,949 times
Default Why do people realize what they had when its gone or too late?

Going out on a limb because I never like to be the one starting a thread, but I couldn't resist here. Just one of those kind of days that I am having.

Men & Women: Why do you (not you personally) not realize what you had until you lost it?

Curious to see what you all think and hoping for candid answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,792,121 times
sometimes you know what you've got, and you just can't keep it.

i'm not sure which is worse !

Old 10-06-2009, 05:31 PM

19,396 posts, read 16,110,640 times
I dont miss what 'might' have been from 15 years ago because if it was meant to be, it would have been. He was a good guy and the only one my kids all really liked (one that I actually got seriously involved with), but I just didnt feel like I would have been good enough for him. Sure, in one way, we all still talk about him, but its been 15 years. We all move on.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,393,457 times
Because as the old saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM

7,482 posts, read 8,005,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Men & Women: Why do you (not you personally) not realize what you had until you lost it?
Because when you have it, it's easy to take it for granted. It's only after it's gone that you come to appreciate what it was you had.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM

55 posts, read 111,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Because as the old saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20.
So true! I always kick myself when I think about 3 1/2 years ago when I broke up with my first true love. I felt like I was "missing out" since he was the only boyfriend I'd ever really had and I wanted to experience more life before committing for the long haul (our relationship was definitely serious). In a way I'm glad I've had the dating experiences that I have the past 3+ years, but at the same time, sometimes I also look back and think "Man I really miss him..." He was by far one of the greatest guys I've ever met and probably ever will meet.

But you live and you learn and you move on.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 10,565,611 times
I think a lot of people get to preoccupied with what they don't have, rather than be thankful for what they do have. They obsess over chasing material possessions, promotions, or envying what other people have. Never realizing that they are blessed with what they have if they'd only take notice. It's not until it's gone that they fnally notice.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
sometimes you know what you've got, and you just can't keep it.
Exactly!!!! I have had this problem so much so that I had to make an adjustment in my thinking.

I truly believe that LIFE ITSELF is intelligent and some how it's trying to teach you to live in a "sweet spot." Taking something for granted is just as bad as obsessively hoarding over something.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:01 PM

32,496 posts, read 18,031,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachforthestars View Post
So true! I always kick myself when I think about 3 1/2 years ago when I broke up with my first true love. I felt like I was "missing out" since he was the only boyfriend I'd ever really had and I wanted to experience more life before committing for the long haul (our relationship was definitely serious). In a way I'm glad I've had the dating experiences that I have the past 3+ years, but at the same time, sometimes I also look back and think "Man I really miss him..." He was by far one of the greatest guys I've ever met and probably ever will meet.

But you live and you learn and you move on.
Yeah no kidding...I think "YOU and ME baby are nothing but Mammals We want and Love and look back..Yet yes we want better."

Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 PM

7,482 posts, read 8,005,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think a lot of people get to preoccupied with what they don't have, rather than be thankful for what they do have. They obsess over chasing material possessions, promotions, or envying what other people have. Never realizing that they are blessed with what they have if they'd only take notice. It's not until it's gone that they fnally notice.
A lot of people become convinced they can do better or that they deserve better. Part of the problem is our society is always sending the message that you deserve the very best and should never have to settle. So people look at the person they're with and become convinced that they've settled. It's only afterward that they realize they didn't settle and what they was the perfect person out there waiting for them was in truth just a fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships