Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I don't and can't accept your understading of marriage. It's about love and more love, not material wealth.
First, I never said anything about material wealth. Once you have gone thu a divorce, you might understand why people view marriage as a legal partnership.
We are lead to believe marriage is all about the love but in reality, marriage is a civil union =legal contract.
You can set up house and build a life together on love without signing a legal document, without diamond rings, fluffy white dresses or losing your identity. If marriage was nothing but love and more love people wouldnt be so hung up on who takes whose name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:31 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Men- How would you feel if your wife to be didn't want to take your last name, or wanted to hyphenate it with hers?

Women- why would you not take his last name, or hypenate yours?

I had a discussion with some guys here at work yesterday, and they told me that if you meet a girl who had issues with taking your last name, RUN.

What do you think about it?
Any stories to share?
I would have no problem with whatever name she chooses. It is totally her choice. My wife actually has her ex-husband's last name. She has had that name more than half her life and it is how everyone knows her.

I always thought this was a senseless and demeaning tradition. Yeah if there are kids it makes it easier to have one last name in common but why does it specifically have to be his name? Besides more couples are remaining childless now so it is less of an issue.

And I don't think whether the woman is a professional or not should matter. Even if she scrubs toilets for a living she still has an identity, a sense of self and pride in who she is as a person.

I feel any man that would make an issue of this is insecure, petty, and chauvanistic. If he would be that inflexible and oppresive on something so relatively trivial how reasonable and respectful would he be on the important decisions concerning the marriage/family?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
I am a woman and getting married next summer. I will take my fiance's last name, mainly because his is a lot shorter and easier to pronounce and I have no huge emotional attachment to mine. (It is always mispronounced) I am excited to change my name. With that said, I don't think a man should be upset if the woman wanted to keep her name, especially for work reasons or if she was the last person in the family to carry on the name, etc. I have friends with the man's last name, hypenated versions, and keeping the maiden name. It all works for me.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:41 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
With kids it's an issue of making them go thru school with a PITA name to spell and I think a boy with a hyphenated just screams WIMP. Illogical yes but its how I feel.
I'll bet a lot of men and boys in the UK would take issue with you on this.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I would have no problem with whatever name she chooses. It is totally her choice. My wife actually has her ex-husband's last name. She has had that name more than half her life and it is how everyone knows her.

I always thought this was a senseless and demeaning tradition. Yeah if there are kids it makes it easier to have one last name in common but why does it specifically have to be his name? Besides more couples are remaining childless now so it is less of an issue.

And I don't think whether the woman is a professional or not should matter. Even if she scrubs toilets for a living she still has an identity, a sense of self and pride in who she is as a person.

I feel any man that would make an issue of this is insecure, petty, and chauvanistic. If he would be that inflexible and oppresive on something so relatively trivial how reasonable and respectful would he be on the important decisions concerning the marriage/family?
Well stated, and refreshing for this thread.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
AKA "Everybody Loves Raymond"
The situation in this show must be officially pronounced legal grounds for divorce!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'd guess you haven't read the whole thread.
Okay, I read the thread. I understand.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post

A real man shows up

Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Men- How would you feel if your wife to be didn't want to take your last name, or wanted to hyphenate it with hers?

Women- why would you not take his last name, or hypenate yours?

I had a discussion with some guys here at work yesterday, and they told me that if you meet a girl who had issues with taking your last name, RUN.

What do you think about it?
Any stories to share?
This is one of those "new liberated women" threads that usually digress into name calling. Liberated women cannot deal with the concept that there are females out there with other points of view. And so they get pretty hostile about it.

As for me, I consider it the highest honor possible to take my husband's name in marriage when I become his wife. To me it is the sign of the ultimate commitment that marriage typifies and demonstrates that I take my vows very seriously indeed.

"Professional" women will whine that they MUST keep their maiden name because they have made a reputation with it and that is what their clients know them by. That is certainly not true. Unless of course, you have the stupidest clients in the world. Women have been getting married for a couple of thousand years and changing their name. It's not something new and generally people will understand and accept that this has happened. Mind you, these are the same women who gladly ditch these same "valued clients" for weeks or months when they take their precious maternity leave. Like so much of their rhetoric, they only use the arguements that suit them at the time.

Anyway, to answer your question. I agree with your friend that if you want a woman who will put her husband and her marriage and her family above everything else, priority-wise, that you definitely should RUN if a woman will not take her husband's name. Like I said, it is an honor and should be treated as such.

20ysinBranson

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm guessing the guys you were talking to are not white collar professionals, right?

In the white collar world most men would understand that some women have a vested interest in keeping their own last names if they have already established themselves professionally. Not every female doctor or lawyer WOULD keep her name, but many would not want to give it up if they thought doing so affected their name recognition in their career/field.

Ideally, I think it's nice when couples share a last name once kids come along (just makes it easier on kids and gives the family a sense of identity), but plenty of professional woman wouldn't agree with me I'm sure
When I see birth announcements in the paper I just figure if the woman doesn't have the man's last name they aren't married and the kid is illigetimate. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships