U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 3,881,373 times

Advertisements

Hi Ladies:

Back in June '09 there were two long threads about on-line dating profiles
Gentlemen and online dating - a little advice for you.
and
Ladies and online dating - a little advice for you.

Since those two threads got hijacked several times, I wanted to ask a bit more specific question(s). Specifically, questions about the profile photo of a guy that you women would view. (Aside: We ALL know about guys viewing a lady's photo so give it a rest guys.)

I am going to make a presumption here: many ladies are very visual observers and notice (are aware?) of things that most guys wouldn't have a clue about.

1 - Do you ladies notice if the shirt he has on is new (less than 5 washings) or a comfortable shirt he has worn several seasons? (Again, not if you like the shirt, just do you notice the newness, I think they call it 'sizing', of the shirt.)

2 - What about a guy wearing a Tie? Good Idea? And would your notice if the tie was out of fashion, or an expensive silk tie (by the knot of course!), or if the tie knot was a double-Windsor, or basic American Gothic single handed knot?

3 - Do you notice if he has had a haircut too recently, or is in need of a haircut?

4 - Photoshop the guy's hair to make minor color corrections OK or is ALL Photoshop alterations a complete No-No (AKA: a slippery-slope without end?)

5 - Can a tight close up photo pose look, well..., too "posed" or should all photo's of a guy be what it called natural 'pose'.

6 - In the aforementioned threads, there seemed to be a lot women who objected to guy posing with their adult toys in the background (cars, boats, golf carts, etc.) but then, what should the background be? Blank wall indoors, back yard trees, neighbor's house (or lack of neighbor's house.) or maybe just a dark blanket draped over a closet door?

In short, not what a guy's photo SHOULD NOT DO, but what points in the photo that a generic guy should do to make the photo more eye catching to you as a woman. Please, keep it positive.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 01:45 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,031,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Hi Ladies:

Back in June '09 there were two long threads about on-line dating profiles
Gentlemen and online dating - a little advice for you.
and
Ladies and online dating - a little advice for you.

Since those two threads got hijacked several times, I wanted to ask a bit more specific question(s). Specifically, questions about the profile photo of a guy that you women would view. (Aside: We ALL know about guys viewing a lady's photo so give it a rest guys.)

I am going to make a presumption here: many ladies are very visual observers and notice (are aware?) of things that most guys wouldn't have a clue about.

1 - Do you ladies notice if the shirt he has on is new (less than 5 washings) or a comfortable shirt he has worn several seasons? (Again, not if you like the shirt, just do you notice the newness, I think they call it 'sizing', of the shirt.)

2 - What about a guy wearing a Tie? Good Idea? And would your notice if the tie was out of fashion, or an expensive silk tie (by the knot of course!), or if the tie knot was a double-Windsor, or basic American Gothic single handed knot?

3 - Do you notice if he has had a haircut too recently, or is in need of a haircut?

4 - Photoshop the guy's hair to make minor color corrections OK or is ALL Photoshop alterations a complete No-No (AKA: a slippery-slope without end?)

5 - Can a tight close up photo pose look, well..., too "posed" or should all photo's of a guy be what it called natural 'pose'.

6 - In the aforementioned threads, there seemed to be a lot women who objected to guy posing with their adult toys in the background (cars, boats, golf carts, etc.) but then, what should the background be? Blank wall indoors, back yard trees, neighbor's house (or lack of neighbor's house.) or maybe just a dark blanket draped over a closet door?

In short, not what a guy's photo SHOULD NOT DO, but what points in the photo that a generic guy should do to make the photo more eye catching to you as a woman. Please, keep it positive.

Phil

Hi philwithbeard,

I know you are asking women but I will give you some general advice that applies both ways. Dress for what YOU want. If you like a woman who dresses up, then dressing casual is probably not a good idea. If you do both then show both. There is no one look all women prefer.
Just like politicians, keep it simple. The less you reveal the more active their imaginations. The more you reveal, the more likely some detail will take on an over inflated importance. Its more likely to be used to eliminate you for consideration. It is much easier to introduce the details in the proper context later. Again, the "back ground" is called a back ground for a reason. It should be something that does not catch the eye in particular. I would suggest high quality photographs. Even consider a professional photographer.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,338,692 times
Dress like yourself and take a picture that looks like you. DO NOT PHOTOSHOP.

Don't be fake about yourself because then its just a disappointment when the flesh you shows up.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,767,326 times

I don't notice how new the shirt is. I would, however, notice if it was an old ripped t-shirt with a photo of a half naked woman advertising beer on it.

A tie would be a good idea. I wouldn't notice the type of knot.

I would definitely notice if he was in need of a haircut, but then again, I prefer guys with short, military haircuts, so anything long would be a turnoff to me

Do not PhotoShop anything. Period! Unless it's a professional photo where the studio made minor corrections, I wouldn't change anything. After all, if you expect to meet someone in person, you want to look like your photos.

Unless it's a studio done photo, they should be more casual and natural.

I don't mind the car/boat shots, but you have to be careful to not come across like you think you're God's gift to women because you own a Ferrari. I wouldn't do the blanket draped over a closet door, maybe a shot of you in front of your house, next to the trees/bushes. Do you have any pictures of yourself on a recent vacation, or something like that?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 PM

856 posts, read 1,888,660 times

No unless it's something really weird or the shirt looks dirty.

if you are the type to go places and would wear a tie when appropriate then I think it's fine. But if you are the type that wears a tie maybe twice a year don't bother.

not really, I would have your hair cut however you normally have it.

no photoshop!

you shouldn't look like you went to Sear's Portrait Studio...

I agree with the above something that isn't distracting.

Mainly I want to see one headshot with GOOD lighting, you not wearing sunnies or a hat.
Then I want to see one full body shot with clothes that fit. Plus the use a decent camera. I all too often see pictures that look like they were taken with a disposable camera in a poorly lit room.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,162,700 times
Dress in your own style. But be clean and tidy - well groomed. Dress as you would for work - if you wear a tie at work - wear a tie in the photo.
The photo is to give an idea of what you look like. Your main photo should be a close up of your face. Other photos could be you dressed, casual, biz, etc.

Yes, stay away from the toy collections - they want to get to know you, not your garage!
Best wishes.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,416,956 times
1 - Do you ladies notice if the shirt he has on is new (less than 5 washings) or a comfortable shirt he has worn several seasons? (Again, not if you like the shirt, just do you notice the newness, I think they call it 'sizing', of the shirt.) I personally do not unless it's something really skanky, but many women might, esp if they're trying to determine a man's income level. I think the quality of a man's clothes might be more important on a date, in which case it would be best to dress appropriately for where you're going. I've heard that it is more important that men wear designer labels than it is for women to, but I do not look at that stuff.

2 - What about a guy wearing a Tie? Good Idea? And would your notice if the tie was out of fashion, or an expensive silk tie (by the knot of course!), or if the tie knot was a double-Windsor, or basic American Gothic single handed knot? Only a good idea if that's how you usually dress. If it was too fussy, it would be a turnoff to me, but depends on what kind of woman you want to attract.

3 - Do you notice if he has had a haircut too recently, or is in need of a haircut? Yes, but no such thing as too recently. I don't mind long hair, even like it, but it needs to be neat. Beard, same--I like them, but I like them neatly trimmed.

4 - Photoshop the guy's hair to make minor color corrections OK or is ALL Photoshop alterations a complete No-No (AKA: a slippery-slope without end?) Best not to do it.

5 - Can a tight close up photo pose look, well..., too "posed" or should all photo's of a guy be what it called natural 'pose'. I think you should have at least one of those so I can see what you look like. The ones that are too far away so that I can't see the expression in your eyes are what would keep me from responding.

6 - In the aforementioned threads, there seemed to be a lot women who objected to guy posing with their adult toys in the background (cars, boats, golf carts, etc.) but then, what should the background be? Blank wall indoors, back yard trees, neighbor's house (or lack of neighbor's house.) or maybe just a dark blanket draped over a closet door? I am turned off by poses with the "toys" but I've heard this and I think it's true: you should have a photo of yourself doing something interesting. I saw one that interested me once: it was a guy with a chainsaw in his hand doing yardwork maybe, but he was in such a strange pose that it caught my attn. He was taken, alas, but it proves that the weird poses get attn. Maybe a pic of yourself in an exotic place if you travel, or at a ball game if that's your favorite thing to do--you want them to picture themself in that place with you. In a hot air balloon or jumping out of a plane? Proves you like adventure--that would totally attract me, lol. Just make sure that they can tell it's you.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
I think you should post a pic like this...hahaha j/k

Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Something like this Would show personality that you can be humorous. lol

Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM

This one is nice shows that the person is an outdoors type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or