Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times

Advertisements

Okay...this is sort of hard to explain, that's why I came here for some help...

I've known this girl for a little while now, and I'm really interested her and I sort of feel an interest in return. Here's the question, I'm having a hard time determining whether she sees me as a friend or as someone she's really interested in. From my POV, we are in the "getting to know each other" phase, however I don't know what her POV of our relationship is. Like, I don't know rather or not she's serious. Does this make any sense? I guess what I'm asking is, how can I ask her how she views our relationship. I don't want to ask her if she's my girlfriend, because I don't want her to feel rushed, but I don't want to ask her if she's a just a friend because I don't want to make her feel like there's nothing between us. So I guess my final question is, how can I ask her what her point of view is on our relationship without offending her in any way? Thanks in advance for your help and support!!! -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Ask her..."Are you interested in going out with me?" or "Would you like to be more than friends?" Something along these lines.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Seriously, I would come right out and ask, "So, what are we?" If she asks what yo u mean simply ask "What kind of relationship do we have because I am interested in you" or something to that effect. Otherwise you're just torturing yourself.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:13 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
Basic agreement with the above posts.
If you don't know, ask!
Tell her that you like her and enjoy spending time with her. Ask her where she sees the relationship going & where she would like it to go?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
You need to be clear and direct. Something along the lines of "I'm interested in being more than friends." Don't make any kind of intense confession. If it's kept light, and she's not interested, then it will be easier to salvage a friendship (if that's what you want), or at least not burn a bridge.

Get it out there though, or else she'll probably assume you are just friends, and it will only get harder in time.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Send her this video:

YouTube - Saturday Night Live - Dick In A Box

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
You have two options.

Option one is come right out and ask her, but remember if you're confused about the status of the relationship she might be too.

Option two is keep spending time with her and it will become obvious. This is the option I prefer because it gives both of you time to get to know each other and decide what you want. Best wishes.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I might just be an oddity, but I don't like it when a guy asks me point blank what we are. I prefer to just let things unfold naturally. If it's going to happen, it will.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Okay...this is sort of hard to explain, that's why I came here for some help...

I've known this girl for a little while now, and I'm really interested her and I sort of feel an interest in return. Here's the question, I'm having a hard time determining whether she sees me as a friend or as someone she's really interested in. From my POV, we are in the "getting to know each other" phase, however I don't know what her POV of our relationship is. Like, I don't know rather or not she's serious. Does this make any sense? I guess what I'm asking is, how can I ask her how she views our relationship. I don't want to ask her if she's my girlfriend, because I don't want her to feel rushed, but I don't want to ask her if she's a just a friend because I don't want to make her feel like there's nothing between us. So I guess my final question is, how can I ask her what her point of view is on our relationship without offending her in any way? Thanks in advance for your help and support!!! -mmccul

Ok, Asking her if she is your girlfreind when you probably haven't even kissed yet is just silly.

What you want to know is

A. Are we just freinds?

or

B. Do you see this growing into something more?

The best way is to be open with her. Explain to her that you have really enjoyed your time together. After spending so much time together, you would like to see if it could develop into more than just being freinds. If she says yes, great.

If she says no, or that she doesn't want to ruin your freindship (which means no, just nicer), then be cool about it. Just let her know how you felt, and you understand she doesn't feel the same way.

If you can't treat her as "just a freind" then its your responsiblity to slow the freindship down, or end it completely. If you can seperate your feelings, then thats cool, keep everything the way it is now. I would strongly suggest finding someone else to date quick. Otherwise you're going to get the,

"I just feel ackward being around you" kind of thing.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Option two is keep spending time with her and it will become obvious. This is the option I prefer because it gives both of you time to get to know each other and decide what you want. Best wishes.
I think this is how many men end up feeling they've been "friendzoned". The real problem is that they did not make their intentions clear, and women cannot read minds. So both may end up waiting for the other to make a move.

Oh, to the OP, if you've been hanging out for a bit and feel some returned interest, then it's probably okay to try and kiss her. That'll clear things up quickly . Grabbing her hand and holding it is subtler, and probably will send the same message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships