Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times

Advertisements

Sounds like back then she was ready for sex and you werent. So she went and found someone who was. Whats the big deal? She was 16. Do you want people holding all the decisions you made at 16 over your head 20 YEARS LATER? Actually your post sounds like your ego is hurt. There is only 1 thing you can do about that. And that is to GET OVER IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
My friend that's all I am trying to say. I can't tell you how many times she has told me I was the only man she ever loved and was hurt becasue I wiould nlt sleep with her not when she was 16. She wanted me inside he and I said I couldn't. I never knew a teen of 16 could possible fall that deep in love with a guy who was 23. Even after being apart she loved me dearly. Her face would light up like a xmas tree when we were together. I just did not know it at the time.

I can't believe you. So do you wish she HAD told you? And then you would have walked away and missed having this wonderful marriage that you keep saying you have? Is that what you wish for? Because you are being a complete hard-nosed ignoramus about someone making a mistake, something that they regret who knew better than to disclose something that was none of your business in the first place.

If you can't see how foolish you are being, then walk away from her. Because that is where you WOULD be otherwise. She made a mistake. She regrets it. It had nothing to do with you. MOVE ON.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
"SHE WAS A CHILD, a kid a baby!!"

People that age don't know what they are doing. That's why they put those laws in place. No matter how mature they sound they still are babies. Sheesh!

You were 23?!?!? WTH Dude!?!?

Her parents were stupid!!!!! Yes, stupid!!!!! If I had a 16 year old daughter and a 23 year old man tried to come over to date my daughter I would have taken you outside and beat your head with some serious advice. (If you know what I mean?)
Gotta agree with you there, bud. I'd never allow that either. No flippin' way.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
so would you freak on me? i was 19, dating a 17year old... it's not illegal in this state.. i was out of school, had been working full time for almost 2 years, she was a high school senior... she had an engagement ring by the time she graduated

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
so would you freak on me? i was 19, dating a 17year old... it's not illegal in this state.. i was out of school, had been working full time for almost 2 years, she was a high school senior... she had an engagement ring by the time she graduated
No clue what are you asking here...or who you are asking it of.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 AM

everyone that is freaking on this dude because of the age difference... i dont see the big deal, especially if the parents approved, you are allowing the parents a LITTLE credit for not being morons, arent you?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
< is lost on the issue of age

if he was 40 and her 33, would it be an issue?
Huge difference. At 40 and 33 each member has had ample time to mature emotionally and mentally. At 16 they are still a child in most people's eyes. In your case where you were 19 and she 17, that's different, you were both relatively young but close in age. The OP was 7 years her senior. If my 16 year old daughter comes home with a 23 year old, me and him are having a wall-to-wall discussion over his interest in my daughter. At 23 many people have already graduated college or served a stint in the military, at 16 you haven't even been to your senior prom yet.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,702,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Huge difference. At 40 and 33 each member has had ample time to mature emotionally and mentally. At 16 they are still a child in most people's eyes. In your case where you were 19 and she 17, that's different, you were both relatively young but close in age. The OP was 7 years her senior. If my 16 year old daughter comes home with a 23 year old, me and him are having a wall-to-wall discussion over his interest in my daughter. At 23 many people have already graduated college or served a stint in the military, at 16 you haven't even been to your senior prom yet.
Or better yet, can anyone tell me why a 23-yr old guy (who is already out of high school and either in college -- thus experiencing college life and therefore would have more things in common w/ college folks -- or already working -- thus would have more things in common w/ those at work) be interested in a 16-yr old, other than getting "some action"?

At 23, life is different than at 16.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 AM

I appreciate the semi-level explanation. People mature at different rates, and while the rule may be that almost all 16 year olds are too immature for a real relationship, this girl may have been the exception that proves the rule.. possible, yes; likely, no

Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times
Stac2007... (trying to be considerate)...

Dude, let it go. She was 16 years old and this was 1989.

I appreciate it that in your youthful innocence and naivete, you wanted to be her first and you her first so that the first for both parties would've been a celebration of romance. Unfortunately, teenagers do make mistakes.

Think about it. People in their 20s, 30s, and even 40s do dumb things we later regret or are so embarrassed about we'd rather not share. There are things I have done w/ some women that I wish I could take back and will never be able to. I'd even say I've been fairly lucky, because I haven't gotten as burned as other guys have.

For example, by lacking self-control, I blew what could've been at the least a new friendship and at most a new dating relationship with an attractive and fun lady this past summer. I desperately wanted a 2nd chance, but I blew it.

But you know what? I let it go.

Again dude, I'm sure it's not a pleasant memory, but... it's been 20 years. For her sake and yours, please move on by focusing on the positive of the present and on the potential positives of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships