Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM

84 posts, read 268,323 times

Advertisements

Can a couple be happy without a sex life? My best female friend has met a guy who is just great. Good looking, articulate, nice, friendly, responsible, successful career and full of life and health. The trouble is while he is very romantic he has basically no sex drive. He just is not interested and tells my friend that he never was. He has tried counseling, drugs and hypnosis, none of it has worked. He just is not interested in either women or men in a sexual way.

Does he ever have a chance at love if he is not interested in the sexual side of a relationship? Is the relationship with my female friend doomed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
love is NOT sexual

sex should, however be a byproduct of love

marriage without sex is "life partner" not "lover"

if she can't handle it, it is doomed, if it REALLY doesn't bother her, then go for it..

i say she needs to whip out a vibrator in front of him and go to town, maybe it will flip his switch

Old 10-13-2009, 03:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
love is NOT sexual

if she can't handle it, it is doomed, if it REALLY doesn't bother her, then go for it..

i say she needs to whip out a vibrator in front of him and go to town, maybe it will flip his switch
Blah blah blah.

Sex and love go hand in hand. If this guy isn't wanting to burn up the sheets in the early phases of the relationship, what does she think is going to happen five-ten-twenty years down the road? My wife and I have been married 18 years and I still want to nail her every opportunity I get.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
He's gay, genius.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:49 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Sounds like he may be asexual, which is not a choice. So, it could pose a problem.

There are a lot of people like him. They don't have the desire for sex, so they don't miss it and they're not unhappy without it. They still have the same emotional needs as most people.

Overview | Asexual Visibility and Education Network

If he is just damaged, then there may be hope for him. Is she willing to work with it - that's the question.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Sounds like he may be asexual, which is not a choice. So, it could pose a problem.

There are a lot of people like him. They don't have the desire for sex, so they don't miss it and they're not unhappy without it. They still have the same emotional needs as most people.

Overview | Asexual Visibility and Education Network

If he is just damaged, then there may be hope for him. Is she willing to work with it - that's the question.
That's true. We once knew a couple like that. I would have sworn the guy was gay, while the wife was practically a raving nympho, peppering her conversation with sexual references. Last time I heard, they're still married 20 years later, but evidently there's an understanding--one where she can sleep around while he just kind of hangs out at home.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
He's gay, genius.

Yeah, that's what women on here like to throw at men. Dosen't want to hump her whenever he can = gotta be gay

You just said he has never been interested in sex. That dosen't mean he's asexual. They have not been intimate?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
Can a couple be happy without a sex life? My best female friend has met a guy who is just great. Good looking, articulate, nice, friendly, responsible, successful career and full of life and health. The trouble is while he is very romantic he has basically no sex drive. He just is not interested and tells my friend that he never was. He has tried counseling, drugs and hypnosis, none of it has worked. He just is not interested in either women or men in a sexual way.

Does he ever have a chance at love if he is not interested in the sexual side of a relationship? Is the relationship with my female friend doomed?
I don't know about her, but I wouldn't and couldn't. Some women can handle it, but to me it's a mystery how. To me love and sex go hand in hand. If I was her, I would RUN.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
And hence the invention of strap-ons.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
love is NOT sexual

Hi JBMallory,

Just like breast feeding doesn't push out the cuddle hormones? If she wants sex, then she is in for a long miserable life. Just sent her to the sexless marriage threads. He will not change. He should find a woman who is in to not doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships