U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,324,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It was never funny, because even for shock humor, it is missing the elements of comedy. Anyone can make a silly or insulting comment, that doesn't make it funny.

The fact that at least three of us can see the humor in it suggests otherwise.

Humor is subjective. You cannot apply an objective judgment to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 PM

7,250 posts, read 6,269,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post

Humor is subjective. You cannot apply an objective judgment to it.

Do explain the humor in it to us that "do not get what you 3 do." Make us see what you see. Please. A general outline will suffice. We want to laugh. We are all generally a very comical and silly bunch here. Try us.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM

8,836 posts, read 10,284,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Oh, so you three are the authority and benchmark for what is funny and what isn't?

All it suggests is that at least three of you are not "getting it", and that there is a time and place for this sort of thing. It's not as though someone asked for his input. No one paid the price of admission to hear his stand up routine, no one bought his book of tasteless jokes. It was an unsolicited and poorly timed joke at the expense of a grieving parent. I bet a thousand Nazi's thought it was funny to con the Jews into taking a shower in the gas chambers, so don't tell us that humor is subjective. There are universal standards of appropriateness, even amongst us with dark senses of humor.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,292,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
There's humor and then there's OMG!

I was talking to a young women a few weeks ago and she was telling me about the Birthday cake she made for a women that had lost one child of a set of twins, After I heard the whole story I dryly said she should have just made half a sheet cake with the writing partially missing.

Hmmm. I don't think she was happy to hear that.

Me, I have a dry sense of humor. But it's best when I go to a bar and such (even though I don't drink anymore but O'Doul's). But I'm still funny at times. Depends who I'm talking to and how many people are there.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM

4,739 posts, read 5,269,739 times
ok Hypothetical here, A guy sending money over seas to sponsor a child misses a payment and receives a picture of the same kid with flys on him.

Funny or not?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM

5,079 posts, read 8,229,138 times
omg. I think those who are currently peeved at our "humorous" poster are now letting him get the best of them. If ya didn't think it was funny, fair enough. If it crossed the line, fair enough. But by getting all worked up about it you are just doing exactly what he wants which he's getting a good laugh out of it. Soooo... here's a hug for everyone ((((((((mmmmm))))))))) - and lets all take a nice deep breath and move onto something much happier.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Do explain the humor in it to us that "do not get what you 3 do." Make us see what you see. Please. A general outline will suffice. We want to laugh. We are all generally a very comical and silly bunch here. Try us.

Easy.

Everything detractors of dark humor are in here complaining about is what makes dark humor funny.

What is funny is not *just* the joke, but the reactions the joke generates among the majority of people who would hear it. Dark humor is, by design, targeted to a minority audience.

"OMG, that's tasteless!" Funny!

"OMG, that's too far!" Funny!

"OMG, that's offensive!" Funny!

"OMG, that makes me SO angry!" Really funny!

"OMG, there outta be a law!" If something is so funny people start calling for regulation, that's funny.

"It makes Baby Jesus cry!" The Gold Standard of dark humor funny.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM

4,913 posts, read 4,234,479 times
Children are innocent and many are subjected to cruel, violent and abusive environments. THAT IS NOT FUNNY. Children dying..THAT IS NOT FUNNY.

You can joke about children being funny, silly, lazy, nosy...etc. but is it is not funny once you start taking it to another level such as joking about death or abuse of a child.

Lesson over....get it!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Oh, so you three are the authority and benchmark for what is funny and what isn't?
No, I claim no authority to decide what is funny for anyone else at all. I do point out that different people find different things funny for different reasons.

Are you suggesting that is not reality?

Quote:
All it suggests is that at least three of you are not "getting it", and that there is a time and place for this sort of thing. It's not as though someone asked for his input. No one paid the price of admission to hear his stand up routine, no one bought his book of tasteless jokes. It was an unsolicited and poorly timed joke at the expense of a grieving parent. I bet a thousand Nazi's thought it was funny to con the Jews into taking a shower in the gas chambers, so don't tell us that humor is subjective. There are universal standards of appropriateness, even amongst us with dark senses of humor.
I disagree.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM

12,345 posts, read 7,535,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
There's humor and then there's OMG!

I was talking to a young women a few weeks ago and she was telling me about the Birthday cake she made for a women that had lost one child of a set of twins, After I heard the whole story I dryly said she should have just made half a sheet cake with the writing partially missing.
Hi Rcm58,

I have a sick and twisted sense of humor typically involving gallows humor or anti-heroes but I would not have touched that. I do remember a day I was sitting next to two women and one was holding a new born baby and another woman was talking about baby horror stories of affliction and death in a "I heard this and that" style. What the heck is wrong with that women? I thought to myself. That is why I usually like to dryly make myself the butt of a joke.

Indecently I did make a single layer of a double layer cake to make myself feel better after the prison gang rape. I only wish they hadn't caught me trying to steal a Barby doll. Well actually, I screwed that up and accidentally grabbed Ken Instead. Word of it got out so every one wanted a piece of the guy who had a thing for Ken.

I should have just done what my cousin did and get it thought the mail but I just didn't trust what they meant by "discrete". It was all a big misunderstanding Still, I did just need half serving. I can even feel fully satisfied after child sized pudding deserts, though I still can't eat the chocolate. I continue to save on groceries since I lost half my manhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships