Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Nope. Most people like to pick and choose when Karma strikes and when it's just random luck. Bad thing happens to someone you don't like: Karma! They deserve it! Bad thing happens to someone you do like: bad luck! They don't deserve it! If you're going to believe in Karma, you have to believe that every bad thing that happens to you or someone you love is punishment for something bad you or they have done. You can't just be smug and think "Karma!" when something bad happens to someone you don't like.

While no one is perfect so it does stand to reason that bad things may happen to us in punishment for something bad we've done, even if overall, we are a good person - fact is, sometimes things, whether good or bad, happen to people who really don't deserve it.

I do believe that you reap what you sow - direct cause and effect. For example, if you're cold and rude to everyone around you and just generally a miserable git, it's not surprising if you find yourself lonely. No one wants to be around someone like that. But I do not believe that two completely unrelated things are somehow connected. In order to believe your racist door next neighbor got cancer because he's racist, you'd have to believe that every other cancer patient is also being punished for being an equally bad person. And I just don't believe that.
Karma is cause and effect/reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:19 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
If you are a good person and do good things and help others....you get a reputation....just like if you do bad things. Then, when bad things happen to you others will help or not help as the case may be. So, in that sense karma is a VERY real thing.

Karma is just another way of saying that you generate good or bad will and reap the consequences.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Karma is cause and effect/reap what you sow.
No, not necessarily. Karma is believing, as my previous example, that someone who is racist got cancer because they are racist. Two completely unrelated things but Karma suggests the cancer is the result of being a hateful racist. If you believe that, yes, it's cause and effect and reap what you sow. But I don't believe the two are related or connected in anyway, therefore I don't believe in Karma.

If you consider Karma to also be something like my other example - a miserable, unlikable person winding up lonely because no one wants to be around someone like that - then yes, I do believe in that. But I do not subscribe to the wider belief of Karma connecting an individual's choice with crap that just happens regardless of what choices you have made in the past. As far as I'm aware, that is considered a part of the belief of Karma and I just don't buy into it.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 PM

No, the racist got cancer bc he was genetically predisposed and exposed
to cancer causing elements, not bc some karmic witch doctor dished him his due.
There is alot of confusion and differing definitions on what Karma is and is not,
but for someone who hated this racist, there saying yeah, he got his.
That doesn't define karma for me.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Karma Sharma. Bwa ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
No, the racist got cancer bc he was genetically predisposed and exposed
to cancer causing elements, not bc some karmic witch doctor dished him his due.
There is alot of confusion and differing definitions on what Karma is and is not,
but for someone who hated this racist, there saying yeah, he got his.
That doesn't define karma for me.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Yeah, Blah , Blah , Blah

Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Meh. If a four-year-old child is diagnosed with leukemia, what exactly has that child done to deserve it?

However, I do believe that there are direct consequences for one's behavior. If you're kind and helpful to others, then the world is typically kind and helpful to you--and vice versa.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Meh. If a four-year-old child is diagnosed with leukemia, what exactly has that child done to deserve it?

However, I do believe that there are direct consequences for one's behavior. If you're kind and helpful to others, then the world is typically kind and helpful to you--and vice versa.
Not a damn thing. That is why I do not believe.

Maybe because of all the bad I have seen in my career... People getting hurt or dieing who didn't deserve to be hurt or killed.

And in the end we all face the same fate "good" or "bad."

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No It is mpore what you do in chioces and not waht you are born with in 99% of cases.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,412,990 times
Karma? No. Life is life. Sometimes it's not fair, but it's all we got, so we have to make the best of it.

Karma Sutra? Absolutely. Seriously, who Doesn't believe in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships