Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBlasphemy View Post
I think that's all a load of crap. I mean it.. fill a garbage truck full of feces and that's what you'll get.

Thing is, there's always been tough times, all through history. Hell, there's some points in time where all people had was a little one room shack and a bundle of straw to sleep on, but they still had families - they still made it.

It's human nature to want to be with someone and have a family, no matter what the socioeconomic situation is.

For now, while the economy isn't at it's best, people will just find ways to make things work. In the process, those same things that people devise to make ends meet will contribute to the betterment of the economy. I just can't see "decades of pain and despair" for people..

Maybe a few short years.. but not decades.

And hell, no matter what -- Life goes on.
I don't think it's so much the economy but values have changed.

If marriage means a one room shack and a bundle of straw to sleep in but the government will provide a much more comfortable lifestyle, many women will choose to be single mothers and have the government support them. Plus they can sue for child support whether or not they ever married the guy.

Some people will find ways to make things work but many will choose the easier way.

I think where the economy can have an affect - against marriages - is where a woman can work to support a family but the husband doesn't find work and financial pressures mount and she resents carrying the whole load. Financial problems destroy many marriages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It'll be a sad and pathetic day if more guys start going for money...
It is not that uncommon, especially in certain circles (artists, musicians...). If the men want to be able to do their thing and live, they have no problem having a sponser. There is no stigma.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly. The OP's premise makes no sense whatsoever. No household is more expensive to maintain than a single's household. Sharing is more economical provided both people pull their weight, of course. Living with some deadbeat certainly CAN ruin you financially.
Although, remember that commercial where the family is sitting around the table and the father says to the children "due to the economy, we're going to have to let one of you go."

Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 AM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think it's so much the economy but values have changed.

If marriage means a one room shack and a bundle of straw to sleep in but the government will provide a much more comfortable lifestyle, many women will choose to be single mothers and have the government support them. Plus they can sue for child support whether or not they ever married the guy.

Some people will find ways to make things work but many will choose the easier way.

I think where the economy can have an affect - against marriages - is where a woman can work to support a family but the husband doesn't find work and financial pressures mount and she resents carrying the whole load. Financial problems destroy many marriages.
That's true too.. Peoples values have changed. I don't think that it has anything to do with the current economy though. I think that blaming the current economy for people staying single just isn't right. Ok, it might be right to a very very small degree, but, like I said, life goes on.

I think it also depends on what part of the country you're from as well - or which country your from for all that matter. Someone living in Chicago is going to be radically different than someone living in rural Nebraska. I think, in Chicago it's easier for one to make it on their own, and it's also more socially acceptable. In Nebraska, I just don't think that's the case.

As far as married couples, yeah, the economy can have a big impact. That I'll agree with 100%. I was listening to something on the news that said that the age of people saving for what they want is over. It's all about instant gratification. They were saying something about less than half of the households in the US have working budgets.. I just think that's sad. Living day-to-day is going to have an effect, no matter what the economy is like.

But will the economy force already single people to stay single? I highly doubt that. They might not be moving in together right away, and may take a little more time in their decisions, but I just can't see a world where everyone's single.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 18,267 times
I think the premise here is totally wrong. If someones finances are not sufficient, getting married should actually help as it would be akin to having a roommate. I think the question is whether it will affect family size. First, I think we are being over dramatic about the economy. While I think it took its toll on people (mostly the value of their home which was inflated anyway, and more importantly their retirement accounts). But we have not become a third world country overnight. Most people will probably just cut back on luxeries, and try to save more. Less going to restaurants, expensive vacations, cut back on several things to try to replenish their retirement. Maybe cut back on the family size. However, it almost seems to be the opposite in this country where poor people tend to have more kids.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindofcool View Post
I think the premise here is totally wrong. If someones finances are not sufficient, getting married should actually help as it would be akin to having a roommate. I think the question is whether it will affect family size. First, I think we are being over dramatic about the economy. While I think it took its toll on people (mostly the value of their home which was inflated anyway, and more importantly their retirement accounts). But we have not become a third world country overnight. Most people will probably just cut back on luxeries, and try to save more. Less going to restaurants, expensive vacations, cut back on several things to try to replenish their retirement. Maybe cut back on the family size. However, it almost seems to be the opposite in this country where poor people tend to have more kids.
I mother used to say, "The rich get richer and the poor have kids." I was an only child, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships