Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Don't couples fight about money more than just about anything else? Next, if you have no money, you have to stay home and entertain each other. Yes, I can see the divorce rate going up!
Which tells you more than you probably want to know about a lot of couples who look to all the world as though they have it more together than thou, but who really have nothing that matters---with or without their money.

Money can be replaced and remade.

Heart and soul cannot.

I have to keep reminding myself of that when my own vast financial non-holdings stare me in the face . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
And he has some swampland to sell you in Florida.
I live in Alaska. Florida is too warm for me.

Quote:
The prenup defeats it all - what's the point in marrying a 6 figure income if I'm not getting any of it?Sheesh!
I'm not unreasonable. I never said I wouldnt buy you duct tape, bleech, a hammer, cement mix, a sleeping bag, and a chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ha-ha, actually it's probably about right. There's a catch, though - you gotta like getting up close and personal with bears and buffalos, too!

Jason, in case you wonder what drink to buy me for supporting your ad, I like Johnnie Black.
I don't get that close to animals but its definitely a possibility. No booze for you!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:35 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I don't get that close to animals but its definitely a possibility. No booze for you!
Somebody please enlighten me... Is biting the hand that feeds you an Alaskan special or something?!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'd say more are apt to move back home to their parents.
I think this is what we are going to be seeing more of. It hasnt been all that long ago the multigenerational households were common. With foreclosures and high unemployment families are having to move in together.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:
Somebody please enlighten me... Is biting the hand that feeds you an Alaskan special or something?!
Lol. If I got close enough to "feed" a buffalo I would get gored or run over. As for the bears, you can get very close to them in areas where they aren't hunted, but around town if you get too close you turn into dinner.

Edit: Also I will not hesitate to bite you.

Last edited by Jason28; 10-19-2009 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Lol. If I got close enough to "feed" a buffalo I would get gored or run over. As for the bears, you can get very close to them in areas where they aren't hunted, but around town if you get too close you turn into dinner.

Edit: Also I will not hesitate to bite you.
Alright... all lost in translation...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
I'd hate to have to try and raise kids on just my salary from my "day job". Since I'm single I'm able to work weekends and its a huge help. if I had a wife and kids I don't know if that would be possible. Until I get more financially stable I wouldn't even consider starting a family.

Truthfully, I may never start one unless the laws are changed. Right now as a man I'd be nuts to get married unless is it was to a woman who was better off financially than I was. Otherwise I risk losing everything to a divorce and paying an ex alimony for years or even for life like some of my buddies are! No thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:35 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I don't really see what money has to do with it. Unless it is imperative to throw a wedding reception, I don't see what should hold people back.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times
As I understand it, the marriage rate soared during the Great Depression. Women wed for security. I do agree with what someone said that there will be an increase in May-December marriages and so forth. The memberships of women joining dating websites have increased since the recession began. Heard that on a radio talk show. On the flip side, I also heard on the radio talk show the rate of drinking/drunkenness increases with a recession/financial stress and works against a relationship.

I do not think that the rate of established older men w/ younger women will increase too much more than it is, seems like it's been happening all along anyway regardless of the economy. A fair select number of younger men today are not exactly constructing and planning their lives how many of our parent's (Baby Boom Gen) used to do in the 70's. Women see this. The fibers today seem more loose and frayed. How could older men (or in general, men who have their gig together at whatever age) not seem more appealing for the women who do not want to live their lives like a fart in a strong wind storm. . .

Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte
Sorry, I don't get how divorced women with children got into the conversation.

Quote:
I didn't mean to steer the conversation this way. It's just one more type of a household when comparing expenses, and considering many people eventually end up with this type of household, it is something worth considering as well.
Its essential to think this way. Many mwen who are seduced by the siren call: "Two can live as cheaply as one." must eventually deal with the reality: "Can I support two households on my one income?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships