Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Love me - love my dogs. We're a package deal.
That is how my wife was. She had two cats. I never had a pet, but I did like animals. First time I was at my wife (then gf) place, the older one jumped up on the couch, sat next to me and purred while she was in the kitchen getting a snack for the movie. That surprised the wife (then gf). After we moved in together, the younger one attached herself to me and now follows me around the home and climbs onto my lap every chance she gets. And I wouldn't trade it in for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
One of my pals met a guy a few weeks back. He seems nice enough and they get along pretty well but he says he doesn't want any pets, ever. He doesn't hate animals, he's just not a pet person. She is and always has been. She is moving into a new home shortly and planned on getting a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They are both looking to settle down, so this may be a dealbreaker.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Would you end it now and not waste any more time or would you keep going just to see what happens?
Am I the only one who sees other issues with this other than just pets? I think that YOU as her friend should have a talk with her to hopefully straighten her out about considering settling down with a guy she just met a few weeks back. Why is she even entertaining any thoughts of the possibility of this guy moving in with her and the problems that might arise about pets if she is just now "getting ready to move into a new home"?

I mean seriously, she wants to get a dog, but she's worried about what effect this could have on a relationship she just started with a guy she met "a few weeks ago" because this guy says HE never wants pets?

Would it be a deal breaker for me if I just met a chick who said she never wants to own any pets? No. She's not my wife. She doesnt live with me. I love animals and especially love my dog so its no big deal if a chick I just me doesnt want pets. I want a pet, its my house/home, Im getting a pet. Doesnt matter what whoever Im dating says. Im getting my dog.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 10-20-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Another love me, love my dogs person.

However if I didn't have a pet, I would be willing to negotiate and perhaps delay acquisition for a while. But I wouldn't agree to never. I would be reasonable.
To think about it, they just met, so there's no need to delay the acquisition. She's not going to, so it's pretty clear he will be on the losing end long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Am I the only one who sees other issues with this other than just pets? I think that YOU as her friend should have a talk with her to hopefully straighten her out about considering settling down with a guy she just met a few weeks back. Why is she even entertaining any thoughts of the possibility of this guy moving in with her and the problems that might arise about pets if she is just now "getting ready to move into a new home"?
You're reading way too much into this, Fu. She's not losing her mind over it. They are both looking to settle down, they get along really well so there is promise. She was not aware of him being against pets when they met. She is getting the home anyway, it's part of her "plan" that includes having a dog. She had a dog previously that passed away and would not get another one until she was able to get a bigger place.

Quote:
I mean seriously, she wants to get a dog, but she's worried about what effect this could have on a relationship she just started with a guy she met "a few weeks ago" because this guy says HE never wants pets?
Would it be a deal breaker for me if I just met a chick who said she never wants to own any pets? No. She's not my wife. She doesnt live with me. I love animals and especially love my dog so its no big deal if a chick I just me doesnt want pets. I want a pet, its my house/home, Im getting a pet. Doesnt matter what whoever Im dating says. Im getting my dog.
It is a consideration. She is getting the dog regardless. If he is against having pets, what is the point of pursuing anything with him? They become more attached, making it harder to break it off down the road. I tend to agree with her; I am funny about my own time. I may have all the time in the world, but I have no time to waste on something that is likely to go south. I wouldn't want to be with someone who would likely bail because of my dog or would only tolerate it.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
I wouldnt end it. People say lots of things. I would let him know that I would have a pet sometime down the road and let him deal with that.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
One of my pals met a guy a few weeks back. He seems nice enough and they get along pretty well but he says he doesn't want any pets, ever. He doesn't hate animals, he's just not a pet person. She is and always has been. She is moving into a new home shortly and planned on getting a Golden Retriever or a Lab. They are both looking to settle down, so this may be a dealbreaker.

Would it be a deal breaker for you? Would you end it now and not waste any more time or would you keep going just to see what happens?
I would be really disappointed, but no, that's not a dealbreaker.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Love me-Love my cat..Package deal ONLY

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
love me, love my three dogs, one cat and three horses.

Definite deal breaker otherwise. People without pets are ... peculiar.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
People complain about being alone and lonely. These single people usually have pets and still consider themselves alone. Yet they put their pets before human companions. The natural human connection is being lost. Pets were domesticated for our use and pleasure, not to replace or supercede humans in our lives.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
50 years ago people didn't allow their pets in the house, and today they sleep on the owner's pillow.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:45 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
All my life i've had fourlegged pals & that ain't gonna change for a gal.

also BigFeets would get jealous...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships