Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,898,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
its the only way i could EVER see me getting married.

otherwise, i can guarantee i will stray...
But you would stay within your marriage(s) if you had multiple wives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 AM

644 posts, read 3,319,980 times
I will only marry a polygamist if he is rich and pays for my plastic surgery. And I'm not having any natural children. I shudder to think what pregnancy could do to my body. And, one more thing: if he starts paying more attention to the other wives, that's fine, but I'm going to have a tryst with the gardener -- so don't ask about the grass stains.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,800,504 times
In the old days...a man and woman married, had ten kids, and they had all the damn help they needed. Like my grandparents. Both sides had very large dairy farms. And they had 8 kids each, to help build and maintain those farms. They worked hard and lived good. And not one of my aunts or uncles followed suit. (marrying and having many kids) Weird...

Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 AM

644 posts, read 3,319,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
In the old days...a man and woman married, had ten kids, and they had all the damn help they needed. Like my grandparents. Both sides had very large dairy farms. And they had 8 kids each, to help build and maintain those farms. They worked hard and lived good. And not one of my aunts or uncles followed suit. (marrying and having many kids) Weird...
That's not weird. Do you realize how much it costs to raise a kiddie nowadays? Before, they used to help out on the farm. Now you have to drive them around to soccer practice.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,341,892 times
I have one wife, why would i want anouther? get a dozen of them then at least one will be mad all the time. You can have 3 dozen kids running around screeming and crying, 9 out of 12 wives all mad and upset over something, all your hair falling out and by 40 you look 70 and are wishing for a quik death.
Yeah thats the life.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,833,608 times
I just read this for the first time today and I have a few comments:

This thread started out comparing lions to humans. I've seen many discovery channel shows in which the male/father lion kills a cub if he doesn't feel like sharing his food. I think we need to hold male human beings to a higher standard than that which we hold lions.

Seahawksweetie- you mention that having a second woman in your relationship provides you with relief when you're not in the mood to be intimate or when it's "that time of the month." As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with saying "NO," "It's my time of the month", "I have a headache" or any other reason I'm not in the mood. There's no reason a man can't handle going without sex for five to seven days straight.

I'm not judgemental- and quite honestly, before reading this thread I was against polygamy. However I am a same sex marriage supporter and I understand that this is yet another alternative family option- although it's something I would never consider for myself.

But excuses like those I addressed above are ridiculous. Admit that it's about variety, excitement, laziness, whatever- at least be honest about your reasons.

But don't use the animal kingdom or a man's need for sex as means to justify multiple marriages. Primal urges can be surpressed and men can survive without sex for a few days at a time.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,427 times
I never said it was mainly because a man couldn't go without sex. I was merely pointing out one of the positives of the relationship. I mostly post on these boards while I'm at work and I honestly don't have the time to sit and write my thesis on the subject.

It really doesn't matter "why" someone chooses a particular lifestyle, as long as they are happy with it.

And for the record, I practice polyamory, not polygamy. It is not dictated by my religion, as I'm Wiccan. And it is not a dictatorship where the man rules the house. In my situation it is about 3 adult people in a loving relationship.

You would think with all the unhappiness in the world, that people would be thrilled to see people in a loving relationship, whether that is same sex marriage, or a heterosexual marriage or polyamory or whatever.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,833,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
It really doesn't matter "why" someone chooses a particular lifestyle, as long as they are happy with it.

I totally agree and that's why I commented that the excuses made for making such a choice are unnecessary and hold no water.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,263 times
I was always told that monagamy was the way to go untill I met my husband.. He however has always been a polygamist. After 8 years of being together we have made the choice to open our relationship.. Our lifestyle and living situation is different. He has a child with another woman which was before us she has lived with us for the last 3 years she has in turned become our partner. But it does not stop there we are looking for another male to bring into our family.. We live happily together and our children are loved and supported they are happy with how things are. The way I see it is if it works go with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it and we shouldn't have to hide our love it's also nice for me since I am Bi I get the best of both worlds and my husband have 2 women tho soon to be another man for me and our other wife.

Ariea

Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 AM

485 posts, read 1,647,717 times
Is polygamy legal in some states? I always thought it was illegal in most states, but apparently from this thread there are many who are doing this. Is it just living together, or are these groups getting legally wed? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships