Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
They are the same family. But different subtypes. Like how housecats and lions are both felines but not the same in all ways.

Gotcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
One is more likely to die in an automobile accident in any given year than contract HIV via oral sex. This fact does not deter reasonable people from driving or riding in their car for pleasure. Similarly, the exceedingly low risk of contracting HIV via oral sex does not deter reasonable people from engaging in fellatio or cunnilingus, which are very enjoyable and pleasurable activities.

Report the facts but please don't engage in scare tactics, folks.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
That is like saying I don't drive because look at all the car accidents out there. It may not be politically correct to say so but still the large majority HIV and Hep C of infected are Afirican American, gays and needle users.

Yes all types of people can or have a STD whether it is curable or not but when I read on this forum someone saying "STD's are everywhere" they are blowing it out of proportion.

Check sources and facts before you sware off sex all together. Of course one should use caution and be select but giving up sex all together specially if you are single is just extreme IMO.

BTW if you are worried about it there are other sex things you can do other than full intercourse. Oral sex is low risk, in fact there is not one reported case of getting HIV from oral specially for the receiver. Mutual masterbation is another alternative. You can do each other and gratify each other without actually banging each other.....
What about crabs in your beard?

Last edited by funymann; 10-22-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,470 times
What this statistic doesn't select for is risk. I'm willing to bet that a good number of the 25% who have an STD engage in risky sexual practices. These are the type of people who sleep around. Responsible people, the majority of the 75% who don't have an STD, probably practice safer sex. Just a thought.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:38 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Well, the statistic is meaningless because it varies greatly by population.

For example, prostitute? Probably very near 100%.
Person that has had very few partners, practiced safe sex etc. then close to 0%
Someone that has had frequent risky (unsafe) sex with people they just met in bars....? Close to 100%.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
You may doubt, but you're wrong about the specific population they are talking about - young women. When this study came out about 18 months ago, it was a revelation about the sexual behavior of the population group.

One thing that was missing was the comparable data for young men. My theory was that it was suppressed, since it would show a much lower rate and this would also come as a revelation - that young women are predominantly focusing their attention on a small subset of young men. This ability of these young men to "double dip" is creating the STD epidemic and also resulting in the major increase in the number of single mothers.

BTW, race was also a factor with (as I recall) black being 48%, latino 28% and white 20% but this cannot be completely swept under the rug by being blamed on race alone. However, low socioeconomic status did have an impact and those places with abstinance only sex education were also at much higher risk.
Fifty years ago, the focus of most infection, followed up by public health, was a prostitute and her clients. Public health would then follow this down the chain to wives and very occasionally girlfriends.

While this vector hasn't changed that much, it has been overtaken, in schools and colleges by the "high school quarterback" type who links to numbers of young women who then lead to the rest of the team.

This is only a slight exaggeration. Public health concentrates on this sector of society since it is usually easier for those involved to remember (and know) their contacts. Some schools and communities have had massive infections, especially in the affluent suburbs where parents are scarce and kids are bored.

Unfortunately, only some STDs can be cured.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Unfortunately, only some STDs can be cured.
This is simply not true.

The three most common STD's in the U.S. are chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphillis. All three are easily treated with antibioltics.

The most common STI -- HPV -- is naturally removed by the body's normal immune system in the vast majority of instances. In rare instances HPV can develop into cervical cancer, penile cancer, and anal cancer. Of these three cancers, cervical is -- by far -- the most common (penile and anal cancers are pretty rare diseases). Cervical cancer is easy diagnosed via a pap smear. All of these cancers are curable if caught early.

Herpes and HIV are viral infections and there is no cure for either. Antiviral medications can temper and/or moderate their progression and symptoms. Fortunately, their instances are much rarer than chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphillis.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
I think it's true. A friend of mine worked for the center for disease control here in Atlanta and he told me he was shocked at the number of "fine women" walking around on azt. If you think about how "free sex" is promoted in our society I believe those stats could be true. That's probably right if you count the people who don't get tested, don't show outward symptoms (no outbreaks), and those who are in denial.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
AN STD!!!!

1 in 4.

I heard this from a guy the other day. He said he only had sex with 3 girls so he thinks the next one would be the doosy. He is getting engaged now.

What are your thoughts.

Mine are that a pistol has more slots for bullets than the odds anymore.
If you count HPV and herpes, yes. If you don't, I bet it's more like 1 in 20 or less.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
What this statistic doesn't select for is risk. I'm willing to bet that a good number of the 25% who have an STD engage in risky sexual practices. These are the type of people who sleep around. Responsible people, the majority of the 75% who don't have an STD, probably practice safer sex. Just a thought.
So the nearly 25% who have STDs nearly all engaged in risky activity.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

A lot higher percentage of certain age groups are involved and only a .
a minority have STDs. Its not like its a guarantee. I fact, many who THINK they are low risk, are in fact, not. The fact is that rates of having sex, among those who are able to get it, is quite high. There is little stigma anymore and among those groups where there supposedly is (say evangelicals) well, they just don't talk about it - until there is a pregnancy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships