Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 AM

174 posts, read 374,180 times

Advertisements

Yes, women have gained more rights and options in the past 40 years. We also have lots of single mothers and metal detectors in our public schools to keep out knives and guns. Why isn't mom supervising her kids in this way? In fact, why wasn't mom smart enough to choose a better man to have her kids to begin with? Every man, good and bad, was raised by a woman. I guess that makes me a bit of a misogynist. At least give me credit for remaining single.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think feminism has meant a boat-load of responsibility for women. Now we have to compete in the workplace and make as much money as a man. We have to be able to take care of ourselves economically. We maintain our cars, mow the yard, and fix the toilet. And we still have to be the Mom, and care for a family/home. In short, we are now responsible for everything. Last let's not forget we are still supposed to look great, be 10lbs underweight, have big boobs, and be drop dead sexy. Especially after fixing the toilet.

Wish I could say for sure this a wonderful advancement. I don't think the new world order has necessarily been good for our children. They were better off with Mrs. Cleaver and fresh baked cookies after school. Not sure this has been good for men either. The older gender roles spelled out their responsibilities clearly. I think in time, it will become accepted that everyone is now responsible for everything but now would be a confusing time to be a man. I think most men are looking for a comfy place between male chauvinist and metrosexual.

Is feminism good for women? I've always had to take care of myself so it's just the status quo. I think to know for sure I would have to experience the other side. I hope I get a chance try it out.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Women who play the kitten card for free drinks and meals set the rest of us back 100 years.

There is nothing wrong with your man pampering you and taking you out to a nice meal but using guys for drinks/meals/gifts, well just become a prostitute...you'll get paid as well.

Feminism to me is not 'getting all cutesy' when it suits you (no one better around/bored) and using men. No wonder so many are 'paranoid' against gold-diggers.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 PM

429 posts, read 1,148,310 times
I think a woman's age affects her definition of feminism. It would be difficult for a teenage girl of today to even conceive of anyone treating her like a second-class citizen because of her gender, but it did happen to a lot of us, and not so long ago.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Feminism is an idealogy propagated primarily by privileged, upper-middle class white women...

Nuff said...

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneee View Post
I think a woman's age affects her definition of feminism. It would be difficult for a teenage girl of today to even conceive of anyone treating her like a second-class citizen because of her gender, but it did happen to a lot of us, and not so long ago.
And unfortunately, it still happens, from time to time. I think there are some men around today (old and young) who would pat a woman on the head if they could get away with it.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
This essay pretty much sums it up for me: Yes, You Are « Tomato Nation

Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, there are two kinds of feminism, just like there's good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.

1) Good feminism. The kind that asserts that women do have equal value and equal rights in society.

2) Bad feminism. The Andrea Dworkin types who preach that men are the enemy, all sex is the equivalent of rape, and that any woman who derives satisfaction from staying at home with her children while her husband earns a living is somehow traitorous to her gender. The humorless scolds who devote endless hours and energy deconstructing every utterance in search of non-PC beliefs.

The first one? I don't think anybody but the worst mossback would have a problem with. The second one? A pain in the ass for everybody, and they're not even right.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:56 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
It means equal opportunity for women. It means treating women like people, not cattle or property. It means ending policies, practices, and traditions that have discriminated against women and caused them harm. It means supporting efforts to remedy the effects of past discrimination.

Opponents of feminism sometimes miscast feminism as supporting the denial of femininity and/or dislike of men. This is total nonsense. Sadly, some people fall for this baloney.
Thank you. The voice of reason and information, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Thank you. This is what it means to me.

I think it was some period in the early 70's when they were burning bras, yet I was trying to get my mother to buy me one!

Feminism means to me the ability to choose if I want to work and be able to go to school. The ability to vote in public elections. I'm glad I'm in America, where I can wear pants if I choose and not a burqa.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi PassTheChocolate,

It is used opportunistically by both men and women. Also, who exactly has that authority to define what it is?
It's really not about authority, at least not in this thread. It's about being informed and knowing what you're arguing about.

Quote:
Men use it and abuse it. A man will often choose to show his belief in feminism by not paying for dinner and letting the door slam. Women use it and abuse it. I don't see women doing certain dirty and dangerous jobs and suddenly lose enthusiasm for the concept.
They both abuse it, sure, as they do in many other areas of life. My position would be that women don't have to be enthusiastic about or want those dirty and dangerous jobs in order to want or be worthy of equality. I agree that men and women are not equal, so we would not be the "better man" for a job that requires heavy lifting, for example, standing side by side. I don't think a woman should get the job because she is a woman, in the so-called interest of equality, when there are men who can and will do the job better than she can. But I also recognize that some women are fully capable and better at it than some men.

Quote:
I generally hate the premise of some forms of feminism which is that women were universally oppressed. Class was that distinction, not sex.
I agree, though I believe class was also a factor, not the factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think feminism has meant a boat-load of responsibility for women. Now we have to compete in the workplace and make as much money as a man. We have to be able to take care of ourselves economically. We maintain our cars, mow the yard, and fix the toilet. And we still have to be the Mom, and care for a family/home. In short, we are now responsible for everything. Last let's not forget we are still supposed to look great, be 10lbs underweight, have big boobs, and be drop dead sexy. Especially after fixing the toilet.
I agree the pressure is there, mainly because of the misconceptions and distortions and people who refuse to see past their own bubble. Thankfully, no woman is forced to do any of these things. I still prefer to pay someone to change the oil in my car while I have the ability to support myself and my family. We can decide what is best for us and what we want to live with and turn away. That, for me, is the tone of feminism.

Quote:
Wish I could say for sure this a wonderful advancement. I don't think the new world order has necessarily been good for our children. They were better off with Mrs. Cleaver and fresh baked cookies after school. Not sure this has been good for men either. The older gender roles spelled out their responsibilities clearly. I think in time, it will become accepted that everyone is now responsible for everything but now would be a confusing time to be a man. I think most men are looking for a comfy place between male chauvinist and metrosexual.
I agree with you here. Also, most, if not all, forms of advancement will be met with opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth70 View Post
Yes, women have gained more rights and options in the past 40 years. We also have lots of single mothers and metal detectors in our public schools to keep out knives and guns. Why isn't mom supervising her kids in this way? In fact, why wasn't mom smart enough to choose a better man to have her kids to begin with? Every man, good and bad, was raised by a woman. I guess that makes me a bit of a misogynist. At least give me credit for remaining single.
I applaud you, and thank you, for remaining single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Women who play the kitten card for free drinks and meals set the rest of us back 100 years.
Another example of what I stated in my original post. Personal responsibility. No one can set you back unless you allow them to. Try again.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with your man pampering you and taking you out to a nice meal but using guys for drinks/meals/gifts, well just become a prostitute...you'll get paid as well.
Yes, it is wrong.

Quote:
Feminism to me is not 'getting all cutesy' when it suits you (no one better around/bored) and using men. No wonder so many are 'paranoid' against gold-diggers.
Sorry, but those who are paranoid about gold-diggers are miserable by their own choosing and their own doing. Again, personal responsibility.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 PM

20,723 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
"The Myth of Male Power" by Warren Farrell
"The War Against Boys" by Christina Sommers

Both should be read by ALL men and women.

That's my answer to this thread.
Hi Black Jack22,

Interesting how "The War Against Boys" looks at the school system. How does a boy's tendency to focus fit with 6 subjects in 50 minute intervals? I think it is a big reason why the gap closes if boys make it to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships