U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
 
548 posts, read 700,079 times
Reputation: 255
Default Why do people stare while I hold hands with my bf?

I'm a black female and my bf is Italian, we live in new york and as diverse and liberal new york is, people still stare. Isn't it 2009 going on 2010?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
 
25,170 posts, read 33,503,551 times
Reputation: 6690
Hey are they smiling, nodding, and appear accepting in any way?
I will look at an interracial couple so they know I accept them as they are. It is a sign of acknowledgment. Are you or your BF really sexy or cute? Dress fashionable? Those are other reasons why I would look longer than just a few seconds BUT if you are talking sneering, death stares, rolling eyes, or angry glances then yes it is probably because they don't accept it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black female and my bf is Italian, we live in new york and as diverse and liberal new york is, people still stare. Isn't it 2009 going on 2010?
Im sure they are not staring at you. Maybe you just have some hang-up about it and just THINK people are staring at you. Did you ever stop to think for a second that IF (and thats a big IF) people are staring, maybe they just find you attractive. Maybe they find your BF attractive. Dont be so self conscious about it to think that it has to do with you being black and he being white.

It seems like black females have the biggest hangups and/or issues when it comes to stuff like this. Just be cool and enjoy hanging out with your bf.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: southern california
49,282 posts, read 45,802,045 times
Reputation: 40368
they are angry bek he is happy. also bek they know if a few years they are guna get sued in divorce court but he is not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM
 
25,170 posts, read 33,503,551 times
Reputation: 6690
We should wait and see what else she says instead of accusing her of having hang ups and issues. Regardless of what you think minorities have to deal with tough and sometimes really mean people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Im sure they are not staring at you. Maybe you just have some hang-up about it and just THINK people are staring at you. Did you ever stop to think for a second that IF (and thats a big IF) people are staring, maybe they just find you attractive. Maybe they find your BF attractive. Dont be so self conscious about it to think that it has to do with you being black and he being white.

It seems like black females have the biggest hangups and/or issues when it comes to stuff like this. Just be cool and enjoy hanging out with your bf.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
36,067 posts, read 55,947,661 times
Reputation: 24731
What is this, A Bronx Tale?

Maybe you're just smokin' hot like Jane Williams and they wanna get an eyeful before they never see you again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,205,787 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
We should wait and see what else she says instead of accusing her of having hang ups and issues.
The fact that she started a thread on this leads one to believe there are some hang ups and/or issues about it. Why else start a thread about?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
 
25,170 posts, read 33,503,551 times
Reputation: 6690
There are different types of looks and stares. There is the stare like 'dang she or he is hot. I'd like some of that'. Then there is the stare like 'I think those people are disgusting and abnormal'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What is this, A Bronx Tale?

Maybe you're just smokin' hot and they wanna get an eyeful before they never see you again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
 
548 posts, read 700,079 times
Reputation: 255
I've noticed that certain people stare in different ways

White women/black men look in a more glaringly type of way
black women look astonished
White men smile and try to start up conversations with us
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 PM
 
25,170 posts, read 33,503,551 times
Reputation: 6690
You are obviously not a sensitive or caring person. I can see that right away. She nor I need to explain to you about what minorities have to sometimes suffer through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The fact that she started a thread on this leads one to believe there are some hang ups and/or issues about it. Why else start a thread about?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top