Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times

Advertisements

pppfff 9 months
yeah marriage is easy cause you have been married 9 MONTHS. come back in 9 years and then see if you feel the same way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Im sorry anyone who thinks marriage or any relationship is easy is an idiot. Relationships take work, Both parties need to work hard at it or IT WILL FAIL. If your relationship is easy, then your doing something wrong and it will eventually fail. Healthy relationships have turbulence, If your is all smooth sailing, you either worked at it for some time and smoothed it out over the years or you havent hit the turbulace yet.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Im sorry anyone who thinks marriage or any relationship is easy is an idiot. Relationships take work, Both parties need to work hard at it or IT WILL FAIL. If your relationship is easy, then your doing something wrong and it will eventually fail. Healthy relationships have turbulence, If your is all smooth sailing, you either worked at it for some time and smoothed it out over the years or you havent hit the turbulace yet.
Exactly. It is all in how the conflicts are resolved. Granted some people mix like oil and water and never should be together. But relationships take a lot work.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You have to know when to leave the other person alone. And when not to.
You have to be realistic about yourself and the other person.
Not everything is perfect. In fact, very few things are.
You married an individual for what he or she was (at least that's the theory), let him or her remain that person. I mean by that things like hobbies-he (she) had them when you married, don't try to make him (her) give them up once you're married because you don't like the activity and never did but tolerated it when dating.
Don't dwell on the past. In anything including past relationships.
Children complete a marriage, don't let them become a competition.
Realize those annoying little habits the other had (like letting the mail pile up) before marriage aren't going to disappear with the "I do's".
Have a sense of humor, gentle teasing from both parties is fun.
Don't pick fights because you're bored. That's immature.
Don't nag, especially about things like a bit of weight gain. Metabolisms change over the years. The six pack I had when in flight school 30 years ago is now a 2 liter even though the weight is the same.
Did I say nothing is perfect?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, thinking marriage is a breeze after nine months is kind of like running the first 100 yards in a marathon and saying, "Wow, that wasn't bad at all."

Not trying to be snippy or anything, but you really haven't been tested with anything yet. If you're living in an apartment with no kids and two incomes, your biggest challenge so far has been to determine which family you'll spend which holiday with. Not exactly the day-in, day-out treadmill that one faces when there are bills to be paid and children to be raised.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have to know when to leave the other person alone. And when not to.
You have to be realistic about yourself and the other person.
Not everything is perfect. In fact, very few things are.
You married an individual for what he or she was (at least that's the theory), let him or her remain that person. I mean by that things like hobbies-he (she) had them when you married, don't try to make him (her) give them up once you're married because you don't like the activity and never did but tolerated it when dating.
Don't dwell on the past. In anything including past relationships.
Children complete a marriage, don't let them become a competition.
Realize those annoying little habits the other had (like letting the mail pile up) before marriage aren't going to disappear with the "I do's".
Have a sense of humor, gentle teasing from both parties is fun.
Don't pick fights because you're bored. That's immature.
Don't nag, especially about things like a bit of weight gain. Metabolisms change over the years. The six pack I had when in flight school 30 years ago is now a 2 liter even though the weight is the same.
Did I say nothing is perfect?
Excellent post! That is the honest truth right there.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dms0309 View Post
I personaly dont think it is. I have a wonderful husband and although we have been married for about 9 months now I feel that are marriage is going to last long because of the way we both look at marriage and other important issues dealing with marriage.

Even though I think marriage is not hard my friend Elise who has been married for a little over a year and a half, mabey two years tells me it is extremly hard and that she no longer has love for her husband. She has a child on the other hand and I believe their marriage was more because she was pregnant.

But I was just wondering how many other people felt like her. How many people have or are married and think it is Hard? ...and Why?
I think it's important to share your expectations with your spouse. If you're going to be angry and expect your spouse to know what is wrong and fix it, chances are your marriage will be hard.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Excellent post! That is the honest truth right there.
Simply put , for a marriage to last it does take a lot of "WORK" not necessarily hard but still work . To make that work a little easier I used the following formula ( thought process) to make it in life there can be no "I" or Me" only "WE" . 46 years and still going strong , working out each problem in life as they occur "TOGETHER" .

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
It always amazes us when we hear people say that "marriage is hard work". We don't feel that way at all. A good marriage, with the right person, just flows.
That's good to know. I've always thought marriage shouldn't be a construction site! I work all day and I don't feel like "working" a second shift at home. That's not say I don't wanna care for another person and do nice things for him, but if it feels like a constant struggle, it's too much.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's good to know. I've always thought marriage shouldn't be a construction site! I work all day and I don't feel like "working" a second shift at home. That's not say I don't wanna care for another person and do nice things for him, but if it feels like a constant struggle, it's too much.
Yep. Thats why I still say that you need to "train" him/her in the beginning. That way, they don`t set their ways, as to...this is the way its gonna be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships