U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:59 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,637,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
yes- who started this thread????-lol- Most take out to love honor and obey- cherish was a word some used as a substitute- to modernize the vows.

Also a church wedding didnt help my friend who is in an abusive marriage and had a huge expensive church wwedding. IMO its the two people that count- not some shallow dictate (either from society or a church). JMO

sunny
A church wedding can not save any marriage...to think so would be indeed ridiculous. It is the attitude that both hold while taking the vows. If neither are faithful, you have a castatrophy, and how, that is a particular religion's fault, I do not see.
To say ones faith is shallow, is very rude and condescending.
Really.
One chooses faith or rejects it , it is not a dictate. One can choose to follow the rules of a society, or leave, or suffer the consequences, it is that simple.
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye70 View Post
That's nice that it works for you. If the way you & your spouse live together works for you, that's great! What do you mean by submit? Are you talking about letting him take control over issues you would rather not deal with? Or do you both have specific gender roles that you both fulfill?
Did not see this before. Sorry. I am wife and mother, by his very nature he can't be those things
There is very little either of us would not deal with, so it has nothing to do with that.
The biblical definition does not mean I cow tow to him or that I am a door mat. I submit to him in the very same way he submits to Christ and His church. As a Christians we are not walked on by God but lifted up.

MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 05:25 PM

15,007 posts, read 25,327,670 times
But your both obediant to each other correct? As well as to God. I take it you are not a slave in your own house. Which is good...

Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
But your both obediant to each other correct? As well as to God. I take it you are not a slave in your own house. Which is good...
I am not a slave...how silly!!
My life is beyond good. But it is because we both know our roles, and do them without complaint. Like I said roles can change. My husband does his job, he works very hard outside of the home, the very least I should do is make sure everything at home is taken care of, so he has no worries when he is gone all day, and when he comes home can relax.
I want to make his world beautiful, and that includes keeping myself attractive, and my home clean and presentable. I take care of all of our finances, so he never worries about money. It works out quite well...or at least has for 15 years.

MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 08:43 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,981,026 times
Lightbulb i wasnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
A church wedding can not save any marriage...to think so would be indeed ridiculous. It is the attitude that both hold while taking the vows. If neither are faithful, you have a castatrophy, and how, that is a particular religion's fault, I do not see.
To say ones faith is shallow, is very rude and condescending.
Really.
One chooses faith or rejects it , it is not a dictate. One can choose to follow the rules of a society, or leave, or suffer the consequences, it is that simple.
MBG
to explain- I wasnt blaming religion- I was blaming the delusions that my friend has------I do think some people go into denial when the marriage falls apart (in her case) she says it was a good Catholic wedding- so he can never file for divorce- (her distortion- not mine!)

sunny

Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM

2,267 posts, read 374,720 times
Quote:
I don't know I am obedient to God my Father, I am obedient to the laws of my country...obedience is not just for children...
I submit to my husband as my husband submits to the Lord, if it was a negative we would not be require to do so (speaking as a Christian...to others this may or may not apply).
Submission is not about one have control over the other it is about self control...huge difference. I thank God my husband hand I respect each other fully, no one is ever patronizing to, or controlling of the other. It just plain works.

MBG

I do not count myself as a christian and this topic isn't why I am not a christian..

I think the fact that the bible uses the relationship between a man and a woman to signify his relationship with his chosen people says it all...Are you saying you feel the relationship between god and his chosen people is a completely equal one, with no one in charge and no one designated to follow??

I Peter calls for women to "be in subjection to your husband"

Titus says to teach young women to love their husbands and be obedient

OH and one of my personal favorites...
I Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted until them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. Verse 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

There are no corresponding parts of the bible that even things out, the bible paints a clear picture that women are not the equal of men...if thats the way YOU want to live your life then of course you must follow what you feel is right...however I am equal to MAN, I am raising my daughter to feel that she is as well.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I do not count myself as a christian and this topic isn't why I am not a christian..

I think the fact that the bible uses the relationship between a man and a woman to signify his relationship with his chosen people says it all...Are you saying you feel the relationship between god and his chosen people is a completely equal one, with no one in charge and no one designated to follow??

I Peter calls for women to "be in subjection to your husband"

Titus says to teach young women to love their husbands and be obedient

OH and one of my personal favorites...
I Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted until them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. Verse 35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

There are no corresponding parts of the bible that even things out, the bible paints a clear picture that women are not the equal of men...if thats the way YOU want to live your life then of course you must follow what you feel is right...however I am equal to MAN, I am raising my daughter to feel that she is as well.
I was not speaking to why anyone was not a Christian... this was not directed at anyones beliefs.
It simply was explaining where I get my views, why we do what we do. What anyone one does who is not a Christian is not up to be to judge, ever. Sorry if you took offense, that was not my intention.

But for you to come here now, and degrade my faith because you disagree, is well kind of pathetic.
I would never judge your beliefs but you have clearly judged mine.
That is just wrong.
MBG

Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
to explain- I wasnt blaming religion- I was blaming the delusions that my friend has------I do think some people go into denial when the marriage falls apart (in her case) she says it was a good Catholic wedding- so he can never file for divorce- (her distortion- not mine!)

sunny
Catholics get divorces, just like any other faith, it is discouraged, but they have just as high divorce rate.
MBG

Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM

2,267 posts, read 374,720 times
Quote:
I was not speaking to why anyone was not a Christian... this was not directed at anyones beliefs.
It simply was explaining where I get my views, why we do what we do. What anyone one does who is not a Christian is not up to be to judge, ever. Sorry if you took offense, that was not my intention.

But for you to come here now, and degrade my faith because you disagree, is well kind of pathetic.
I would never judge your beliefs but you have clearly judged mine.
That is just wrong.
MBG
How am I degrading your belief system by quoting your own bible to you??? I am not judging your beliefs, I am judging that you don't practice what you preach...IF you believe the bible, then you believe what it says??? How can this be true when you don't practice it and probably didn't even know some of those verses were there...

Whats sad and terribly uninformed of you is for you to believe you follow the bible on this, I assume you do speak out in church...if so then you are going against your own bible...

I do believe that your indulgence in personal attacks shows you realize you don't have a leg to stand on...now remember, next time your in church, you can't speak out...

Its a sad state of affairs when an atheist knows the bible better then a self proclaimed christian.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
How am I degrading your belief system by quoting your own bible to you??? I am not judging your beliefs, I am judging that you don't practice what you preach...IF you believe the bible, then you believe what it says??? How can this be true when you don't practice it and probably didn't even know some of those verses were there...

Whats sad and terribly uninformed of you is for you to believe you follow the bible on this, I assume you do speak out in church...if so then you are going against your own bible...

I do believe that your indulgence in personal attacks shows you realize you don't have a leg to stand on...now remember, next time your in church, you can't speak out...

Its a sad state of affairs when an atheist knows the bible better then a self proclaimed christian.
So, taking things out of context and attacking me makes you some kind of expert?? Yeah, I know my bible and what it says, the entire context, you dear have no clue. It is evident by your posts.
And please do not assume anything about me.
And now since you know me so well you are now saying you have the right to judge me? Pathetic.
I have never judged you, and yet you continue to attack and belittle me all because I am a Christian, for no other reason. How sad, you really must me one miserable person Feel it your duty to judge other because they have a faith you cannot stand.
Please do tell, where have I attacked anyone???
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships