U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,331,206 times
Angry Would you date someone who had a coldsore before?

Ok, i know this is kind of a weird topic, but i need some advice. I've been dating a med student for a few weeks and things seem to be going very well. He's smart, down to earth, funny, cute, share my values and beliefs, etc. The only problem is i mentioned to him that i had a cold sore about a year and a half ago and once before that. I was telling him that guys at work were making fun of me when i had it saying that i had herpes. And yes i know that cold sores are usually caused by HSV1. Anyway, he was working in the ER last week and a girl came in w/genital herpes on her face. So, after seeing that and hearing from some RX reps talking about herpes medicines, he's totally freaking out. He told me that it can be spread even when it's inactive and to other parts of the body including fingers and genitals. It's to the point where he's afraid to kiss me because he could get a cold sore at some point. He would be embarrassed to have to see 40-60 patients a day for 7 to 10 days w/something like that on his lip. BTW, his mom also gets cold sores and has dad never has. I read somewhere that 80% of the pop. has been exposed to this virus, and 1 in 3 of those people actually get cold sores. So, what do you think? Do you get cold sores? Are you afraid to date anyone who's had one? Is he freaking out for no reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 PM

14,721 posts, read 23,820,061 times
I've never had one...but I know lot's of fine people that do on ocassion. I don't let it bother me. It would be a drag to have to go out in public and so I try not to make fun of or harass anyone stuck in that situation. I'm sure it's tough enough on them as it is.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM

4,216 posts, read 9,722,980 times
I get canker sores but I haven't gotten one in AGES. *Knock* on wood - I hope I didn't just jinx myself! My husband gets cold sores though and it doesn't bother me. It's not that big of a deal. I knew he got them while we were dating and it didn't bother me then either!

I usually just avoid that area and we're good to go! Tell your doctor friend to lighten up!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,920,005 times
Could it be the med student is freaking out because he is having to get use to all the different things he is seeing? His fear of getting anything right now might be very high. I know when I was in Psychology I thought I was a walking mental, basket case and that everyone around me was messed up too!

He should really have a lot more compassion for you if he is going to be a doctor. Ask him to research it instead of listening to people at work. Then he can come to his own conclusion and stop making you feel bad!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:02 AM

13,473 posts, read 21,469,398 times
Geez, if his mother gets cold sores then he probably has the virus. Cold sores are usually brought on by stress.
I once knew a guy who had a horrible breakout the night before his wedding.
Check out some websites like these so you can be informed
http://www.coldsores.cn/Causes.htm (broken link)
www.webmd.com

Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM

15,118 posts, read 23,872,680 times
You better just dump that loony guy! There are a million other people out there you could be spending your time with. Just don't tell them you had a cold sore - it's nobody's business. RUN - don't walk - away from this weird guy!

BTW, I used to get cold sores all the time when I wore braces because the braces would rub on the sides of my mouth. No, I don't have herpes!

Also, have you ever been eating and accidentally bit the inside of your mouth? That'll give you a cold sore too.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:48 AM

6,745 posts, read 11,211,007 times
I wouldn't pin my hopes on this guy. If he's that squirrelly about that, he may be trying to get out of the relationship.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 PM

429 posts, read 1,666,689 times
I agree, end it.
He sounds about as shallow as Seinfeld.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Status: "Chin up things can only get better" (set 9 days ago)

9,627 posts, read 12,819,619 times
If the richest man in Hollywood (OK, maybe not the richest, but close) can accept a known cold sore sufferer, maybe your BF can deal with it too??

http://www.skinema.com/Skinnies2006KatiesKoldSore.html

Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM

3,170 posts, read 6,331,206 times
Hi Everyone thanks for your input! I had to laugh about the Katie Holmes thing. I talked to my friend's parents and her dad is a dr. They said he's probably just freaking out since this is the first time he's seeing all this stuff in person. Her mom told me that cold sores have been around forever and if he's freaking out about kissing me when i don't even have one, he's the one w/the problem. She said he's just being silly about it and he's the one who needs help. Alright, feel free to keep sharing your opinions and stories! I want to know how many of you are married so someone w/cold sores? Do you get them too? After talking to many of my friends it seems they are related to or married to someone who gets them, but they have never got one themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships